GDT: 3/8/20 - 5:00PM EDT - Tampa Bay @ Detroit

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Kuch just looks off. Our supposed most talented player shouldn't be this easy to hate on. He'll have flashes of brilliance here and there, but for the most part the guy doesn't hustle, plays too cute of a game, and gets frustrated quicker than a toddler picking up a shape sorting toy for the first time.

Feels like we have to overcome his shitty play to win games nowadays.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

bigdaddio

Jan 22, 2019
Am I the only bothered by the embellishment out of whole cloth by Larkin? Embellishment when you are actually is fouled is one thing. Snapping your head back on no contact is just so cheeze. I mean losing 1 point in this game is probably inconsequential, its just the principal of the thing. I don't want hockey to be like soccer.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
Am I the only bothered by the embellishment out of whole cloth by Larkin? Embellishment when you are actually is fouled is one thing. Snapping your head back on no contact is just so cheeze. I mean losing 1 point in this game is probably inconsequential, its just the principal of the thing. I don't want hockey to be like soccer.

I can't get that worked up over it anymore because the officiating in the NHL is a disaster. The playoffs will be even worse when the refs decide to put their whistles away every game save for someone getting murdered on the ice like they did last season.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Kuch just looks off. Our supposed most talented player shouldn't be this easy to hate on. He'll have flashes of brilliance here and there, but for the most part the guy doesn't hustle, plays too cute of a game, and gets frustrated quicker than a toddler picking up a shape sorting toy for the first time.

Feels like we have to overcome his shitty play to win games nowadays.

I can't think of a player since I started watching hockey that has worse body language/attitude when things aren't going his way. It must really piss off some of the guys who hustle night in and night out and don't complain much, just to see a player of Kuch's caliber quit on plays just to pout at the referee. Even when he isn't directly involved, his frustration is visible if a play is broken up or there's a missed opportunity. Against Boston last night, it brought back memories of his play against Columbus...just completely unraveled. He really needs to learn to suck it up and move on, take some abuse and just keep playing.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I can't think of a player since I started watching hockey that has worse body language/attitude when things aren't going his way. It must really piss off some of the guys who hustle night in and night out and don't complain much, just to see a player of Kuch's caliber quit on plays just to pout at the referee. Even when he isn't directly involved, his frustration is visible if a play is broken up or there's a missed opportunity. Against Boston last night, it brought back memories of his play against Columbus...just completely unraveled. He really needs to learn to suck it up and move on, take some abuse and just keep playing.

He's spoiled and thinks he can play however he wants with no consequences...because there are no consequences for the most part. Cooper continually puts him out there when the other team pulls their goalie so he can pad his stats despite being a low energy guy/turnover machine (his takeaway last night was an exception). Cooper keeps him on the 1st PP unit despite Kuch looking like the weakest link a lot of times. He costs the team scoring chance after scoring chance with idiotic no look passes and fancy moves that go nowhere. And what happens when he does all this? Maybe he gets benched for a period every like 3 years?

The diving play in front of the net tonight was one of the first times in a long while I've seen him put his body on the line to make a play, and it was only because he was pissed that his goal got robbed by that awful high stick call. And as soon as he forgot about that he went back to his usual 1st gear pace.

I really hope he picks it up come playoff time, but I've seen no signs to suggest it, especially when you compare his play to the tenacity of the rest of the team as of late.

Reactions: Stamper

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
As for Goodrow and Coleman not producing....

Goodrow is doing his job and playing his part. Can't fault him. He's not a goal scorer. Coleman on the other hand has gotten stale. He does nothing but skate. Never makes an offensive play - that connects at least, and isn't shooting. He's been mediocre.

Coleman needs to play with a creative player. He had a lot of time with Gusev in NJ.

Reactions: DaBolts

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I'm not too bothered by this one. There was about a 10 minute stretch where they looked like they couldn't be any more bored, but, aside from that, got the better of the play. And I'm really not sure what the refs are watching lately, but it's almost like they're going out of their way to keep things close.

Antiramie

Mar 25, 2011
I'm not too bothered by this one. There was about a 10 minute stretch where they looked like they couldn't be any more bored, but, aside from that, got the better of the play. And I'm really not sure what the refs are watching lately, but it's almost like they're going out of their way to keep things close.

“Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
As for Goodrow and Coleman not producing....

Goodrow is doing his job and playing his part. Can't fault him. He's not a goal scorer. Coleman on the other hand has gotten stale. He does nothing but skate. Never makes an offensive play - that connects at least, and isn't shooting. He's been mediocre.

Yeah, Pageau as well for the Islanders - both might be a case of "someone has to score on bad teams," moreso than what their point totals indicate in terms of offense.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Played a tough game against Boston and not even 24 hours later still got a point on the road. It’s aight!

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

Reminds me of the super talented Kovalev who just wouldn't give a f*** many nights, it's funny because everyone says that Kuch is so competitive bla bla bla but body language says another story

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
said by a true "I have never played soccer, but I know all about it" kind of fan. Have you even been cleated in the ankle?

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
said by a true "I have never played soccer, but I know all about it" kind of fan. Have you even been cleated in the ankle?
... Flopping and embellishing is and always has been a part of the soccer culture. Not even the most diehard soccer fans will disagree with that. The poster said he doesn't want hockey to be like soccer in the sense of embellishing becoming a part of it and being accepted. When did he ever claim to know all about the sport?

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
... Flopping and embellishing is and always has been a part of the soccer culture. Not even the most diehard soccer fans will disagree with that. The poster said he doesn't want hockey to be like soccer in the sense of embellishing becoming a part of it and being accepted. When did he ever claim to know all about the sport?
I see your point, but, to me, these kinds of statements are reductive and simplistic. By making this blanket statement, the OP implies to be knowledgeable about what he is talking about. If he is not, then why make the comparison? What looks like "flopping" to some may be something else to others.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven
I guess I'm in a different boat regarding Coleman. He's still on a bit of a curve with me as he's still adjusting to being here for just 2 weeks, just went thru a move and helped his wife deliver their child, and adjusting to his role here. That said, the adjustment curve with Coleman is starting flatten out with me though. I'm willing to wait till towards the end of the month then start to wonder.

Maybe a few more runs of switching Killer and Kuch and see if that line gels will do the trick. If anything, I think he ends his schneid on the PK. Then the fog will lift.

Goodrow's a more linear plug-n-play. His adjustment curve was easier to flatten out.

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
Back to back games. They gave everything and took some lumps and bruises in Boston. They played on short rest and a short bench. I will take the point and let the boys rest up. Hedman's health is a priority for a playoff run. We can't be down him and Stamkos.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Didnt get to watch last nights game. Saw that McD is back and looking a bit rusty. Hope its just rust and he is getting back to game speed. Could take a little bit but will be worrisome if still looking this way with a few games left.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad