2ND ROUND, #51 OVERALL - AKIL THOMAS

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Hate to be a wet blanket, but 'versatility' etc...I'm still just reading Trevor Lewis' scouting report. Would be great if he even becomes that guy so I'm not upset about it, I'm still just looking for a real identity that will make him more of a top-six than a middle-six prospect. I know just about everyone else is super high on him, but that's why I'm not.

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
Hate to be a wet blanket, but 'versatility' etc...I'm still just reading Trevor Lewis' scouting report. Would be great if he even becomes that guy so I'm not upset about it, I'm still just looking for a real identity that will make him more of a top-six than a middle-six prospect. I know just about everyone else is super high on him, but that's why I'm not.

You're not alone. I'm currently working on a projection of what our team will look like three years from now. Thomas isn't on it, not even as a healthy scratch. :confused:

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

I don't disagree, but I also don't think it's a bad thing.

A solid third line utility speedster who can play center and wing, in all situations? Potential of still being a top 6 player? Yes please!

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I don't disagree, but I also don't think it's a bad thing.

A solid third line utility speedster who can play center and wing, in all situations? Potential of still being a top 6 player? Yes please!

Yeah and I want to be clear I"m 100% good with that, but I feel like people are projecting him as a top-liner because of junior production when I don't think he's doing anything at an elite level, he's simply above average at everything with good-to-great speed.

You guys know how I feel about Iafallo, I'll take that guy on the roster every day. That's how Thomas is reading to me now.

Kings man 4 life

Jul 2, 2008

He's looking like better then Lewis but worst then Stoll. Hopefully a 3rd liner, plays defensively well, wins faceoffs and isn't as cursed with stone hands like Lewis, maybe some slightly dry Play-Doh.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Yeah and I want to be clear I"m 100% good with that, but I feel like people are projecting him as a top-liner because of junior production when I don't think he's doing anything at an elite level, he's simply above average at everything with good-to-great speed.

You guys know how I feel about Iafallo, I'll take that guy on the roster every day. That's how Thomas is reading to me now.

I understand.

Also important to keep in mind with Lewis, though, which I think gets forgotten (not saying you, RJ, but in general): Lewis was drafted by the Kings after completing his D+1 season. Thomas just completed his.

In his D+2 year, Lewis put up 29 fewer points in 1 fewer game than what Thomas did in his D+1 year. Lewis was also 3rd on his team in scoring, while Thomas led.

Lewis' only performance at the WJC came during his D+2 year, which is where Thomas currently is (it is also Thomas' last chance, as he turns 20 in January). He had 2 points in 7 games en route to Bronze with USA. Thomas has had much more international exposure.

My overall point is, I agree and understand the reports read a lot like Trevor Lewis. But we might have a better comparison, both on ice and on paper, if we compare this upcoming season to Lewis. Because Lewis played in a different league and the Kings haven't spent any time developing him during his d+1 year, this season will have the following parallels:
- D+2 season
- Playing in the OHL
- in the Kings organization
- playing in the top international tournament for junior players

I know it sounds obvious to say "this season will give a clearer picture than the previous ones" as that could be said for ANYONE. But I think when we're talking comparisons between these two players, it is even more true.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I get the Eric Belanger vibe sometimes from Thomas but instead of the not good enough for the top 6/too soft for the bottom 6 I think he'll be a solid if unspectacular 2nd liner.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Thomas' game translates to the pros on multiple levels, and why anyone would see that as a possible negative is beyond me.

He competes hard and conscientiously, funnels the puck well from the wall to the front with good latetal mobility. He succeeds within the defensive lines, and doesn't rely on trying to break those lines to generate offense like a Kupari. I am very confident that Thomas will have a much better NHL career than Kupari, to be honest.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Thomas' game translates to the pros on multiple levels, and why anyone would see that as a possible negative is beyond me.

He competes hard and conscientiously, funnels the puck well from the wall to the front with good latetal mobility. He succeeds within the defensive lines, and doesn't rely on trying to break those lines to generate offense like a Kupari. I am very confident that Thomas will have a much better NHL career than Kupari, to be honest.

It's not a 'negative,' and was pretty well explained by more than one poster, imo.

I just don't see him with one standout ability that would make him a top liner over a middle sixer. "no real flaws" might be an ability in and of itself, but again, that's an Andrew Cogliano, Alex Iafallo, Trevor Lewis scouting report.

Kupari is certainly more flawed, and has some individual habits that make him more boom-bust. I definitely feel better about Thomas reaching his floor, but I think it's a bold statement saying Thomas will have a MUCH better career than Kupari at this point, especially after watching Thomas just disappear at camps.

I'd be thrilled to be totally wrong and for Thomas to be a fixture on the top line for a very long time because he's an eminently likeable guy who seems to have the perfect team attitude for the next generation of Kings. I'm not down on him because I don't like him, I'm lukewarm on him because I don't see anything elite and frankly got outperformed by camp walkons.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
For me his hockey IQ pus him ahead of where Lewis was at this stage, the same with Stoll. That’s where his adaptability comes from, being smart and enough to allow others to plug into the lineup around him. Lewis became adaptable because that’s what he had to do to keep himself on the NHL, and respect to him for doing that. Lewis just has to plug in wherever he can and deliver a standard, consistent performance; do a job. Thomas’ adaptability appears to be used much more strategically.

For me Thomas has more offensive upside than Lewis ever had due to his IQ and you can see that in the evolution of his game. Lewis’ improvements in junior came simply as a result of getting stronger, and more importantly quicker. Thomas though has developed his offensive game, become grittier and plays more in the tougher areas especially in front of net.

I’m not worried about how much he stood our in development camp, how they are assessed is far more nuanced. Thomas delivers in game situations and that’s what really counts and he will be a genuine middle 6 forward at worst IMO.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For me his hockey IQ pus him ahead of where Lewis was at this stage, the same with Stoll. That’s where his adaptability comes from, being smart and enough to allow others to plug into the lineup around him. Lewis became adaptable because that’s what he had to do to keep himself on the NHL, and respect to him for doing that. Lewis just has to plug in wherever he can and deliver a standard, consistent performance; do a job. Thomas’ adaptability appears to be used much more strategically.

For me Thomas has more offensive upside than Lewis ever had due to his IQ and you can see that in the evolution of his game. Lewis’ improvements in junior came simply as a result of getting stronger, and more importantly quicker. Thomas though has developed his offensive game, become grittier and plays more in the tougher areas especially in front of net.

I’m not worried about how much he stood our in development camp, how they are assessed is far more nuanced. Thomas delivers in game situations and that’s what really counts and he will be a genuine middle 6 forward at worst IMO.

I think that's a very good point and it's evidenced by how his game changed with the Robertson trade.

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Thomas has been developing as expected. This upcoming season will really show his attributes and expose weaknesses. His game has been progressing at a consistent rate. I can see him and Tomasino being traded to recoup some draft picks. Thomas will go to a contender and will be a key addition and have another 100 plus point season. Akil will show all his skills and have a terrific season. Their will be no shortage of teams wanting his talent. Another year older with some added confidence will put him in the top 5 in scoring. If he can get near 190 lbs will help in puck control, going to be net, winning battles, stronger all around Thomas should have a solid year wherever he ends up.

Reactions: Peter James Bond II

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Good discussion on Thomas and good points by all posters / opinions. I think Finster8 (great post) sums it up accurately with these 2 sentences: "Thomas has been developing as expected. This upcoming season will really show his attributes and expose weaknesses. His game has been progressing at a consistent rate....If he can get near 190 lbs will help in puck control, going to be net, winning battles, stronger all around Thomas should have a solid year wherever he ends up"

And I like that his goals went from 22 to 38 this past season. People questioned his goal scoring ability this time last year and he put pucks in the net...I think he will get better in all areas of the game and we should remember: he's 19 years old!! He does not turn 20 until January 2nd 2020. Now is not the time anyone can say he will be a good 3rd liner and may be able to step in and play on the 2nd line. It's certainly possible. But let's see where he's at, 2 years from now. Could certainly be a 2nd line NHL forward.

Kudos to him being named Captain today. Lot's of emerging leaders and character in the system! Turcotte, Bjornfot, (wore C ) Michael Anderson (wore Team USA C ) JAD is a leader, Cal Petersen* was Captain even! And now Akil Thomas. Probably others I don't know about.

*In his junior year, Petersen was named team captain nd led his team to the 2017 Frozen Four where they lost 6–1 to the Denver Pioneers. At the conclusion of the season, Petersen was named to the Hockey East First-Team All-Stars and again named one of the finalists for the 2017 Mike Richter Award. On July 1, 2017, he signed a two-year entry-level contract with the Los Angeles Kings as an unrestricted free agent.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
I get the Eric Belanger vibe sometimes from Thomas but instead of the not good enough for the top 6/too soft for the bottom 6 I think he'll be a solid if unspectacular 2nd liner.

Belanger is a good comparison perhaps or how about Craig Conroy as well?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
You have to see how he plays against men.
I did see him play in the prospects game where the Ducks sent their 300+ games of NHL experience against the Kings prospects. Thomas was easily the best King that day.
Very smart at reading and breaking up plays and wasn't easily muscled off the puck

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
New Athletic article "He's a world-class talent": Behind Akil Thomas, the King's entrepreneurial, versatile top prospect

Ice Dogs Associate Coach Jody Hull said:
“He’s a guy who can play anywhere up and down the lineup. He can play wing, he can play centre, he can be a role guy who can move up and down if needed. But I think the biggest thing is that he’s a consistent performer night-in and night-out and shift to shift. I just know his demeanour that whether he’s playing 20 shifts or five, they’re all going to be good shifts. That’s just how he is as a player.”

Ice Dogs General Manager Joey Burke said:
“I was stunned when he fell at the draft in Dallas. I was as confident really as I’ve ever been with any of our past IceDogs picks that he would be as high as pick 19 or 20 type of things,” Joey Burke said.

“As he began to slip, it turned the excitement of our night as a staff into disappointment. I know LA got themselves a star in the second round and I’m sure they’re going to be laughing they’re way to the bank as the years go on. When it’s all said and done, people will think he should have been a first-round pick. It put a chip on his shoulder to prove to the other teams that they shouldn’t have let him slip by them.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad