Recalled/Assigned: 3-10 - Sabres Recall Alex Nylander from Rochester

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Do this right, too.

None of this Larsson-Girgensons-Nylander bull****.

Skinner Eichel Nylander

or

Nylander Rodrigues Reinhart

or

Nylander Mittelstadt Reinhart

don't give him b6 deployments. Find out what the **** we have.
I was just going to post that he will probably be on a line with Larsson and Girgensons lol

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
EARNED. Finally. Should've seen this in October.

(P.S., Olofsson has also earned one months ago...)
I am happy for Nylander's callup but what kind of message is this sending to Olofsson who has been getting it done all year and is older.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Botterill: hey the season is lost now that means I can call up somebody who might actually help us win. :thumbu:

He's not ready to play in the NHL. Nothing move. I agree with someone up-thread suggesting he is being showcased so he can be moved over the summer. That makes as much sense as anything.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
At this point in the season if Housley sits him in the press box and isn’t canned Botts should be fired. There is no defending Housley pure stupidity.

Not saying Housley should be canned before seasons end because there’s no point but as soon as season ends.

Reactions: Asymmetric Solution

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Everyone has hit all the high notes:

Will he be played appropriate to his skill set or saddled on the turd line?
Will he play at all?
Why not VO?

Reactions: Willgamesh

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I forgot to include that it directly impacts the farm team’s ability to play today. Which is also stupid.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The obvious thing to do is Skinner - Eichel - Nylander.

Realistically VO should be given a look with Jack this year as well. I don’t wanna see if Nylander or VO can play as a grinder, I wanna see if they can play with skill and produce.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Guys this is a test for Phil and it’s so obvious. If Phil plays him with Larsson or Sobotka, he’s fired at the end of the game.

In all seriousness this is a weird call up to me. Nylander (from following LGA) he’s just started heating up in the past couple games. It’s not like he’s been on fire the last two months. I’ll allow myself to be corrected, though.

If Nylander is getting called up he needs to play an offensive role. Period. Full stop. This is not a guy who’s going to develop playing 4L minutes with Sobotka. Get him with a combination of Jack, Reinhart, Mittelstadt and Skinner and let’s see what can happen. Nylander is an offense first type player. Let him try and get on the scoresheet and worry about defense later.

For the record, I’d also like for them to give 1-2 more Rochester guys a call up aside from Pilut, although I’d welcome it. IMO aid be great if we could get guys like Olofsson and Asplund up for a few games.

Reactions: Goathead

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
There’s no question that the coaching staff will screw this call up. They had safer, lesser high end talent, and they screwed that up.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I forgot to include that it directly impacts the farm team’s ability to play today. Which is also stupid.

Luckily, it did not actually make a difference for Rochester. However, I can see the logic - Amerks were on a 3 games in 3 days weekend. It wouldn't be fair to have a guy (any guy, not just Nylander) play 3-in-3 on a Fri-Sat-Sun and then get get called up to play his first NHL game this year on Tuesday. Then, follow that up with games on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. The Amerks schedule isn't much better, but 7 games in 10 nights would have been a bit much.

Reactions: Chainshot

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Luckily, it did not actually make a difference for Rochester. However, I can see the logic - Amerks were on a 3 games in 3 days weekend. It wouldn't be fair to have a guy (any guy, not just Nylander) play 3-in-3 on a Fri-Sat-Sun and then get get called up to play his first NHL game this year on Tuesday. Then, follow that up with games on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. The Amerks schedule isn't much better, but 7 games in 10 nights would have been a bit much.
He will be sent down after Thursday. Jacks suspension will be over.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
He will be sent down after Thursday. Jacks suspension will be over.

Either way, the point stands. You can't have him play with Rochester Fri.-Sat.-Sun., then with Buffalo Tues.-Thurs., then with Rochester Fri.-Sat. Look at the upcoming schedule for both teams. There is no great way to call anyone up this week, but they had to call someone up. The point is that calling up that player (in this case, Nylander) TODAY - so that they did not play in today's game - actually makes sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad