Speculation: 2nd round. Who you want?

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
There's others I prefer in the 2nd but McLeod would be all kinds of value in the 3rd. He's got more tools than his big bro.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
The players I want us to get in the second round change depending on who we get in the first round and on if we make other trades. That said, I'll still join you in this exercise in futility.

These are the guys I'd want if they were available.

Early Second round:
Martin Kaut (pipedream, I know)
Vitali Kravtsov (same)
Jared McIsaac (I'm getting bothersome with these aren't I?)
Jonatan Berggren (much higher on him than most, also first realistic name)
Jake Wise (his puck skills are underrated and I believe he has top-6 center upside)
Filip Hallander
Dominik Bokk
Rasmus Sandin
+ Any of the first-round fallers, really.

Mid Second round:
Jett Woo
Ty Dellandrea
Kyle Topping
+ A few others that I forget.

Late Second round:
Ryan Merkley (at that point, on pure talent alone, he's worth a pick)
Ruslan Iskhakov
+ Those J20 Swedish guys like Carl Wassenius and Linus Karlsson if we're willing to take risks.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
He would be allllll kind of value with a late 2nd, IMO.
Noticed Dellandrea first time in TPG. Impressive. I think because first time he plays with skilled teammates. He plays on bad team, going it alone most nights. Going by past history, these kind of prospects usually jump up a notch or two when played with skill

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Noticed Dellandrea first time in TPG. Impressive. I think because first time he plays with skilled teammates. He plays on bad team, going it alone most nights. Going by past history, these kind of prospects usually jump up a notch or two when played with skill

There's a lot of things to like about him. He's first of all a centre. Played there all year, took almost 1500 faceoffs, and did alright with them. He's really young for his draft year, gets a tonne of shots, and his shot is pretty deadly.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's a lot of things to like about him. He's first of all a centre. Played there all year, took almost 1500 faceoffs, and did alright with them. He's really young for his draft year, gets a tonne of shots, and his shot is pretty deadly.

He's also got great hands. The only thing he needs to improve is his split second decision making in traffic.

BarracudaMtl

Apr 15, 2018
Albin Eriksson 6,4 207lbs RW GP: 38 G: 22 A: 18 PTS: 40

TY Dellandrea 6,0 185lbs C GP: 67 G: 27 A: 32 PTS: 59

Alexander Alexeyev 6,3 200lbs D GP: 45 G: 7 A: 30 PTS: 37

Jack McBain 6,3 197lbs C GP: 48 G: 21 A: 37 PTS: 58

Curtis Douglas 6,8 234lbs C GP: 66 G: 22 A: 24 PTS : 46 LOL

our next McCarron

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
1. Dellandrea - one of the better centers in the draft. An all situations type of guy, strong work ethic (read: character). Very skilled overall and I think a steal if we can get him.

Dellandrea is without question the one player that almost everyone in this thread included in their lists.

How likely for him to be there for our earliest 2nd round pick?

Reactions: sandviper

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dellandrea info previously posted on HF:

Brock Otten:

Dellandrea is a big center who has excelled in a scoring line role for the Firebirds this year. Hyped as one of the top puckhandlers and one on one players in the age group, Dellandrea has actually struggled in that regard because he doesn't yet possess the size/strength to consistently beat defenders. Where he has impressed is everywhere else though. Shows a willingness to fight in front of the net and in the corners and his hands are definitely top notch in close. He's also been a great presence at both ends for such a young player. At this point, I actually think Dellandrea could be the top challenger to Ryan Merkley for top OHL'er for next year's draft (given the NHL's infatuation with big, power centers).

Future Considerations:

Brings a perfect mix of skill and grit to the ice, Dellandrea has all the tools to be a pro in the very near future. Offensive instincts are off the charts, and he competes at a very high level, sacrificing his body to make a play. Potential top-25 pick in 2018.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Dellandrea is without question the one player that almost everyone in this thread included in their lists.

Dellandrea is a good fit. He has nice skills and looks like he will play C. I'd say there was a very good chance he is around at 35, and if he isn't there certainly will be others that are comparable.

We like to think of things in terms or rounds, but I actually think the picks between 20 (ish) and 40 (ish) are very similar in most drafts. This year might be a tad deeper than most on paper... of course it all changes after a few years.... and then everyone says "I would have taken ..."

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Albin Eriksson 6,4 207lbs RW GP: 38 G: 22 A: 18 PTS: 40

TY Dellandrea 6,0 185lbs C GP: 67 G: 27 A: 32 PTS: 59

Alexander Alexeyev 6,3 200lbs D GP: 45 G: 7 A: 30 PTS: 37

Jack McBain 6,3 197lbs C GP: 48 G: 21 A: 37 PTS: 58

Curtis Douglas 6,8 234lbs C GP: 66 G: 22 A: 24 PTS : 46 LOL

our next McCarron

Nothing wrong with size. Watching these playoffs and meaningful games has reminded me that size and grit certainly have a place in a good organization.... of course skills is also extremely important!

Reactions: dralaf

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Very likely imo. Will probably be there for the Hawks 2nd as well.

How do you figure The Draft Analyst had Dellandrea ranked 22nd in their January rankings?

The Draft Analyst | 2018 NHL Draft: Top-500 Rankings for January

Given how difficult it is to land a potential no. 1C, would it not be likely that some team will have him ranked like The Draft Analyst did?

Here's why I'm tempted to believe he won't make it to Round 2. As per The Draft Analyst:

There’s no way to sugarcoat it – the 2018 NHL draft is one of the thinnest for centers in quite some time. In fact, you have to go back to the 2000 draft to find the last time a pivot was not one of the first 10 players chosen. History likely is to repeat itself when the NHL converges on Dallas for the June draft, as almost a dozen elite two-way defensemen and a handful of skilled wingers are expected to bump the best of the center-ice prospects to the middle of the first round or later. Still, the position is too critical a piece to in-game strategizing, and there always are teams that put a premium on the ability to present opponents with an attack spearheaded by star centers.

Looking at The Draft Analyst's ratings for Centers, Dellandrea nabs the 8th spot:

8. Ty Dellandrea (Flint Firebirds, OHL | 6’0, 185): Toolsy two-way center with a knack for scoring in a variety of ways. Dellandrea has enough confidence in his playmaking and creativity to attempt difficult plays that end up working out anyway. He owns a very good shot and soft hands, plus he can be trusted with late-game matchups against opposing top lines.

Granted, The Draft Analyst is only one source. However, I know HF well enough to understand that we never agree on anything and here we are almost unanimously pining for Dellandrea.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
How do you figure The Draft Analyst had Dellandrea ranked 22nd in their January rankings?

Given how difficult it is to land a potential no. 1C, would it not be likely that some team will have him ranked like The Draft Analyst did?
Granted, The Draft Analyst is only one source. However, I know HF well enough to understand that we never agree on anything and here we are almost unanimously pining for Dellandrea.
Draft Analyst also has Svechnikov over Dahlin, can't take that seriously. Not saying that Dellandrea is going to make it to the 2nd round for sure, but I do believe he will make it there.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Draft Analyst also has Svechnikov over Dahlin, can't take that seriously. Not saying that Dellandrea is going to make it to the 2nd round for sure, but I do believe he will make it there.

I hope you're right. I'm wondering what other sources are saying.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Bokk, Kaut, Olofsson, Hallander, Dellandrea, Wise, O'reilly, Tychonick, Woo, Fonstad, Topping, Sandin, Addison, Alexeyev, Shafigulin, Ylonen, Berggren
You just named 17 players in round 2. Way to narrow it down.

Reactions: jaffy27

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto

Very likely imo. Will probably be there for the Hawks 2nd as well.

Yup, I am pretty confident he’ll be there for our 2nd. I think the Hawks 2nd maybe but I wouldn’t chance it, though it depends if anyone I like fell out of the first.

Reactions: ArsHabs

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
You just named 17 players in round 2. Way to narrow it down.
I'd say that's fairly narrowed down actually. How can you expect a shorter list when we don't know who will be available?

There's not a concensus at that range the same way there's one for the top 9-10 guys.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

https://www.tsn.ca/template-welcome-to-the-rasmus-dahlin-draft-1.979722

At the mid-way point of the year, scouts had him 41st on Bob Mckenzie's list. I'd bet he moves up for Bob's final list, but probably only as far as the 30-35 range.

I think there's a decent chance that he gets taken before he gets to us by another bottom team that needs center help, but I definitely don't think he'll go as high as 22nd. Especially since the teams picking near the end of the 1st round generally have very good centres so they don't have to pick one to fill a position of need.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
https://www.tsn.ca/template-welcome-to-the-rasmus-dahlin-draft-1.979722

At the mid-way point of the year, scouts had him 41st on Bob Mckenzie's list. I'd bet he moves up for Bob's final list, but probably only as far as the 30-35 range.

I think there's a decent chance that he gets taken before he gets to us by another bottom team that needs center help, but I definitely don't think he'll go as high as 22nd. Especially since the teams picking near the end of the 1st round generally have very good centres so they don't have to pick one to fill a position of need.

Except you have teams who have taken the approach of drafting centers and using them on the wing, so that they have built-in roster flexibility.

A good center can always play wing but not necessarily vice versa.

The fact that Dellandrea is touted by almost everyone here doesn't make it an irrefutable recommendation but still compelling. I believe he's the player that has appeared on almost everyone's list.

If the Habs see the player in the same manner that our posters do, then the only way to make sure to get him, is to try and move up 4-5 spots when the time comes. Otherwise, just take a calculated risk as you suggest.

Last edited:

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Except you have teams who have taken the approach of drafting centers and using them on the wing, so that they have built-in roster flexibility.

A good center can always wing but not necessarily vice versa.

The fact that Dellandrea is touted by almost everyone here doesn't make it an irrefutable recommendation but still compelling. I believe he's the player that has appeared on almost everyone's list.

If the Habs see the player in the same manner that our posters do, then the only way to make sure to get him, is to try and move up 4-5 spots when the time comes. Otherwise, just take a calculated risk as you suggest.
That's my dream to have enough C depth to worry about that - and not 3 Cs on the 3rd line when we don't have a Top 6 C or a C on W with a W on C

Reactions: Runner77

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Same here. A clear top-10 still available around early 20s. However, that would have to be a two for one for me to move up: BPA and TEAM NEED.

Example: Quinn Hughes (ranked #9) still available as a LHD in the early 20s. MON might want to move up to land him before another team picks him up.

I'd even consider moving up for Wahlstrom (ranked #7) if he slides down enough. He's listed as a RW, but of all the wingers that have been misrepresented as also being Cs, I believe he has the most upside to play that position as well, more than a Tkachuk, for example.
I do not see Wahlstrom as a center at all. I've watched most of his home games the past two years with the NTDP, and he's the prototypical sniper winger - - not a center.

Reactions: dralaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->