3 Amigos: They're back !!! Post #55

Serge

Mar 13, 2006
Massachusetts
Since I brought it up, only fair that I answer your question.

First off, I don't think he has a shot (well barring something big) for 2017-2018. I think with Subban, the injury he suffered played a bigger role than even he cares to admit. I don't think anyone can say seriously that he wasn't well on his way prior to the injury. I, and many others think he was.

Did he bomb in his NHL starts? Most definitely he did. But I would also argue that he was not ready for NHL starts and never should have been given those starts, but we know all to well how the Bruins were trying to find a stopper behind Rask.

What I do know, and have known for the past 6 or 7 years is the fire, will, and determination that burns inside of him and for that reason alone I won't count him out yet. Whether that's with Boston or another team, well that will be determined in the near future.

As for my comment on the smaller equipment affecting Subban the least: I and many others believe, and it's open for debate until we actually see it happen, that the more athletic goaltenders won't be as effected by the reduction. While the less athletic and more technical goaltenders rely more on the "size", the athletic goaltenders will continue to rely on the mobility and ability to react.

Just my opinion, but of the 4 Bruins goaltenders he is the most athletic and for the reasons I mentioned, probably the least effected by it.

Thanks for the insight. I never met Malcolm but he seems like a driven young man - judging from interviews. I don't doubt he has the fire. And he was thrown to the wolves far too early. I hope it didn't permanently damage him.

What you mention about equipment changes is interesting. Other stoppers unaffected would be Quick, Lundquist, and Khudobin. Rask might not be affected either. But that's a topic for a different thread. Thanks again.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
If you’ve been following along here at The Scouting Post, then you know we’ve been covering some of the decisions Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney is facing at the NHL level this offseason. There’s no shortage of forward prospects knocking at the door to make the jump to the NHL. Some appear to be ready, and some do not. Today, we’ll look at Zachary Senyshyn.

I see a lot of fans on social media penciling Senyshyn into the lineup for the 2017-2018 season, and to that I must say “hold your horses.†Plenty can change between now and September and knowing how much effort Senyshyn puts into preparing himself in the offseason, I wouldn’t be surprised if he made a case for himself to be on the varsity squad. Also, the Bruins have some unanswered questions on right wing for the upcoming season and that also plays into Senyshyn’s chances.

https://scoutingpost.com/2017/05/12/dominic-tiano-whats-next-pt-8-young-gun-senyshyn-charging-ahead/

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

3 of those goals were impressive. The ot winner against Barrie, the 1st goal against London and the 2nd goal against London. The others I don't see as repeatable at the NHL level, poor goaltending and defense. Although his shot from outside against Barrie was a snipe through a high screen so maybe that one.

I don't really think the drive wide is a formula for NHL success even though one of those goals was a streak down the boards. If he were to score that way in the NHL, have to think the dmen who loses him would be hearing about it. We saw nichushkin with a similar style dominate his age group doing that and then find less room to move in the NHL.

Hope he can iron out his game he seems to have good hands in front of the net and a pretty deceptive shot. Doesn't look like he loads up all that much so the velocity suprises me.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Kirk takes a look at the remaining forward prospects with an extended look at Bjork

Even if Bjork opts to go back to school, it’s not baked in the cake that he will pursue unrestricted free agency as others have in the past, most recently, Jimmy Vesey. However, his decision to play college hockey would certainly force the Bruins to start considering their options to try and leverage their asset as opposed to getting stuck holding the bag. It’s a fair concern and one that is sure to generate endless discussion on social media, but the big point to be made in all of this is simple: if Bjork doesn’t sign, it’s his decision, and Boston acted in good faith. By several inside accounts, Boston’s alleged offer involved max money, a year off the ELC in accordance with playing 1 NHL game, and a plum spot on the big club to begin his pro career.

https://scoutingpost.com/2017/05/16...ns-pt-9-rounding-out-the-forwards/#more-10710

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Love the 3 amigos. Thanks again for posting your insights.

So our top 3 players are from the NCAA.

Is this not a concern for fans? For some reason it is for me....

It appears they could become elite players so why wouldn't they explore finding top employer, top $, choice of future/present player teammates mix, desired location, fav team, allows best opportunity to develop and garnish next best contract.

I'm hoping they want to play pro sooner than later and leave college early.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Key dates fast approaching

Of course, some of you may think it’s early, but decision time is fast approaching. In less than two weeks, Don Sweeney, Scott Bradley and company will be busy at the week-long NHL Draft Combine in Buffalo N.Y. where they make key decisions on the future of your Boston Bruins. Plenty of time will be spent watching players do some off-ice testing and they will also be conducting plenty of player interviews. It’s when a scout sees his year long work (sometimes longer) come to the forefront.

It’s also less than two weeks away that NHL teams will have to make decisions on prior year’s draft picks if they have not already signed an NHL contract. You will see the term bona fide offer used a lot, so let me explain a bona fide offer if I may.

https://scoutingpost.com/2017/05/17...or-bruins-pt-10-key-offseason-dates-to-watch/

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Thorough, easy to read outline that explains pretty much any question that I could think up. Fantastic job Dom!:handclap:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
We all talk about off season player movement. What about the front office this off season? Another assistant coach? The scouting department?

If you know me, then you know one area of concern I’ve had for the Bruins for some time now is the professional scouting department. The group is made up of Matt Lindblad, Adam Creighton, Tom McVie and Dennis Bonvie.

Creighton and McVie are the elders of the group, having been with the Bruins for 16 and 23 years respectively. There really isn’t enough of a sample size to judge Lindblad, added a year ago, and Bonvie, added two years ago. But this is one area I feel Neely and Sweeney must address this off season.

https://scoutingpost.com/2017/05/23...t-for-the-bruins-pt-12-front-office-coaching/

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Kirk takes a look at the young, up and coming d-men

The B’s young defense is shaping up, but even with the immediate splash provided by McAvoy in the 2017 NHL playoffs, there is no surefire way to predict that the team will continue to enjoy the fruits of their system to the degree we saw with their 2016 top pick. However, there are several (left-shot heavy) young blue liners who are signed (we’re not including the college kids like Ryan Lindgren, Wiley Sherman and Cameron Clarke in this particular post but will address them later) and if not playing in Boston regularly next season, will probably make cameos at some point.

https://scoutingpost.com/2017/05/24/whats-next-for-the-bruins-pt-13-the-young-d/

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I don't know. If you think Savvy was dropping hints on Twitter that's your choice. I can't say one way or another

Can't say or don't know, heh? (I kid, I kid).

I did see Savvy dropping hints. Don't know if management sees that as a viable option, but I think if his vision on the ice can translate to other players, it would definitely be a great asset.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Kirk is bang on with DeBrusk with eventual second line/power play rotation

I've been to 2 playoff games and he didn't have great games results wise but the eye ball test was a big pass

With health he looks like a productive long timer in the show

Just curious: do you think that Debrusk can become a regular 20-goal scorer in the NHL? If so, then that would be a great outcome.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Just curious: do you think that Debrusk can become a regular 20-goal scorer in the NHL? If so, then that would be a great outcome.

100% absolutely

I'm going next Tuesday if game 6

I love this kid and when I watch him he never scores

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
The 3 Amigos are back with a 90-minute podcast in which we put the finishing touch in the “What’s Next†for the Bruins series at this blog. It’s now June and that means expansion draft and NHL Entry Draft, with July giving way to the major roster-shaping period.

Listen to the pod for an idea of the shape we think the team is in and what challenges and key events Don Sweeney is focusing on. We also talk Anders Bjork, who the Vegas Golden Knights might pluck from the roster, NHL draft options, and myriad other things.

Also throw out a possibility for Ryan Spooner and Jimmy Hayes no one is talking about

Hope you all enjoy

https://scoutingpost.com/2017/06/01/3-amigos-podcast-whats-next-for-the-bruins-pt-15-the-finale/

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
another great listen, thanks gents

This^

As always, a great listen. Especially at work! :laugh:

Thank you Dom and the guys for listing out the dates of everything as well!

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
Great job guys; I was left feeling very optimistic! Well done.
Yes, I too believe this is really going to be an interesting off-season. It should be in some ways entertaining to see how it all plays out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad