Recalled/Assigned: 3-10 - Sabres Recall Alex Nylander from Rochester

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
It's probably also worth noting that the Amerks are in second place in the AHL, and they are playing at Charlotte on Friday and Saturday. Charlotte is best team in the AHL, so it's a big series. The Amerks also play at home against Utica on Wednesday. My guess is that Nylander's call up is based on him having 4 goals in his last 4 games - i.e., it's legit earned - but the upcoming schedule explains why they didn't call up Olofsson or Asplund or CJ Smith or Leier or any other guy who has made a case for call up recently.

I'd be shocked if this isn't a showcase and Botts doesn't trade Nylander this offseason. I'm not saying that's a great idea, but this whole thing certainly looks like it lines up that way.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Isnt this a big FU to VO who has been consistant all season.
The management do their utmost to undermine themselves and get the players to laugh behind their backs. Imagine seeing Scandella, Hunwick, Elie, Okposo being crushed on the main team game after game while you never get the opportunity...

Hasekperreault23

Nov 23, 2018
Olofsson will get his chance later, he has less NA experience and is still important to the Amerks down the stretch here.
I agree with what you are saying but all year? They had November on to call him up.To acknowledge 'hey you are doing a great job etc'.Botterill talks about earning their chances, developing etc.Just hollow words sounded legit at the time

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Olofsson will get his chance later, he has less NA experience and is still important to the Amerks down the stretch here.

Olofsson should have been ahead of Nylander in line, IMO.

He's significantly older than Alex, has more pro experience, has done more time in the Sabres organization, and has been better for the most part.

Don't get me wrong, I want them both to succeed. I just don't see the argument for giving Nylander a shot before Olofsson, except that one was picked in the 1st round and one in the 7th (which shouldn't matter anymore at this point in development).

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Nylander should have been on the team in October. The way this org operates I'm sure VO will get his earned call up in 6 months.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
9oiy1l1hejl21.jpg

Reactions: Kc232 and Fearnot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->