2ND ROUND, #51 OVERALL - AKIL THOMAS

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
Scored the game winner today. Impressed with his hustle and goal. He could be joining the Kings late this season if they move out 2 or 3 forwards.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Scored the game winner today. Impressed with his hustle and goal. He could be joining the Kings late this season if they move out 2 or 3 forwards.
He most likely gets traded to a contender in the OHL, and if they win a round or two, won't be available to the Kings. If he doesn't much more likely he'll join the Reign at the end of the year. The AHL campaign goes a week longer than the NHL at the end of the season, plus this year the Reign have a 50/50 shot at the playoffs.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
He most likely gets traded to a contender in the OHL, and if they win a round or two, won't be available to the Kings. If he doesn't much more likely he'll join the Reign at the end of the year. The AHL campaign goes a week longer than the NHL at the end of the season, plus this year the Reign have a 50/50 shot at the playoffs.

Looks as if London, Peterborough and Saginaw are the likeliest destinations. All three have a legit shot to win the OHL title so the expectation would be he’ll be playing junior hockey into late April/early May sans a trip to the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: regulate

tonellisghost

Oct 3, 2017
Thomas still doing what he has always done, work his ass off and play hard hockey. Nice skater too. Great Jrs for him considering his ltd ice time. After we fire Blake I have a feeling we will be seeing a huge youth mvmt.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Thomas still doing what he has always done, work his ass off and play hard hockey. Nice skater too. Great Jrs for him considering his ltd ice time. After we fire Blake I have a feeling we will be seeing a huge youth mvmt.

Why would they have to fire Rob Blake to see that? What’s he doing to block the team from getting younger? Perhaps they’re not ready to play in the NHL yet?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Fire Blake? a youth movement? What with the youth Blake has actually added to the franchise? More in three years than was added in the previous 8.

But yeah, fire Blake. Maybe we can do what you guys want and bring back the previous guy, seems no one else is interested in hiring him (shocking I know)

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Well, Blake did bring in Kovalchuk, Jokinen, Cammalleri, Phaneuf, Thompson and Mitchell.

I'm just messing around. Just wanted to type all those names out since it is funny that they all happened when Blake said this team was a contender. That said, I don't understand why TG is saying Blake has to go for there to be a youth movement.

Reactions: YP44 and KINGS17

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
Blake is doing a good job.
Robitaille is doing a good job.
Toffoli and Forbort aren't nearly as bad as some fans insist.
After the TDL a younger team will take its lumps, but that's how a team builds character and it's own unique identity.
Next year's team will be even younger and will go through the same thing.
Call it a "renovation."

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
This kid has such high character.

Thomas has worn the number 44 his entire hockey career and upon his arrival number 44 was worn by the late Steve Montador.

Thomas got on the phone and called the Montador family to see if they would allow for him to wear Steve’s number 44. The Montador family obliged.

Classy all around.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
Pretty classy to reach out to Montador's brother / family. I can see that Akil has certainly put on 20 pounds and some muscle. It's not just skill the Kings have been drafting recently - it's character and leaders that have skill. Many have worn a C: Thomas, Bjornfot, JAD, (co captain at Spokane) Mikey Anderson (WJC) Dudas or have worn A's. Turcotte is certainly high character and a leader. Kaliyev wearing an A this year.

Hoping Akil goes 2 points per game here on out and wins an OHL championship with the Petes. I know Ottawa 67's look pretty formidable.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Nice touch on the bottom left of his jersey..

akil-thomas-jersey.jpg

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, Blake did bring in Kovalchuk, Jokinen, Cammalleri, Phaneuf, Thompson and Mitchell.

I'm just messing around. Just wanted to type all those names out since it is funny that they all happened when Blake said this team was a contender. That said, I don't understand why TG is saying Blake has to go for there to be a youth movement.
I don't think Blake has to go in order for there to be a youth movement. Much like Taylor though who started the Kings youth movement, I don't think Blake will be the GM if and when the Kings finally climb the mountain again and become true Stanley Cup contenders. My sense is that Robitaille and company are not patient enough to pull it off and will try to go for it (just make the playoffs and anything can happen) before they have a solid foundation.

Lombardi's mistakes were in trying to hang on to long to too many of the players who participated in the 2011-12 through 2013-14 seasons. Best example was Mike Richards. Dean was pretty good though at stockpiling assets and building depth for the purpose of making trades when he felt the time was right.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Blake is doing a good job.
Robitaille is doing a good job.
Toffoli and Forbort aren't nearly as bad as some fans insist.
After the TDL a younger team will take its lumps, but that's how a team builds character and it's own unique identity.
Next year's team will be even younger and will go through the same thing.
Call it a "renovation."

can i also add Lombardi DID a good job.

Blake doing a good job and DL doing a good job are not mutually exclusive. GM's seldom get to ride the carousel twice, so even if Lombardi wanted to re-tool the club he already had his ride.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
can i also add Lombardi DID a good job.

Blake doing a good job and DL doing a good job are not mutually exclusive. GM's seldom get to ride the carousel twice, so even if Lombardi wanted to re-tool the club he already had his ride.
DL did an amazing job, end of story and then the wheels fell off that’s the story of every successful GM in history and is why they never stay in a single job for their whole careers.

As you say Blake is doing a solid job and in 2 years we will know better how good the start has been as the prospects start maturing. However at some point the wheels will fall off, the only question will be about how far he takes us before that happens. It’s the life of a GM.

Reactions: yankeeking

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad