3 for the heap...Post-Olympic Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter Havok

Jul 1, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
*Note: this a copy of my post from the Pens board. I'd like an league-wide and international prospective on this, thanks...

First off since we are about a couple of days removed from the restart of the season, I'd like to say...Rico may have speed, but Jani has more speed than Rico...Oh yeah, welcome back.

Number 3: Ilya Kovalchuk - Does this man have a death wish or something? He has the gaul to act as though he didn't do anything wrong as Kubina was laid out, bleeding, on the ice. If he shoved his nose any further up, it would be in his brain. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of the Czech countrymen head hunting for young Ilya. Can you say thug?

Number 2: The wicked hit on Jagr by Jarkko Ruutu- I can understand making a play to take a guy out of a play. But what what the hell was Ruutu thinking? I mean Jaromir's head was down facing the ice, and the next thing you know...CRUNCH!!! That was a serious situation. Bleeding from the head, looked totally out of it. And Ruutu gets a game misconduct...Bettman will be looking at this hit over and over and over again. He will be wearing a target on his back when the Rangers play against Vancouver...That is if they play them again this season.

And the number 1 heap of the Olympics is....

You guessed it...Russia's coach Vladimir Krikunov for not playing Malkin more. - Was it me or did Malkin absolutely make Alexander Ovechkin look like just a guy going through the motions, meanwhile Malkin is making dazzling plays to totally stop players in their tracks, as well as making scoring opportunities.

In the last 2 minutes of the Bronze metal game Malkin was doing whatever he could to get another shot in on Volkoun. Why Krikunov didn't play Malkin more is beyond me...

And now for our heap of the Olympics...

This one goes to the "Great One" and Canada's hockey community.

Wayne, Wayne, Wayne...How can I say this. Normally a captain goes down with his ship. But I guess the rats know when the boat is sinking huh? The roster looked great on paper, so I guess that in my mind makes Gretzky's Team Canada "paper champions". But going into it thinking that anything less than a gold, is a disappointment is downright arrogant. Hopefully Canada will put someone else in charge of picking players in 2010 or else you might see the same guys on the ice, in wheelchairs.

As for Canada, treating this as if you lost a world war, is inexcusable. At least you you'll have Crosby, Pheneuf, Fluery, as well as a host of talented bright young stars. I know for a fact, unless Gretzky is running team Canada in 2010, that you guys will see gold again, many times over. Cheer up guys, at least your not Team USA.

Until next time this is da' beast from da' burgh

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
lonewolf-Superbeast said:
Number 3: Ilya Kovalchuk - Does this man have a death wish or something? He has the gaul to act as though he didn't do anything wrong as Kubina was laid out, bleeding, on the ice. If he shoved his nose any further up, it would be in his brain. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of the Czech countrymen head hunting for young Ilya. Can you say thug?

And the number 1 heap of the Olympics is....

You guessed it...Russia's coach Vladimir Krikunov for not playing Malkin more. - Was it me or did Malkin absolutely make Alexander Ovechkin look like just a guy going through the motions, meanwhile Malkin is making dazzling plays to totally stop players in their tracks, as well as making scoring opportunities.

In the last 2 minutes of the Bronze metal game Malkin was doing whatever he could to get another shot in on Volkoun. Why Krikunov didn't play Malkin more is beyond me...

And now for our heap of the Olympics...

This one goes to the "Great One" and Canada's hockey community.

Wayne, Wayne, Wayne...How can I say this. Normally a captain goes down with his ship. But I guess the rats know when the boat is sinking huh? The roster looked great on paper, so I guess that in my mind makes Gretzky's Team Canada "paper champions". But going into it thinking that anything less than a gold, is a disappointment is downright arrogant. Hopefully Canada will put someone else in charge of picking players in 2010 or else you might see the same guys on the ice, in wheelchairs.

Kovalchuk was a goof, thats for sure....but I think it was really more of a Scott Steven's special that got out of hand. BTW, people are saying he only went after the guy to protect Malkin.

Quote:

" Was it me or did Malkin absolutely make Alexander Ovechkin look like just a guy going through the motions, "

Its just you. Malkin was great, but Ovechkin was better, IMHO. Both played very well, though.

And for your last point on Canada's picks and not having young guys: Sweden had a lot of "older vets" and they did fine. Russia was a rather young team, and as soon as they finished with Canada....well, their inexperience kind of hurt them. Malkin....suspended for a game, Kovalchuk with a misconduct early in a game.....

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
lonewolf-Superbeast said:

Probably just you. Ovechkin's probably been the best forward on that Russian team the whole tournament.

Of course, Malkin did play with Kharitonov. Who can, infact, miss the unmissable.

Rico Im Ur Fata

Jun 23, 2003
Hong Kong
*This is also a copy from my response to this post on the Pens board. Sorry I just want to do my part in preempting a Ovy vs Malkin flame war.*

Malkin played plenty for a 19 year old. He demonstrated his all-around complete skills playing against stars from other countries. The kid dazzled and stood out and, save for one unfortunate incident, rightfully caught the attention of everyone watching.

That said, his play takes absolutely nothing away from Ovechkin, who also performed superbly in most of the tournament. Ovechkin scored timely goals when needed and helped out just as much as Malkin in getting Russia into the semi-finals. Then the entire TEAM stopped playing a team game. As good as Malkin was, it was obvious he had a slower start and took a while to adjust.

Malkin made Ovechkin "look like just a guy going through the motion." WHAT? I am a Pens fan and still I don't understand why can't some of us just accept the fact that Ovechkin is that good. How much perverse satisfaction can we keep squeezing out of pimping up our own prospect to spite another team's prospect? At what point is this type of high-schoolish jealousy catfight going to end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->