3-1-Y (Draft Game)

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Thanks.
So it seems that a some people here are wanting us to land Dobson or Bouchard ahead of Boqvist. I am assuming that Boqvist is gone by the time we pick, but assuming we have our choice of any D-man save Dahlin, do people still prefer we get Dobson or Bouchard instead of Boqvist? I'd really love to hear thoughts and reasons behind this. Mind you I don't know much about these prospects so this is like draft day homework for me.
Jkuts, I see you chose all three in your OP; from what I've read I have to say I'd be thrilled with any of these D-men as well and happy with Smith.
Personally I'd take Boqvist before Bouchard or Dobson. He's smaller than them and Dobson is more developed defensively, but I think he has higher upside. He could be that truly elite D that puts up ridiculous point numbers. Dobson and Bouchard both have high upside, but not as high IMO.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Bouchard is pretty good, too. He doesn't have the same top speed, but that's probably a combination of leg strength and the crazy minutes he plays. And he's really quick, like side to side and on his edges and stuff.

Dobson just flies places, though. You're right. I would describe him as a great skater, especially for a 6'3 guy.

I find Bouchard's skating to be decidedly average. Technically it is fine, but he is missing a good deal of athleticism. I worry about how it will impact his ability to get to pucks when the game speeds up. I do not think we will see him up in transition much at the pro level with any regularity and I do not think he will be able to beat the forecheck with his feet on a consistent basis (one of my big hang ups in today's game). I get that people are in awe of the stats. They don't, however, tell the whole story.

In Bouchard's defense he is being asked to do way too much for the Knights. In a more normal environment his skating may look a bit different. I like a lot of what he brings, but I do have lingering reservations (or at least questions) about him.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I find Bouchard's skating to be decidedly average. Technically it is fine, but he is missing a good deal of athleticism. I worry about how it will impact his ability to get to pucks when the game speeds up. I do not think we will see him up in transition much at the pro level with any regularity and I do not think he will be able to beat the forecheck with his feet on a consistent basis (one of my big hang ups in today's game). I get that people are in awe of the stats. They don't, however, tell the whole story.

In Bouchard's defense he is being asked to do way too much for the Knights. In a more normal environment his skating may look a bit different. I like a lot of what he brings, but I do have lingering reservations (or at least questions) about him.

I think you nailed it at the end and that's why I'm not so worried. I think if he wasn't playing almost the entire game he wouldn't have to manage his energy so much and his skating would look better. But it's a risk taking a guy unless you're in love with his skating these days so if that scares you off, I certainly would understand. Dobson, Boqvist and Hughes are all great skaters so if getting a great skater is our prerogative there should be options available.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Dobson is a great skater.

Bouchard is pretty good, too. He doesn't have the same top speed, but that's probably a combination of leg strength and the crazy minutes he plays. And he's really quick, like side to side and on his edges and stuff.

Dobson just flies places, though. You're right. I would describe him as a great skater, especially for a 6'3 guy.

But are Hughes' weaknesses enough to negate his elite skating compared to the theirs? I suppose taller players aren't going to fly around like a guy who's 5'10" but still...

Or Boqvist, right? Is he projected to go top 3?

Well I'm assuming Boqvist is going between 4-7.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It really depends on where we draft. Again I like what is generally listed in the top 9. If we reach on that fringe center I do it with Hayton.

Hayton as a top 10 pick has way too much potential to be a big whiff. He is under a PPG on a team with 300 goals that scores 4.6 goals per game. Just not a dynamic guy offensively.

I was trying to avoid this thread, because last year I said who I wanted the Wings to avoid and then they drafted him. Hayton is really the 1 guy I'd have an issue with, but really it shouldn't even be a question because he just shouldn't go top 10-15.

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
If the Wings end up drafting 9th, what do people think of Wilde?
Seems like he's got a lot of the tools. How's the tool box?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Hayton as a top 10 pick has way too much potential to be a big whiff. He is under a PPG on a team with 300 goals that scores 4.6 goals per game. Just not a dynamic guy offensively.

I was trying to avoid this thread, because last year I said who I wanted the Wings to avoid and then they drafted him. Hayton is really the 1 guy I'd have an issue with, but really it shouldn't even be a question because he just shouldn't go top 10-15.
This is exactly how I feel. Although TBH I like Hayton's skillset a lot more than Rasmussen's. It just says a lot that Rasmussen is faster than Hayton even with like 5 inches and 30 lbs on him.

If the Wings end up drafting 9th, what do people think of Wilde?
Seems like he's got a lot of the tools. How's the tool box?
He's super toolsy, that's for sure. The upside is definitely there. But his downside gives me Sproul vibes. I haven't seen enough of him to give a reliable opinion, though.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
This is exactly how I feel. Although TBH I like Hayton's skillset a lot more than Rasmussen's. It just says a lot that Rasmussen is faster than Hayton even with like 5 inches and 30 lbs on him.

He's super toolsy, that's for sure. The upside is definitely there. But his downside gives me Sproul vibes. I haven't seen enough of him to give a reliable opinion, though.

I wonder if USNTDP players go under the radar a bit because they don't play for a team anyone cares about

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I wonder if USNTDP players go under the radar a bit because they don't play for a team anyone cares about

Nah, they get scouted a ton because there is always a high profile player on the team in recent years. Auston Matthews, Jack Eichel, Jack Hughes, etc.

I think maybe the USHL gets undervalued a little as a whole, although they do match up with the USNTDP team a fair amount.

At least Rasmussen stands out physically. Hayton doesn't stand out much at all to me.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->