GDT: 3/29/18 - Penguins @ Devils - Reel 'Em In Edition - 7PM MSG+

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
if you're exclusively happy about the sharp decline of a career-long devil who has been quite serviceable until this season and who were were all happy to see get the captaincy when he first got it then i don't know what to tell you

it's a sad situation for me

Not at all, rather that I won't be sad at this point if (and when) we get to move on from Greene. The problem is we don't have options and I think no one likes feeling that way about such a critical role.

Not really happy about any of this though. He was a smart, solid defenseman for many years. I felt safe with him out there, almost always made the smart play once he hit his stride. I have to think the smarts are still there but during last season and much of this season, he started to look overwhelmed from a physical standpoint. I expected a gradual decline but it's been unexpectedly accelerated.

I also had no problem with him having the captaincy before, I was happy for him and honestly it was the right choice at the time. Looking at the team now however, which is worlds away from the team just 2 years ago, well I think his days as captain may be numbered. At any rate none of this matters for now, the situation is what it is...until it isn't.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I don't think he did a terrible job either. But what's maddening is instead of putting him on the 2nd or 3rd pairing for a while, they just shipped him off and put Lovejoy on the 3rd pair... I have said before that I understand why they did it but it still sucks.
But the staff knows the deal too, it's not like they are oblivious to the fact that Santini was playing ridiculously tough minutes.

Does it suck that he got number crunched this year? Yeah, but his time will come.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
i think the likelihood of taylor hall taking the ice in october with a C on his chest is extremely high.

andy greene's physical decline has been shocking, yes, but he has earned the right to not have it stripped during the season, and i think john hynes will deal with the situation appropriately for as much shit as we give him.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
i think the likelihood of taylor hall taking the ice in october with a C on his chest is extremely high.

andy greene's physical decline has been shocking, yes, but he has earned the right to not have it stripped during the season, and i think john hynes will deal with the situation appropriately for as much **** as we give him.

I don't think anyone could make a serious bid for stripping him of the C in season, no one on the team or in management would want that. It's just something that gets said in frustration by some fans as Hall became an obvious leader for the team this season. He says the right things and does the right things. I have always felt a big part of captain is to consistently lay it all out on the ice and Hall does precisely that most nights. He has helped drag this team to be in a position for meaningful games.

Reactions: Bleedred

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

andy greene's physical decline has been shocking, yes, but he has earned the right to not have it stripped during the season, and i think john hynes will deal with the situation appropriately for as much **** as we give him.

I could see Greene holding onto the C for next season and having a big transfer ceremony with Greene when Hall signs his extension.

Reactions: New Jersey

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Hall - C
Palmieri - A
Zajac - A

Then next alternate after Zajac is Carlson and we have two Jersey guys with letters.

let me dream damnit

I could see a 22-year-old Nico with an A on his sweater, too, tho, but I feel it is NJD tradition to have at least one defenseman with a letter.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
the transition to taylor hall as captain must be handled with great care and sensitivity. greener has been one of the only players we have had to be proud of during these five years in the wilderness.

I could see Greene either willingly hand it over to Hall himself or giving up the C if management comes to him and asks.

I don't see him as being a guy who would care or be offended by it. In all honesty, I think he is the type of player who would prefer not to be the captain.

Reactions: New Jersey

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
ok dream mode activate :laugh:

perhaps this ideal presser will take place with the cup on a pedestal next to them :naughty:

2019 too soon? nah, especially if we get one john carlson this summer.

I don’t think my scenario is that far out. Greene is coming back next year with multiple years left. He probably starts the season no worse than second pairing. Still an integral part of the on ice product and if they can replace Greene on the top pair he will probably look good with less responsibility. Hall can’t extend until next offseason. That makes Hall Captain for 19-20 season. Hopefully by then there are younger alternatives to wear As.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
I could see that, Hall is the captain at this point in spirit anyway regardless of who dons the C. Commensurate with an extension does seem to make the most sense. No distractions, just gets to keep doing what he's doing and that's more than enough. Gotta love how he responded to Ray's challenge during that offseason dinner. I'd say he not only met the challenge but outperformed all expectations.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Taylor Hall is the reason I want playoffs so badly. For him to have his first playoff games in our jersey in a season when Edmonton is back on the outside would be a turnaround nobody really counted on.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Taylor Hall is the reason I want playoffs so badly. For him to have his first playoff games in our jersey in a season when Edmonton is back on the outside would be a turnaround nobody really counted on.

Not only that, we need the playoffs to legitimize everything the Devils have worked for this year.

From Shero telling Hall to give it his all essentially to Hynes preaching accountability and hard work. If you end up missing, it's either going to light a fire under the players or they're going to be second guessing everything.

It's much, much easier to build off this year if you can make it to the playoffs.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
On top of that, we never know what happens next year. Maybe we get hit with massive injuries. Maybe we get a bunch of sophomore slumps. What if (God forbid) Hall goes down for an extended period? What if the goalies regress more?

While there's no doubt we're headed in the right direction, there's no guarantee we even come close to getting back to the playoffs next year (look at Edmonton). I want to take advantage of it NOW.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't think he did a terrible job either. But what's maddening is instead of putting him on the 2nd or 3rd pairing for a while, they just shipped him off and put Lovejoy on the 3rd pair... I have said before that I understand why they did it but it still sucks.
He played well on the bottom pairing last year, but then they put him on the top pairing this year and banished him for not flourishing in it.

I don’t think he did a good job doing it, but I also think his relative corsi was an anomaly. It’s almost like a goalie having an .850 save percentage over 30-40 games or whatever it is, which is almost unheard of. I think he’d probably be Andy Greene numbers in that role in a normal year.

Ech0

Oct 3, 2006
Norwood, New Jersey
On top of that, we never know what happens next year. Maybe we get hit with massive injuries. Maybe we get a bunch of sophomore slumps. What if (God forbid) Hall goes down for an extended period? What if the goalies regress more?

While there's no doubt we're headed in the right direction, there's no guarantee we even come close to getting back to the playoffs next year (look at Edmonton). I want to take advantage of it NOW.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
There is nothing dumber in hockey than the C and A stuff. So people want to strip a letter off a guys jersey and create a story just because he's not good anymore. Nobody is in the room, I mean he was herding cattle in those TMZ videos after the cup loss. Hall isn't going to be more of a leader because of a different letter on his jersey. So dumb.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
You'll often find that the best guys in any field are such loners and singular personalities, guys who are so totally focused on perfecting their craft that they couldn't possibly be the best choice for captain/leader/boss. At best, they lead by example but examples only go so far when you have a very young team/business/crew/etc.

Not saying that Hall shouldn't eventually be captain, but the C does mean different things to different people.

Greene is fine for the duration of his contract. Hopefully we can get a LHD to play with Vatanen so Greene can support Santini, Butcher or Severson again.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The real reason people want Greene stripped of the C is because people see it as the reason he's not being scratched which is silly. Besides, you're not stripping a guy of the C coming off a season where the team's overachieving.

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
For any folks claiming earlier this week that we're much nastier than FLA with hating on each other during this tight race, couple of today's comments from their oots...

"I will truly enjoy it when NJ gets swept in round 1. They're a crap team that's easy to contain. They're only able to amass the points they do because no one takes them seriously."

"New Jersey will get **** on in the playoffs and I’ll enjoy every second of it. It’s just too bad we started so bad or we’d be there instead of that hunk of dog **** and Hall."

-----

Figured I'd post it here since this is due to be closed soon anyway

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
For any folks claiming earlier this week that we're much nastier than FLA with hating on each other during this tight race, couple of today's comments from their oots...

"I will truly enjoy it when NJ gets swept in round 1. They're a crap team that's easy to contain. They're only able to amass the points they do because no one takes them seriously."

"New Jersey will get **** on in the playoffs and I’ll enjoy every second of it. It’s just too bad we started so bad or we’d be there instead of that hunk of dog **** and Hall."

-----

Figured I'd post it here since this is due to be closed soon anyway
Oh the irony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->