GDT: #3 Buffalo Sabres @ Philadelphia Flyers 7:30PM 1.18.2020

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I totally forgot there was a game tonight. Looks like I picked a bad one to miss.

If you can find it somewhere, it is well worth the watch. And I don't normally say that when Pierre is part of the broadcast. There is a lot of warm and fuzzy, enjoyable on-ice moments.

Reactions: Montag DP

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

That’s what it looks like to me (Hutton too deep). Goalie guys on here, your take? @Jim Bob

The challenge is that it really is situation specific.

The goal last night actually was due in part to Hutton being overly aggressive on the puck carrier and the back door was wide open.

Hutton was outside the blue paint challenging the puck carrier that was at the half wall. The issue on that goal is how Montour butchered it more than on Hutton. That and Sam was a step or two late on the backcheck.

And it certainly wasn't due to a lack of aggressiveness.

Against the Caps, I saw some of the same stuff. He started outside the paint on the first goal and it ended up with a backdoor play for the goal.

On the second goal, Hutton was a little late in establishing his depth when the puck went from low to high. But, when Ovy took his shot, Hutton was near the top of his paint.

On the Carlson goal, he initially took a lot of ice. He certainly wasn't on his goal line and was close to the top of the paint by the time Carlson shot. He just got beat with a nice shot that was uncontested.

He was too deep on the Vrana goal. But, that was all about being relaxed and not being ready for Staal to just hand the puck over on a platter.

There are two general strategies with how to manage depth. One strategy is starting on your goal line and taking as much ice as you can. That is how Samsonov seemed to be playing for Washington.

The other is to start out taking as much ice as possible and retreating as needed. That seems to be the way that Hutton is playing. Hutton has issues and some of them are due to him being a 6'-ish guy. But, I don't believe that playing too deep has been an issue with his game so far this season.

I would say depth has been an issue on 1 out of 5 GA for Hutton. And that one was all about Staal's turnover and not really on Hutton.

Last edited:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I don't hate him. But he's not a #1 in this league. However the Sabres play him like he's one. And that's when he gets exposed.

The rumors last season and post season that he was available. No takers. That tells me what I need to know.

Our "best" D (who actually is the other Rasmus) is forced to play minutes and against opponents who are better than him.

I'd love to play him as a 3 - 4.

P.S.. I 've watched Toews of former Islander fame of late and compared Risto to him.

Uh, actually, I'm mistaken. There's no comparison. (And Toews is playing in the #3 slot right now with the Avalanche.)

Not hate. Just reality.
The game plan coming into this season so far appears to be Dahlin/Montour as the top pairing with McCabe/Risto as the 2nd pair. Maybe even a 1b at times.

Dahlin’s play appears to be the only thing to disrupt that so far. He got less ice time in game 2 after struggling in game one. He was also struggling a bit in game 2.

But even with Dahlin getting his ice time cut in game 2. Montour has been the #1 dman in 5v5 minutes each game. Risto was 3rd first two games and 2nd last night. But the top two pairs played roughly the same amount last night.

McCabe/Risto have been excellent so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
If you can find it somewhere, it is well worth the watch. And I don't normally say that when Pierre is part of the broadcast. There is a lot of warm and fuzzy, enjoyable on-ice moments.

Key word is “watch” - it’s worth a watch but not a listen. Pierre is a grotesque caricature of a broadcaster who brings a deep sorrow to those exposed.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
How funny would it be if Risto puts everything together this year and becomes a star defenseman. Hey, crazier things have happened...he’s basically the same age as Olofsson, only a few months older.

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Key word is “watch” - it’s worth a watch but not a listen. Pierre is a grotesque caricature of a broadcaster who brings a deep sorrow to those exposed.
I watched the Bills game in Spanish last week and I'll never watch in English game again if I can avoid it. If that's an option for NHL national broadcasts, I'll be there. French would be better because that's completely foreign, but, anything would be better than those clowns.
Why they don't offer an SAP track that's just silence and game sounds, I don't know. Advertising, probably? Tradition?

(No offense, Burg, you guys do important work, it's just not my cuppa)

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

WiHockeyGuy

Jan 6, 2017
The Dairy State
I forgot this was national broadcast...who took the place of "Doc"? (a cat caught in a radiator fan would be better than his screeching...)

Last night was Kenny Albert and Pierre. I don't mind Kenny Albert, honestly.

It was funny that like three of the Sabres goals seemed to have caught him off guard as there was no enthusiasm at all. I'm sure not having fans and such around makes it harder to tell sometimes.

Reactions: Chainshot

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA

It was funny that like three of the Sabres goals seemed to have caught him off guard as there was no enthusiasm at all. I'm sure not having fans and such around makes it harder to tell sometimes.
I like Kenny... I preferred him every time over Emrick.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011

I may be in the minority but I couldn't stand Doc Emrick and I really like Kenny Albert.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA

They were also calling the game on monitors from CT, they werent in the building.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
The game plan coming into this season so far appears to be Dahlin/Montour as the top pairing with McCabe/Risto as the 2nd pair. Maybe even a 1b at times.

Dahlin’s play appears to be the only thing to disrupt that so far. He got less ice time in game 2 after struggling in game one. He was also struggling a bit in game 2.

But even with Dahlin getting his ice time cut in game 2. Montour has been the #1 dman in 5v5 minutes each game. Risto was 3rd first two games and 2nd last night. But the top two pairs played roughly the same amount last night.

McCabe/Risto have been excellent so far.

Well, the numbers don't lie. Even if it's only 3 games in.

I will give McCabe lots of credit for missing that hip check at the end of last nights game however. (Which led to the Flyers score. Not absolving Hutton of any blame mind you.)

I'm biased. I admit it. I don't like McCabe's game. Never have. And Risto is not a #1 D man. Most will agree with me on that. So I have a major blind spot there.

I do hope their performance continues at a high level. Frankly, I doubt it will.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Well, the numbers don't lie. Even if it's only 3 games in.

I will give McCabe lots of credit for missing that hip check at the end of last nights game however. (Which led to the Flyers score. Not absolving Hutton of any blame mind you.)

I'm biased. I admit it. I don't like McCabe's game. Never have. And Risto is not a #1 D man. Most will agree with me on that. So I have a major blind spot there.

I do hope their performance continues at a high level. Frankly, I doubt it will.
Last season they were pretty good as a pair in one of the toughest deployments in the league.

508mins
OZS% —> 37%
CF% ——> 49%
SCF% —-> 50%
HDCF% -> 48%
xGF ———> 51%
GF% ——-> 45%

I would never argue Risto is a #1. But I would argue Krueger has found a way to get the best out of him and McCabe as pair.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Last season they were pretty good as a pair in one of the toughest deployments in the league.

508mins
OZS% —> 37%
CF% ——> 49%
SCF% —-> 50%
HDCF% -> 48%
xGF ———> 51%
GF% ——-> 45%

I would never argue Risto is a #1. But I would argue Krueger has found a way to get the best out of him and McCabe as pair.

I would add that Ralph's D scheme and the fwds buy in has helped the D overall in their own zone. There's way more support and wingers and centers are in position to break out quickly. We're not seeing as much extended time in our own zone chasing and losing pucks.

That does play to Jake and Rasmus's strengths a lot more.

Reactions: joshjull

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
Doc seemed like a good dude, with a recognizable voice, but I never cared for his calls. I prefer Kenny as well. Nice neutral announcer with a non-shrill voice and no annoying habits.

I never understood how Doc was so beloved when he uses non hockey talk to "DRIVE" his play calling. Good guy for sure but I will never miss his voice.

Reactions: WiHockeyGuy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad