3 on 3 Hockey

OilerNut*

A local rink here has 3/4? size rink and they have a 3 on 3 league they run.

Has anyone played in a league like that?

I know i've been to a couple pickup games on the rink and we played 3 on 3 and found it more tiring than on a regular rink. Figure it would be good way to build up my stamina and skill.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
You're right, 3 on 3 hockey does tire you out more, because everybody is responsible for more of the ice. However, I don't know how your mental game will transfer if you're used to 5 on 5. I only play 3 on 3 with my friends when there's not enough of us, and it's usally quite different than a real 5 on 5 match.

Bluelineswinships

Oct 30, 2007
San Jose
there is a group of 12 of us that played in a 3 on 3 league for 5 years
we all made competitive roller hockey teams easily (4 on 4)
and now we are all playing AAA ice hockey and are amog the top players on the team

what im trying to say is that 3 on 3 works everything you have to be creative you have to have quick feet and amazing hands

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
I haven't played to many as a forward but I have a few as goalie and it doesn't favor the goalie because you see a lot more break outs than you do in 4on4 or 5on5. But if your looking to hone your skills in goal. 3on3 is good. You have to work a hell of a lot more.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I used to play organized 3 on 3 in a league (age limits and grouping similar to normal hockey so I was forced to stop).

If you're a player it's really fun, if you're a goalie it can be fun but be prepared to get scored on a lot.

I think it is a harder and better work out mainly because we would only have 1 or 2 guys on the bench so you would be out there for quite a long time and be forced to cover a lot more of the ice.

I had a really fun time with it and would recommend it.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I played two seasons of 3 on 3 summer hockey....

... it's fast. Skate or die is the motto here. It works wonders for your skating, and gives you a lot more time with the puck. Goalies pretty much get hung out to dry, as they'll face tons of breakaways and odd-man rushes. In the league I played for, all penalties were penalty shots.

You'll also sweat bucketloads. You'll get a lot of ice time, and you'll be all over the place. The league I played in used the standard 200x85 rink for 3 on 3, so it was pretty crazy.

Headcoach

Mar 29, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
www.passthepuck.net
I know i've been to a couple pickup games on the rink and we played 3 on 3 and found it more tiring than on a regular rink. Figure it would be good way to build up my stamina and skill.

I run a 3 on 3 league here every summer on our full sheet and we have two games going at one time, running half court style.

What so good about 3 on 3 is that it kind of forces you to keep your feet movin all the time. Why? If you stand still, one, you are easier to cover and two, your team mate will not pass to you. So you kind of took yourself out of the game...get it!

So if you want that pass, you always have to keep your feet moving. This means that this will force your team mate to make the tape to tape pass, right on your stick. It will kind of force your team mate to pass where you are going, not where you are at. This helps open up time and space for the pass...get it!

When you are doing this 3 on 3, you kind of have to have the same type of Mentality in this type of play as would would have if you had the man advantage in a normal 5 on 5. You have to have the type of drive to be the first one to the puck, look for the team mate and make that tape to tape pass.

It's fast and fun. Once you have done this all Summer with a couple of line mates, you guys are going to be unstoppable in the Fall season. If you can keep the same type of fluid motion within your 5 on 5 game as you do in your 3 on 3 game, you are going to score a lot of goals in the Fall. I guarantee it!

Head coach

PS: You can have 5 guys and no goalie and still do a 3 on 3!

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
Does anybody know a good adult 3 on 3 league in the Toronto area?

I was in Ottawa all summer, and the only 3 on 3 league I know is 19 and under for summers (I'll be 20 then).

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Does anybody know a good adult 3 on 3 league in the Toronto area?

I was in Ottawa all summer, and the only 3 on 3 league I know is 19 and under for summers (I'll be 20 then).

I played in that league around 3-4 years ago. It was fun. :nod:

spjon25

Jun 27, 2006
I currently play in a 3 on 3 league. It is fun at times, but can suck when you only have 1 sub and the shifts can get pretty long.

Lots of skating and pretty high scoring. Also, there are a lot of breakaways and odd man rushes

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
I currently play in a 3 on 3 league. It is fun at times, but can suck when you only have 1 sub and the shifts can get pretty long.

Lots of skating and pretty high scoring. Also, there are a lot of breakaways and odd man rushes

Yeah... during one game we had to play 4 skaters, no goalie, and no subs, which was pretty brutal.

spjon25

Jun 27, 2006
In one game we had to skate three because some dumb player (read me) decided to drop down to block a shot and took a puck to the face

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
In one game we had to skate three because some dumb player (read me) decided to drop down to block a shot and took a puck to the face
HAHA! Serves you right for taking the full cage off, hotshot :laugh:

Facemasks have been mandatory at every level of hockey I've played... why take it off if you've grown up with it?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad