GDT: 3/20/18 @ San Jose Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
They prob would have lost both games anyways due to low compete level but Hynes screwed up the goalie decisions royally as a lot of us predicted.

You don't play Kink back to back for starters, plus Cory has good stats vs Anaheim and Kink had good stats vs SJ.

Hynes once again went against the grain and it hurt the team's chances.
disagree. I think #'s vs specific teams are not very telling.

Plus Cory has stunk for months now, but the reason he lost last night is because of Hynes? Or a matchup?

Again let's not blame Coach for Cory's play.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I think both guys are just playing above their roles. Zajac was good as the 3rd C. Greene (almost maybe) literally get's the toughest minutes in the league.

They def get paid too much(which should be further warning to giving guys contracts that extend into their 30's), but I think they can still be effective players if deployed right.

Greene's problem is almost entirely usage. The left side is devoid of anybody else who can not get completely obliterated, so Greene gets the unenviable task of being the punching bag for the opposition most nights. If we dropped him to a third pairing role he'd be fine.

I'm not sure why Zajac is getting lumped in here. He's actually been one of our better forwards the last couple months. He probably gets overused too, but is still a very solid #3.

I also hate the "bad leader" assessment that is thrown out a lot since nobody here has any clue what kind of a leader these players are. Just because Hall is more open and honest about things doesn't mean Greene is a shitty leader because he's not.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
honestly though these last two games feel like a dagger that could end it. they look mentally defeated and by the time they play friday they could be on the outside of the playoff bubble for the first time all season.
Meh, we've seen this pattern for awhiles now. Win 3, lose 3.

Bigger concern might be, we can't break that pattern, while our playoff competition are all winning more consistently.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
But pulling him there and having him watch from the bench yet again is good for his confidence? I know it's not clear cut, but I think I would have kept him in.

Given our current standing, we aren't exactly at a point in the season where we can afford to be patient and see how things play out like that. If we had more of a cushion in the standings, sure let's keep Cory in and let him play through it.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
disagree. I think #'s vs specific teams are not very telling.

Plus Cory has stunk for months now, but the reason he lost last night is because of Hynes? Or a matchup?

Again let's not blame Coach for Cory's play.

So you disagree but we just lost 4-2 and 6-2.

Doesn't make sense.
It made more sense to not play Kink back to back.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Given our current standing, we aren't exactly at a point in the season where we can afford to be patient and see how things play out like that. If we had more of a cushion in the standings, sure let's keep Cory in and let him play through it.
But again, at 4-1, pulling Cory, were we expecting to win last night?

And Cory will play again this year.

So what could have been a better move to get him back on track? Playing through it last night? Or pulling him?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It made more sense to play Cory in Anaheim and Kinkaid in San Jose, but given the way the team in front them played these last two games I doubt the outcome would have been much different.

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
But again, at 4-1, pulling Cory, were we expecting to win last night?

And Cory will play again this year.

So what could have been a better move to get him back on track? Playing through it last night? Or pulling him?

If a team has the attitude that the game is more than likely over, down 4-1 just halfway through the game, then we are in even bigger trouble. Sure it may not look pretty on the surface and they are well aware their chances are more difficult in this one, but to essentially throw in the towel and say, hey we are down a bunch already, let's just pack it in and move on to the next? That is the attitude of a losing team and not the attitude you can ever display as a coach particularly at this point in the season, even more so where we are being just on the cusp of a playoff spot or not.

3 goal lead is the most dangerous lead in hockey.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Cory’s game should’ve been in Anaheim, and a (rested) Kinkaid should’ve gotten San Jose.

That is absolutely mismanagement by the coach, so yes.
hindsight 20/20 though, if kinkaid had won, everyone would've been justifying it as "hot goalie, makes sense you continue with it"

i bet cory would've choked that game up too though, so he'd still be getting ripped.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I'm surprised Mick Jones has now outlived Joe by 15 years. Only 12-13 years in age, since I think he's about 3 years younger.

He already looked like hell back in the 90's.

I can't believe Wattie from The Exploited is still going. He's gotta be about 60 by now. He had a heart attack a year or two ago. And he slurs his speech really bad. It's very hard to understand anything that guy says when he's speaking anymore. It sounds like mumbling. He actually sounds like a parody skit on British accents.

Ozzy is kind of the same way, but he's much more understandable. He can make out much more of what he says.

saw DOA in calgary in fall of '14

talked with shithead after the show bit a brief moment he seemed really appreciative of the complement that i thought he was one of the best guitarists ive ever seen play.

he f***ing rips man….sooo great live

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
it's not a foregone conclusion that they win out, but if you take the past two months as a sample, two teams that are basically even in the standings and one is the hottest team in the league and the other can barely string a bunch of wins together and is relying on their backup goalie, the odds are in favor of the former

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I hope the Sharks pile it on. The devs deserve this and they can maybe use it as a wakeup call?

How many f***ing wake up calls does this team need? They go on a 6-7 game losing streak. Win two, go on 4 game losing streak, win 3, lose 3, win 2 lose 3 etc etc etc.

In that time the PP struggled to do any single thing of significance when needed to the most, and the dipshits behind the bench showed no urgency to change it up and kept rolling out the corpses of two 3rd line grinders on the top unit causing the PP to go from a top 15 PP to one of the worst in 2018.

It's beyond inconsistent. And not just not scoring, but it's just flat out terrible and takes over a minute - minute and a half just to gain the offensive zone some nights even whn it's their 3 time on it.

This staff is utterly as clueless as rookie players as what they need to do to be succesful. And the same goes for the Captain of the team, one of the worst defenders on the team and statistically one of the worst in the league. Just a lot of talk, a lot of cliches from the veteran presence and coaching staff.

They roll some of the slowest players out there when trying to hold a lead, and they have used some asinine combos when down a goal trying to tie it up.

They are so worried about face off wins, they sacrafice skill that it takes to win the games.

The only ones that seem to give a shit are the guys under 30, most of them in their first and second years.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
In that time the PP struggled to do any single thing of significance when needed to the most, and the dip****s behind the bench showed no urgency to change it up and kept rolling out the corpses of two 3rd line grinders on the top unit causing the PP to go from a top 15 PP to one of the worst in 2018.

While I agree that certain players have no business being on the powerplay, you’re reaching on how bad it’s been. They’re currently ranked 19th over all. Sure it’s in the lower half technically but saying one of the worst is a stretch.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Zajac was bumped up because of Zacha's injury. I'm not going to kill the guy. We know about his limitations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad