GDT: 3/17/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Boston vs Tampa Bay

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Let's put this out there though - 5 on 5 we didn't allow many chances. I don't know what Sergachev was doing out there against the Pastrnak line in the first place, but beyond that gaffe we didn't really give them much either. That has to be a positive.

The PK is struggling, and our PP can be too easy to play against sometimes. We play our top PP like it's 3 on 4 instead of 5 on 4.
Dotchin shouldn't have been out there against that line either. Or Kunitz-Paquette-Cally. They were dragracing us. It was brutal. We looked like a slow team last night. Smh.

I agree that I don't think it was quite as bad as it seemed. I think we'd figure out their defense in a long series too. Last night was a much needed wake-up call.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
At the same time, Boston was without their top centreman or their top pairing. That they weren't able to generate a ton of offense 5v5 shouldn't be terribly surprising but, in fairness, you can only play who your opponent ices so I won't hold that against the Lightning in terms of defensive hockey.

That said, without those three, two of which are future Hall of Famers mind you, the Lightning still couldn't generate an ounce of 5v5 pressure in the offensive zone. They had, what, 10 shots on goal in the first two periods? They couldn't generate any offense the last time they played Boston either. Lightning have zero answers for Boston's defensive structure, even when it's missing three of its most vital components, and that's shocking.
I agree about Boston's defensive structure, and it's been an issue for years. Some coaches have an answer for Coop's system, to the point that we end up looking inept. I think our players know it too. Last night they were going through the motions by the end of the game. They know when what they're being asked to do isn't working. It felt a lot like the past two years.

But we played like garbage, too. That wasn't our best showing, irrespective of whatever Boston was doing. We looked like we hadn't played in a few days. We were sloppy and out of sync. We'll see what happens when we play them again in two weeks. If the same thing happens (which I doubt), then it'll be time to worry about the postseason.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I've been hearing I doubt we play like that again for two months. It's funny at this point that people still roll out the same sorry excuses.

Steazy Doo

Jan 31, 2013
I've been hearing I doubt we play like that again for two months. It's funny at this point that people still roll out the same sorry excuses.

So what? That "excuse" acknowledges that there is an issue, but just with some hope that it'll be fixed. You said yourself a week or two ago that we could "easily kick it into another gear" or something, so why harp on people who hope to see it.

Reactions: twenty5psi

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Anyone who's watched this team for more than just a few games here and there knows that the way they're playing right now isn't anything close to the level at which they're capable of playing. The only question mark is whether or not they find a way turn it around. Maybe they don't, but you seem to be suggesting that they won't because they can't, which isn't entirely accurate.

twenty5psi

Feb 27, 2018
No sugar coating last night, although I thought they played progressively better as the game went on. Hoping Palat coming back will help on the PK.

It's one thing to practice different schemes and mindsets but when your playing against a top tier opponent you can't be out there thinking your way through things, which I think they were doing in the first.

Also, #FreeKoekkoek.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Anyone who's watched this team for more than just a few games here and there knows that the way they're playing right now isn't anything close to the level at which they're capable of playing. The only question mark is whether or not they find a way turn it around. Maybe they don't, but you seem to be suggesting that they won't because they can't, which isn't entirely accurate.

I did not say they couldn't. Feel free to quote me as saying as much. They obviously could very well flip a switch and turn from Clark Kents into Supermen. My issue is that the problems look deeper than just a switch. IMHO, we should be fine tuning this late in the year not looking like we do which is garbage. ANother issue I have is that team you are talking about...the one from the beginning of the year...we haven't seen them in a long time outside of some flashes here and there. Vasy looks average. He isn't playing at the level we need him to and his play early in the year masked some issues that are now glaring on defense. I was positive all year and when they struggled I was also always positive but these last two games have me "not seeing it". Cooper was outcoached and outclassed last night.

The team is trending the wrong way. Anyone thinking otherwise is wishing upon a star. We all see it. Hope is overrated and doesn't win you any games.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I feel like we've gotten back to a perimeter-based offense, where we spend all our time passing and missing the net, whereas at the first of the year we cycled and then forced plays directly at the net and outworked our opponents' D. Right now we're not paying the price in those dirty areas.

That's the way last night felt anyway. We had way too much possession time for so few shots.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I did not say they couldn't. Feel free to quote me as saying as much. They obviously could very well flip a switch and turn from Clark Kents into Supermen. My issue is that the problems look deeper than just a switch. IMHO, we should be fine tuning this late in the year not looking like we do which is garbage. ANother issue I have is that team you are talking about...the one from the beginning of the year...we haven't seen them in a long time outside of some flashes here and there. Vasy looks average. He isn't playing at the level we need him to and his play early in the year masked some issues that are now glaring on defense. I was positive all year and when they struggled I was also always positive but these last two games have me "not seeing it". Cooper was outcoached and outclassed last night.

The team is trending the wrong way. Anyone thinking otherwise is wishing upon a star. We all see it. Hope is overrated and doesn't win you any games.
Fair enough. For what it's worth, I agree that Vasy masked problems all year, but I think it's more a case of his play allowing the team to get lazy in front of him. But even that's not really anything new. It was kind of the same with Bishop. And at the end of the day, every Cup pretty much comes down to goaltending. If Rask wets himself Boston will get bounced early too. But Vasy's been one of the best goaltenders in the league all year long, so I like to think we still stand as good a chance as anyone else. It's just a matter of whether or not the team wants to do what they know they have to do. We'll see.

You're right that hope won't get us anywhere, but neither will pessimism. It's a choice. If you like this team, why choose to believe that they're going to fail when you could just as easily choose to believe that they're going to succeed? That's all I'm saying. I mean, nobody's happy about last night.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I feel like we've gotten back to a perimeter-based offense, where we spend all our time passing and missing the net, whereas at the first of the year we cycled and then forced plays directly at the net and outworked our opponents' D. Right now we're not paying the price in those dirty areas.

That's the way last night felt anyway. We had way too much possession time for so few shots.
I agree. But it feels like that's being done to us as opposed to us doing it to ourselves. Teams are conceding the perimeter and concentrating on walling off the net. And, yeah, we don't want to put in the work. It kind of feels like teams have our system and tendencies completely pegged.

It also doesn't help that our shots from the perimeter are just abyssmaly poor. You could hear the puck hitting the boards wide of the net last night in a way that told you it hadn't lost any velocity. Hedman, Sergachev and Dotchin were just letting it rip last night, and all they were really doing was setting up rushes the other way when the puck richoted clear out of the zone. It was a little embarrassing, honestly.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Fair enough. For what it's worth, I agree that Vasy masked problems all year, but I think it's more a case of his play allowing the team to get lazy in front of him. But even that's not really anything new. It was kind of the same with Bishop. And at the end of the day, every Cup pretty much comes down to goaltending. If Rask wets himself Boston will get bounced early too. But Vasy's been one of the best goaltenders in the league all year long, so I like to think we still stand as good a chance as anyone else. It's just a matter of whether or not the team wants to do what they know they have to do. We'll see.

You're right that hope won't get us anywhere, but neither will pessimism. It's a choice. If you like this team, why choose to believe that they're going to fail when you could just as easily choose to believe that they're going to succeed? That's all I'm saying. I mean, nobody's happy about last night.
I call it reality. It's harsh sometimes but I prefer to deal with things that way. Last night? This team hasn't played to its potential since new years.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Dotchin shouldn't have been out there against that line either. Or Kunitz-Paquette-Cally. They were dragracing us. It was brutal. We looked like a slow team last night. Smh.

I agree that I don't think it was quite as bad as it seemed. I think we'd figure out their defense in a long series too. Last night was a much needed wake-up call.

Dotchin and Hedman were the most solid defensively last night so why shouldn't they have been out there? They werent even on the ice for any goals against. The only bad play Dotchin had against him was a bouncing puck against Marchand but considering Marchand also embarrassed Hedman and Kucherov last night Dotchin held his own on the top pairing. Credit when it's due rather then blind hate.

mcD and Girardi have been a disappointment thus far and Sergachev shouldn't see anyone on the first line on any team.

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
Dotchin was solid, Sergachev the guy you want on the 1st pairing for some reason was the one struggling defensively so...
Yeah I want him there over Dotchin because Dotchin sucks. Thought I had perfectly crystallized that earlier?

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Dotchin and Hedman were the most solid defensively last night so why shouldn't they have been out there? They werent even on the ice for any goals against. The only bad play Dotchin had against him was a bouncing puck against Marchand but considering Marchand also embarrassed Hedman and Kucherov last night Dotchin held his own on the top pairing. Credit when it's due rather then blind hate.

mcD and Girardi have been a disappointment thus far and Sergachev shouldn't see anyone on the first line on any team.
You were clearly watching a different game. Dotchin had multiple unforced give aways early and was getting abused by anyone with a pulse. He doesn't skate or react fast enough for a game like last night. He's the best of what's available, I'll give him that, but he was bad even by his own standards.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You were clearly watching a different game. Dotchin had multiple unforced give aways early and was getting abused by anyone with a pulse. He doesn't skate or react fast enough for a game like last night. He's the best of what's available, I'll give him that, but he was bad even by his own standards.

lol please show me where he got "abused" by anyone last night let alone everybody like you're suggesting. Get you have an axe to grind but at least do it with some substance.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
lol please show me where he got "abused" by anyone last night let alone everybody like you're suggesting. Get you have an axe to grind but at least do it with some substance.
Everything stemmed from his lack of speed. He had nowhere to hide. He got to every loose puck a beat slow, and he was moving the puck a beat slow. He was on his limit so his passes were rushed and inaccurate, which was slowing Hedman down, and screwing our rush, because by the time he narrowly escaped the forecheck and moved the puck Boston was already set up along the blue line. And because he was with Hedman he was out there with Kuch and Stammer, and his play was impacting what they were able to do. A game like last night is simply too fast for him. That's what I was seeing.

He wasn't the only guy playing poorly, but Sergachev can at least skate and stick handle his way out of trouble on occasion. Serg just needs to be more mature/responsible about it. I've always liked Dotchin's attitude around the net after the whistle, but that doesn't win us games. And for a big guy he doesn't use his size particularly well along the boards. I really think it all comes back to his feet. And the Marchand thing would be forgiveable if he hadn't made the same exact mistake a number of other times this year.

I mean, it is what it is. I prefer him over Sustr and Coburn, and I don't think Koekoek's necessarily a better option either, although I'm always going to prefer a guy who can skate, so I think we should be giving him a final audition before the playoffs too.

Reactions: RussianGuyovich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad