2ND ROUND, #51 OVERALL - AKIL THOMAS

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
Watched Akil play for the last 2 years I live 15miles from the rink this young man is developing into a 100 pt a year guy this year. This young man fell into your lap and your organization is the winner here. Not only is he talented but is a modest and dedicated player who well continue to nothing but get better. I have met him many times through a relative he is the real deal and he will prove it on the ice. Niagara has a very strong club and are early favorites in the Eastern Division. Hope to see him in a Kings uniform in a few years.
Well he has 94pts and I believe 5 games left. That 100 pt mark should fall. Akil was voted best play maker and stick handler in the Eastern Conference Poll. He does have good vision and makes smart decisions. Noticed he is finishing off his checks trying to be more physical. He and Wilde have been the 2nd Rd steals of the draft.

Last edited:

Finster8

aka-Ant Hill Harry
Jan 18, 2015
Grimsby
GP-62 G-37 A-63 P-100 Thomas had an assist tonight as he hits that elusive club. Congrats on the ELC and the 100 pts keep up the hard work.
Edit- 102 points on the season. Niagara will trade him for a slew of picks and will be on another contender next year.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wow, Akil Thomas has really matured. He's one very focused and driven player.

Props to Mayor for doing these 5 questions Q&A's. Very cool and well done.

Kings 2019 Dev Camp Preview: Five Questions with Akil Thomas

Really sharp kid, it seems.

Really liked this quote: "Dev Camp was also an eye-opener because you see a lot of good players, where only very little things separate those players. It showed me that hard work on little elements in your game make the biggest difference."

I think of a kid like Kaliyev too who has gotten by on raw talent for so long and if that's the kind of impression these kids get--look, you were better than everyone else, now you're on relatively even footing and have to sharpen all the little things to distinguish yourself--then devcamp is a success.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I like Akil. He is one of the prospects that I am really rooting for. I like his youtube account of him goofing off playing shinny hockey.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Reactions: Peachkings1922

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Would love to have three 2nd rounders in the Kings top 9 forwards someday in Thomas (#51 overall 2018), Kaliyev (#33 overall 2019), and Fagemo (#50 overall 2019). Add in Turcotte and Kupari, and the forward depth is starting to look much better. These guys are still probably at least 3 years away from all of them being on the NHL roster at the same time, if they all make it someday.

Still much work to be done on the back end though.

Last edited:

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
Would love to have three 2nd rounders in the Kings top 9 forwards someday in Thomas (#51 overall 2018), Kaliyev (#33 overall 2019), and Fagemo (#50 overall 2019). Add in Turcotte and the forward depth is starting to look much better. These guys are still probably at least 3 years away from all of them being in the NHL roster at the same time, if they all make it someday.
Fagemo is playing in the SEL already.

I dont know his contract status but I doubt he is at least 3 years away from being in the NHL. If that is the case than he is probably just not good enough.

BTW is there a reason you think all prospects are at least 3 years away from hitting NHL surface ? You constantly say that about everyone, no offense.

It goes a lot quicker in the NHL nowadays.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012

I dont know his contract status but I doubt he is at least 3 years away from being in the NHL. If that is the case than he is probably just not good enough.

BTW is there a reason you think all prospects are at least 3 years away from hitting NHL surface ? You constantly say that about everyone, no offense.

Fagemo has one year left on his contract in Sweden.

Reactions: KINGS17

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

There were 3 18 years olds in the nhl last year and they were all bluechippers--Kotkaniemi, Dahlin, Svechnikov.

22 19 year olds got a taste, but only 6 played more than 40 games, all relative bluechippers--Brady Tkachuk, Chytil, Heiskanen, Robert Thomas, Rasmussen, Hischier.

40 20 years olds got a taste, but only 15 played more than 40 games, again relative bluechippers (or surprises like Jesper Bratt)

Those numbers all basically double at age 21.

It's a fact-based and fair assertion that 3 years is minimum for most NHL prospects.

Fagemo is a little different because this is already his draft + 1 year as he's 19 and playing vs men. I could see him AHLing next year and getting an NHL taste before full time duty the following year.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006

Maybe I wasn't clear in my statement. One maybe two of them will make it sooner. I hope ALL of them are on the roster in three years.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
There were 3 18 years olds in the nhl last year and they were all bluechippers--Kotkaniemi, Dahlin, Svechnikov.

22 19 year olds got a taste, but only 6 played more than 40 games, all relative bluechippers--Brady Tkachuk, Chytil, Heiskanen, Robert Thomas, Rasmussen, Hischier.

40 20 years olds got a taste, but only 15 played more than 40 games, again relative bluechippers (or surprises like Jesper Bratt)

Those numbers all basically double at age 21.

It's a fact-based and fair assertion that 3 years is minimum for most NHL prospects.

Fagemo is a little different because this is already his draft + 1 year as he's 19 and playing vs men. I could see him AHLing next year and getting an NHL taste before full time duty the following year.
It is just a three year span. So within two years already 40 20 years olds make the NHL. Thomas has already played his D1 year. Turcotte was just drafted 5th overall.

I explained Fagemo.

Most will play for the Kings a lot quicker than 2022/2023.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It is just a three year span. So within two years already 40 20 years olds make the NHL. Thomas has already played his D1 year. Turcotte was just drafted 5th overall.

I explained Fagemo.

Most will play for the Kings a lot quicker than 2022/2023.

Almost every one of those 24 regular pre-age-21 players was a top-15 pick at worst. No, 40 20 year olds didn't 'make' the NHL, most of those guys got less than their 9 games, like I said, only 15 played 40+ games. I can definitely see many of our AHLers doing that next year but I wouldn't call them NHLers because they got a cup of coffee.

I could see Turcotte playing a year of college and coming out and maybe a couple of others getting a taste, but statistically, that's a tiny percentage of players sticking in the NHL before age 21.

Also consider you probably don't want to roll some of those guys directly into a full schedule, for example, a guy like Mikey Anderson who has played a college schedule vs. an 82-game NHL marathon.

I guarantee almost every one of these guys plays a full AHL season with an NHL cup of coffee before sticking. K17 has it right to assert that most guys need 3 years post-draft seasoning. It's not everyone, obviously, but it's not controversial in the slightest to expect that as a development path for the above-average prospect.

You're also correct though to point out that the Europeans have a slightly different scenario because that's something we haven't had to deal much with, guys playing in mens leagues across the pond.

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Would love to have three 2nd rounders in the Kings top 9 forwards someday in Thomas (#51 overall 2018), Kaliyev (#33 overall 2019), and Fagemo (#50 overall 2019). Add in Turcotte and Kupari, and the forward depth is starting to look much better. These guys are still probably at least 3 years away from all of them being on the NHL roster at the same time, if they all make it someday.

Still much work to be done on the back end though.
And JAD who looks like a surefire 2C/3C.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
And JAD who looks like a surefire 2C/3C.
Ideally, he would be a 3C behind Vilardi and Turcotte. Some of these guys won't make it, but at least the Kings have a talent pool from to draw on for the next three to four years.

Vilardi may never make it to the NHL full time. Let's hope for the best, but Blake should plan for the worst in his case I'm afraid.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Kings finding another Clifford-like player in the 2nd or 3rd round in the next draft. Guys like him who step right into the NHL at 20 years of age and play the physical game he does are hard to come by for any team. I often wonder what a season in the AHL would have done for Clifford's confidence in terms of offensive production.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Ideally, he would be a 3C behind Vilardi and Turcotte. Some of these guys won't make it, but at least the Kings have a talent pool from to draw on for the next three to four years.

Vilardi may never make it to the NHL full time. Let's hope for the best, but Blake should plan for the worst in his case I'm afraid.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Kings finding another Clifford-like player in the 2nd or 3rd round in the next draft. Guys like him who step right into the NHL at 20 years of age and play the physical game he does are hard to come by for any team. I often wonder what a season in the AHL would have done for Clifford's confidence in terms of offensive production.

If I’m not mistaken, Clifford had some offensive upside - second line winger - when he was drafted. That never materialized, but he’s been a valuable piece for the team despite his lack of offensive production.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
If I’m not mistaken, Clifford had some offensive upside - second line winger - when he was drafted. That never materialized, but he’s been a valuable piece for the team despite his lack of offensive production.
Yeah, not many 19-year old players out there who are as big and as strong as Clifford was back then.

Reactions: kilowatt

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Even then, Clifford has been better than the average bottom sixer production wise, never mind all the other stuff

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas

I think JAD would play up much better on the wing. Amadio in my eyes is a lock for the 3C if given a fair shot... I think within 2 seasons both Kempe and Iafallo will be moved out to clear space for guys from the last 3 drafts

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I’m sure Blake is planning accordingly. The difference is that he will actually have a decent understanding of Vilardi’s status and prognosis. All we have is a bunch of speculation and supposition.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think JAD would play up much better on the wing. Amadio in my eyes is a lock for the 3C if given a fair shot... I think within 2 seasons both Kempe and Iafallo will be moved out to clear space for guys from the last 3 drafts
I don't know about a lock. Amadio needs to start making his case to stick with the Kings.

Reactions: kilowatt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad