GDT: 3/17/18 - 7:00PM EDT - Boston vs Tampa Bay

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
I think the idea of playing Paquette is that we are going to play a physical game. But that only works if the entire team plays that way. Only two lines were actually finishing their checks, and the thing is......it worked. Whenever our guys finished their hits all boston could do was chip the puck out or move it along the boards. When we didn't hit, they were free to come up the middle. I hate to sound like a broken record but this just screams "trying to save energy" to me. If this was game 1 of the playoffs there is no way in hell that we get the effort we saw tonight.
I like that we were trying to play a bit more physical, but we're never going to be a punishing team. We're not built that way. And ultimately we got torched by speed anyway. We should never look like the slower team. Boston suckered us into playing their game and then proceeded to own us. By the end of the game our guys looked like they knew it, too.

I do agree that this team's over the regular season already. And I'm still not worried about Boston. Killorn's miss pretty much summed up the way the night was going for us. The puck's just not bouncing our way right now. We just have to play through it.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
Big bunch of crap. They're no more tired than any other team and were just coming off 4 days off. No, they don't care about the President's Trophy but they do care about playing well heading into the playoffs yet they've squandered all of the home games they had banked and they can't kill a penalty to save their lives. I'm not saying one and done because there is a lot of talent and a strong desire to win, but stumbling to the finish line gasping for air is not the way you want to prepare for the playoff wars.
You've got your opinion and I've got mine.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
God bless Stralman. He's the one guy who really calls the team out.

Sounds like the team is mentally in shambles right now. No shock
In the team's defense, I'd wager it's been a little mentally/emotionally draining for them lately. Even when they're not playing, other teams are still nipping at their heels. So, they don't really get any days off.

And, yeah. Stralman nailed it.

Reactions: DaBolts

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
I can't possibly defend a team that thinks it's more important to "save energy" heading into the playoffs than it is to fix the warts in your game and prepare for the playoffs. You can't just flip a switch and suddenly be the Globetrotters again.

Reactions: Stammertime91

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, just throw in the towel. That'll show the rest of the league.

Never said anything close to that. I think some of you are afraid to actually make the observation that there's an issue. I was told that the last game was an anomaly...an aberration. I think it is important to recognize there's a problem instead of burying your head in the sand and acting like everything is fine.

The sky isn't falling but there's a problem. If you can't see it I can't help you.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
In the team's defense, I'd wager it's been a little mentally/emotionally draining for them lately. Even when they're not playing, other teams are still nipping at their heels. So, they don't really get any days off.

And, yeah. Stralman nailed it.

The only thing I can say is that I am relieved that there is at least one person in the locker room who openly acknowledges our bad habits rather than acting like everything is going to be fine. Combine that to Stamkos talking about negativity. If they are self conscious of what is happening then I have to imagine they'll figure it out eventually.

I actually do feel a little better if that makes any sense. I'm just glad they aren't strolling along "la de da not gonna worry" to the press. They at least see what we do and have the power to fix it

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
TBH I just hope they secure a playoff spot and then get destroyed in every game leading up to the playoffs. Eventually they're going to learn from one of them

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Never said anything close to that. I think some of you are afraid to actually make the observation that there's an issue. I was told that the last game was an anomaly...an aberration. I think it is important to recognize there's a problem instead of burying your head in the sand and acting like everything is fine.

The sky isn't falling but there's a problem. If you can't see it I can't help you.
What's the problem though? This game was similar to last game in terms of uneven puck luck. Did you see Killorn miss a wide open net? We're clearly in hockey's version of the Bermuda Triangle right now.

I mean, we got kicked in the teeth tonight, obviously. But, like last game, we did have stretches where we were dominating. Dotchin's a huge problem, but he's the best we've got, so that can't be helped. And the refs calling back every single clean zone-entry we made for offsides early in the game made it pretty hard for us to get into a rhythm.

I mean, there are problems, sure, but other things are amplifying those problems. That's what I think, anyway.

So, yeah, not ready to hit the panic button yet. My fingers on the button. I'm staring at it. I keep tapping it. But, for whatever reason, I can't quite bring myself to hit it yet.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
The only thing I can say is that I am relieved that there is at least one person in the locker room who openly acknowledges our bad habits rather than acting like everything is going to be fine. Combine that to Stamkos talking about negativity. If they are self conscious of what is happening then I have to imagine they'll figure it out eventually.

I actually do feel a little better if that makes any sense. I'm just glad they aren't strolling along "la de da not gonna worry" to the press. They at least see what we do and have the power to fix it
I agree. The Stamkos quotes were a little weird, as he made it sound like there might be a little behind the scenes stuff going on, which would be worrying.

But a time like this is where you need the veterans to step up and right the ship, and that was exactly the vibe I got from the Stralman quotes. It's exactly what I needed to hear, to be honest.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
What's the problem though?
I mean, we got kicked in the teeth tonight, obviously.

Funny...you ask then answer.

I keep hearing puck luck and now Bermuda Triangle. Wow.

Admit there's an issue and let's fix instead of pretending all is well.

Weird people don't want to admit it. Don't get it.

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Funny...you ask then answer.

I keep hearing puck luck and now Bermuda Triangle. Wow.

Admit there's an issue and let's fix instead of pretending all is well.

Weird people don't want to admit it. Don't get it.
What, specifically, is the issue? I'm seeing a bunch, but they change from week to week. What specific issue—and be as specific as possible—needs fixing?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Defense and PK just for starters...we can do a deeper dive too if you want. If you think the team looks primed for a playoff run you should lay off the drugs.

In fact, you changed my mind. Everything is way cool. They look great and some of you are probably right. They are just disinterested and saving energy. Come playoff time they will flip the switch. I've never felt so confident about a cup in my life. My bad.

Fabiobest

Italian Florida Man
Feb 4, 2017
Turin, Italy
Tonight, which player has become a garbage?
Yesterday it was Vasilevskiy...
Today...?
Hedman? Stamkos? or maybe Kucherov?
If we've a problem (the PK for example) it does not mean that in PO we'll lose quickly and in 4 games.
We've to be patient (I know, it's not easu after a game like that) and to believe in the Team and in the Organization.
If, after the post season, the results will be negative, Yzerman will fix the problems.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Team defense is bad. Not just the defenseman.

First goal: Stralman takes the puck carrier into the boards - pins him, Callahan comes in for the hit - does not get the puck, Sergachev does a fly by - does not get the puck, Paquette - watches Sergachev not get the puck - flat footed facing the Bruin heading into the zone, Kunitz towards the middle not looking behind him. At one point it's a 4v2. Two failed attempts to get the puck along the boards in which, TWO efforts to shadow the play and get involved result in them fishing out a puck in a low danger zone, in the midst of a 4v2 for Tampa - results in a goal. Kunitz doesn't even look behind him. One retrieval that shouldn't happen, happens, followed by one pass that Kunitz doesn't pick up leaves Pastrnak 1v1 with Sergachev beaten, who was the 3rd forward initially in the area. THAT CAN'T HAPPEN.

Second goal: defenseman shoots it off the end boards (smart play they kept using and we kept failing to recognize) that ends up with a Rick Nash stick lift and inside positioning from two guys on Point, Miller and both defenseman. They could've taken time to pass it before shooting it. They had three guys down low on the inside.

Third goal: shots lays in front with Girardi battling in front, knocks the man off the puck, facing Vasy, Paquette loses his stick, picks it up and is 0.5 seconds late in tying up Nash. Another battle lost down low.

We can go back and do this game after game after game. Stamkos can hop off his high horse as well. He let that goal go against Ottawa from (I believe it was the Pyatt breakaway) by not looking over his shoulder and tying up his man. Where at? In front of the net.

If I was Yzerman, I'd go after Scott Stevens (left the Minnesota job to be with his family) and offer him a position as an assiststant and hope he takes it. This team struggles down low and loses their man like crazy. They dont move their guus and leave too many sticks free in front of Vasy.

It's the fundamentals. They are lazy and unaware defensively along with struggling to clear the zone. You don't piss away January, February, March and the first week of April because you were hot early on. Sure you don't win every game and to extent not going 100% EVERY game - but not in this fashion. When they went 9-0-1, I really hope they don't think they deserved all nine right? Point with his heroics was resembling 2015 Johnson by making poor coaching and performances turn into wins. Some of those were individual efforts - not team efforts. That Calgary game they somehow managed to win a while back was the first time I lost confidence in their defensive structure. Sure they can score at will and they are good - when they feel like it, but that doesn't cut it in the playoffs. You can't take 3 months off and expect the word playoffs to suddenly remove over 30 games of scrimmage level defending. That was an easy game for Boston. They weren't pinned in their zone for more than 4-5 shifts in a 60 minute game.

Offense: no problems, best in the league
Defense: the entire team needs to be more responsible. The errors they are making have cost them a lot of leads and points lately.

Reactions: T REX and MattM92

Bolt 45

Oct 19, 2015
Defense and PK just for starters...we can do a deeper dive too if you want. If you think the team looks primed for a playoff run you should lay off the drugs.

In fact, you changed my mind. Everything is way cool. They look great and some of you are probably right. They are just disinterested and saving energy. Come playoff time they will flip the switch. I've never felt so confident about a cup in my life. My bad.
I'm not seeing issues that can't be fixed, aside from personnel. And Yzerman did what he could to fix that issue at the deadline. If the team doesn't want to work for wins, or the coaching staff can't put together a decent gameplan, then they deserve to get bounced. But nothing's been decided yet.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Let's put this out there though - 5 on 5 we didn't allow many chances. I don't know what Sergachev was doing out there against the Pastrnak line in the first place, but beyond that gaffe we didn't really give them much either. That has to be a positive.

The PK is struggling, and our PP can be too easy to play against sometimes. We play our top PP like it's 3 on 4 instead of 5 on 4.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Let's put this out there though - 5 on 5 we didn't allow many chances. I don't know what Sergachev was doing out there against the Pastrnak line in the first place, but beyond that gaffe we didn't really give them much either. That has to be a positive.

The PK is struggling, and our PP can be too easy to play against sometimes. We play our top PP like it's 3 on 4 instead of 5 on 4.

At the same time, Boston was without their top centreman or their top pairing. That they weren't able to generate a ton of offense 5v5 shouldn't be terribly surprising but, in fairness, you can only play who your opponent ices so I won't hold that against the Lightning in terms of defensive hockey.

That said, without those three, two of which are future Hall of Famers mind you, the Lightning still couldn't generate an ounce of 5v5 pressure in the offensive zone. They had, what, 10 shots on goal in the first two periods? They couldn't generate any offense the last time they played Boston either. Lightning have zero answers for Boston's defensive structure, even when it's missing three of its most vital components, and that's shocking.

Reactions: mjhfb

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->