Prospect Info: #3 Overall Pick Discussion - Part 3

Who do we take?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I still think Stan is going to get multiple trade offers after the first two picks are made and if Kelley/Bowmans guy will still be there at pick 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 they may consider a trade IF the piece they get back is substantial enough.

If we stay at 3, I trust that Kelley/Bowman will make the correct pick and I am not sure who that will be.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That video says more about York than it does Podkolzin. York has really impressed me so far at this tournament. Watch him end up being better than Blackhawks legend Bowen Byram. It's Vasili or Turcotte for me.
it wasn't a slight against Pods..just a great hockey hit and York gets little recognition overall - he is skilled offensively and plays above average away from the puck as well.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Part of the reason Podkolzin has struggled. Teams are keying heavily on him and the Russian squad this year is just OK. They don't have a ton of D that can get pucks up the ice. A lot of responsibility on the forwards this tourney to make it happen.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
If you think Byram is going to be a 1D in this league, you cannot pass him up. Period. They are the absolute hardest asset to acquire or develop. I personally think they are much more valuable than a 1C. Unless that 1C is going to be a top 10 player in the NHL, you take the 1D.

Look around the NHL. There are what, maybe 3 teams that DON'T need a top pairing defender?

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Part of the reason Podkolzin has struggled. Teams are keying heavily on him and the Russian squad this year is just OK. They don't have a ton of D that can get pucks up the ice. A lot of responsibility on the forwards this tourney to make it happen.
definitely truth to that, but I just want to see a Kurashev kid out there that just stands out regardless of the shit he plays with - Pods plays for Russia and not Belarussia...lol..there is enough talent there for him to be a top player, but I am not going to beat a dead horse, he just doesn't really stand out like Kurashev did/does on shitty teams..I want to see a kid driving the play constantly where you can see him 2-3 steps ahead of his teammates, I will watch closer as the tourney moves forward but I didn't see that so far from him.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If you think Byram is going to be a 1D in this league, you cannot pass him up. Period. They are the absolute hardest asset to acquire or develop. I personally think they are much more valuable than a 1C. Unless that 1C is going to be a top 10 player in the NHL, you take the 1D.

Look around the NHL. There are what, maybe 3 teams that DON'T need a top pairing defender?
the problem here will be Byram isn't here at the u18 and Turcotte is...so Turcotte is going to get more views/love because of the availability to watch him vs Byram who WHL playoff games are hard to catch..Byram now seems like he dropped behind Turcotte because of this bias, and I agree with you I still have Byram 3rd, but it is going to be hard to balance things out with one kid here on NHL Network and the other you have to go dig to find streams on...obviously our scouts are there in person for both kids, but for us I can see things sliding Turcotte's way right now..

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
the problem here will be Byram isn't here at the u18 and Turcotte is...so Turcotte is going to get more views/love because of the availability to watch him vs Byram who WHL playoff games are hard to catch..Byram now seems like he dropped behind Turcotte because of this bias, and I agree with you I still have Byram 3rd, but it is going to be hard to balance things out with one kid here on NHL Network and the other you have to go dig to find streams on...obviously our scouts are there in person for both kids, but for us I can see things sliding Turcotte's way right now..

I trust the Hawks' staff either way they go. They won't care about perception.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
that was my point, our scouts will be there for both kids and won't get clouded, I just meant on our board things seem to be sliding to Turcotte because he is in the spotlight right now while Byram isn't..

We are all completely uneducated on these kids, for the most part. Some of these scouts have probably watched them play 30-40 games. I won't ever pretend to know shit about draft prospects.

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
for you Pods fans....

atta boy York!!! York is very underrated on this team, forwards get all the love but he is a legit top 12 pick as well

York has been awesome this season and this tournament, I was looking at him when I thought we were gonna be picking at 12 and saw him live once this season, he’s gonna be a really good all around PMD. Plus he gets to go to an awesome program at Michigan

Reactions: AmericanDream

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
that was my point, our scouts will be there for both kids and won't get clouded, I just meant on our board things seem to be sliding to Turcotte because he is in the spotlight right now while Byram isn't..

For me personally, I’ve had Turcotte higher than Byram most of the year except very recently since I had concerns about him being injured. Him playing in this tournament, showing that he’s not only healthy, but is excelling is why he’s ranked over Byram for me currently. But it’s also a 1a/1b type situation for me where they’re so close that I’d be absolutely thrilled with either.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
for me, all year i have been wavering across the board of prospects which prospect is good to ideal. taking the consensus top 2 picks out of this equation, i am still not sure here but the rest, there are a lot to say that those players will be a good pick.

so i am going for the elite position which is the lhd . add to that some smart FA pickup and this team can really look strong for the future going forward.

Last edited:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
For me personally, I’ve had Turcotte higher than Byram most of the year except very recently since I had concerns about him being injured. Him playing in this tournament, showing that he’s not only healthy, but is excelling is why he’s ranked over Byram for me currently. But it’s also a 1a/1b type situation for me where they’re so close that I’d be absolutely thrilled with either.

This is where I'm at. I'm still leaning Byram just because I see him and Turcotte as essentially equal as BPA, and when two are equal I start finding "tiebreakers". Even a tiebreaker can be debated, of course, but I just lean toward the guy who can be a franchise d-man and that takes nothing away from Turcotte. He can be a franchise C in his own right, and we know this team could use a young, high-end C in its arsenal going forward.

If we knew Toews could be this Toews for five more years, I'm less concerned with the C position, especially with the emergence of Strome. But no one can know that.

It's not an easy decision, but it's a great one to have.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
This is where I'm at. I'm still leaning Byram just because I see him and Turcotte as essentially equal as BPA, and when two are equal I start finding "tiebreakers". Even a tiebreaker can be debated, of course, but I just lean toward the guy who can be a franchise d-man and that takes nothing away from Turcotte. He can be a franchise C in his own right, and we know this team could use a young, high-end C in its arsenal going forward.

If we knew Toews could be this Toews for five more years, I'm less concerned with the C position, especially with the emergence of Strome. But no one can know that.

exactly and he can be the heir apparent to Keith. any time to get that player/prospect, which i considered the hardest position to fill, unless there is one in the FA list. the cost will be astronomically expensive.

Reactions: Idionym

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
I’m pushing for Vancouver to get to Memorial cup so we can get a solid 3-4 game look at Byram and see what he can do when it matters most

Its likely that you will get your wish, giants are up 2 games to nil heading to spokane. The giants have been playing exceptionally well, I watched the Saturday game live and the giants were down 2 but came storming back to win 4-2.

they are getting scoring from multiple lines and seem like a team that is peaking at the right time, 8 or 9 wins in a row now in the playoffs I believe.

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

For me it comes down to nothing else other than Kieth will need to be replaced sooner than Toews will and this will likely be our one and only chance to do it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
AD....we all know it was a friendly shot at Pods.
it honestly wasn't...kid took a big hit, he got up and kept playing..it was just coincidence it was him. I like York a lot as well, he was a target at 12th...Pods is a good player, I have nothing against the kid outside of uncertainty of who he truly is and when he will come here.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
I think my top 10 list would be something like
1. Hughes
2. Kakko
3. Byram
4. Turcotte
5. Pod
6. Newhook
7. Dach
8. York