3-on-3 OT groups

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Crazy thought: instead of going Crosby-Malkin-Letang for 3-on-3 OT, why not do this to opponents:
1. Crosby-Kessel-Letang
2. Malkin-Perron-Pouliot
3. Bonino-Hornqvist-Maatta

I figured that with the addition of Kessel, there wasn't the need to overload with Crosby and Malkin in OT, since the Pens could still overwhelm with offense for at least two groups, while the third group adds a bit more defensive responsibility on top of still having at least some offensive capability. I'm not sure all that many OTs would even last long enough to get to the third group, one way or another, but it sure would be exciting!

Any other thoughts on how to go with 3-on-3 OT?

PensBandwagonerNo272*

Forgot About Sid
Sep 10, 2012
We won't need a 3rd 3 on 3 line. But I agree it won't be Crosby and Malkin on together, unless they are fully rested and it's the last shift of the period.

It'll be Crosby - Kessel - Letang, and Malkin - X - X.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah, something like that. I'd be inclined to play around with the defensemen going with each pairing. CKL has a real concentration of the speed while MPP could be a concern defensively. Maybe something more like

Crosby-Kessel-Maatta
Malkin-Perron-Letang
Bonino-Hornqvist-Pouliot

X-Bennett-Dumoulin could be interesting.

NO ****ING SCUDERI IN 3 ON 3, JOHNSTON.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
vabm beat me to it... but all I know is that Scuderi will be out there for at least one shift per OT.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Scuderi-Fehr-Farnham

That would actually make some degree of sense depending on circumstance. Like... maybe, for whatever dumb reason, coach is trying to defend and wear down the other team during 3 on 3. Stupid... but possible.

No... MJ would go with something like Malkin-Dupuis-Scuderi and then have that insufferably clueless look on his face when they inevitably hamfist the puck and the opposing team immediately goes the other way and scores.

AltDess

Jun 19, 2009
Mark it.
These coaches are so scared and so defensive they will play for a shootout.
3on3 goals will be scored because of breakdowns and turnovers leading to odd man rushes.
No coach wants to have egg on his face losing due to a 3-on-0 rush against.
3on3 OT is not going to be the wild free flowing beautiful game style people think.
Maybe to start the season until teams adjust, by January 3on3 OT will be more methodical.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
are we aware that hornqvist is our second best winger. stop mj-ing him

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
I almost think it doesn't even matter who the third person out there with Crosby and Letang is. I doubt that person will get a chance to touch the puck.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i see no reason to believe that hornqvist gets surpassed by perron in a 3 on 3 scenario considering how strong he was in 4 on 4 situations

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I don't think they can really go wrong with Malkin-Perron or Malkin-Hornqvist, tbh. Either way one of them will also get to line up on the 3rd priority for the other team.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Crazy thought: instead of going Crosby-Malkin-Letang for 3-on-3 OT, why not do this to opponents:
1. Crosby-Kessel-Letang
2. Malkin-Perron-Pouliot
3. Bonino-Hornqvist-Maatta

I'd be worried about this lines' mobility when there's so much open ice to be covered.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I just fear that Johnston won't put a line out there without a defensive anchor (or what he deems to be one). Just look at his OT lines from last year.

Letang - Crosby - Dupuis
Scuds - Malkin - Kessel
Maatta - Fehr - Horns/Kunitz

And yeah, thinking like Johnston and not using Perron and DP on purpose

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
I'd be worried about this lines' mobility when there's so much open ice to be covered.

Fair enough, but that was one I kind of threw together with the thought of having a center (Bonino), a skilled winger (Hornqvist), and Maatta.

Another option would be if you're not dealing with a faceoff and don't have the puck, go with something like: Dupuis-Maatta-Cole. The idea of that grouping would be to defend against the other team and try to get the puck back so you can then change to one of the big guys. I chose Dupuis for the combination of speed and defensive ability, but if you want more offense instead, there are certainly a number of options to choose from now!

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Mark it.
These coaches are so scared and so defensive they will play for a shootout.
3on3 goals will be scored because of breakdowns and turnovers leading to odd man rushes.
No coach wants to have egg on his face losing due to a 3-on-0 rush against.
3on3 OT is not going to be the wild free flowing beautiful game style people think.
Maybe to start the season until teams adjust, by January 3on3 OT will be more methodical.

Yeah I agree, if there's a way to slow it down and make it boring, the nhl will find a way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad