Proposal: 2nd Overall for 5th Overall ++

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
LA really wants an elite center for its rebuild, and Ottawa would probably just as soon retain the assets it would take to move up, grab one of the centers at #3, and add a very good prospect at #5. I don't think either club likes the idea of Ottawa giving up a ransom to jump from #5 to #2.

As usual, the amount of movement likely to occur at the top of the draft is very minimal. Team E will take Lafreniere, LA the center of its choice (probably Byfield), and Ottawa the other center (probably Stutzle).

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
5th + NYI 1st + three 2nds for 2nd overall

LA only ttrades the 2nd overall if they like the defensemen more than the centers

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
If LA really has their eye on Byfield and not Stutzle, the problem in prying this pick from LA is that Byfield has potential TO EXCEED Lafrieniere. Stutzle and Laf have both had their coming out parties, quite successfully, and both looked great. The only reason why Stutzle will go below Laf is not because he's not as good, it's because he has the big German pedigree/German league question mark where as Laf has the premium Canadian boy/CHL pedigree. Both are at least AHL-ready if not NHL-ready immediately. I heard Stutzle has put on like 15 pounds of muscle since the end of the WJC, which should only increase his draft stock.

Byfield being younger, his coming out party will happen next year, in theory. That means he has two big negatives...the team who drafts him has to both wait at least an extra year (and maybe LA can't wait) for his development to continue on track and it's unknown if he will continue to develop and exceed his current level of play. But that latter negative is potentially a huge positive too, if you're willing to gamble. All Byfield has to do is equal next year what Laf did this year and he will be more valuable than Laf. He doesn't even need to exceed Laf...being an equal or close-to-equal player but as a #1C will make him clearly more valuable.

And that would be insane.

So the question is...do we go for that gamble and delay, with Kopitar, Doughty, Brown, Quick and even a possible bounce-back Carter on the books (that's like 40 mil on the books)? Or do we go for the near-sure thing in Stutzle at #2?

They didn't just look great, they looked FABULOUS. Thankfully LA is a LGBTQ-friendly city.

Reactions: Rorschach

Paddys Pub

Jul 18, 2016
Port Coquitlam
As long as Kopitar and Doughty are there it’s not a rebuild.

As a Canuck fan, I agree.
Our rebuild didn’t start until the Sedin’s retired.

LA sucks, and not a lot of good to look forward to yet.
Best of picking BPA, and trying to trade Kopitar and maybe DD for picks and prospects.
Longer you wait the harder it gets.

Reactions: Unbiased Fan

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil

Best of picking BPA, and trying to trade Kopitar and maybe DD for picks and prospects.
The sporing world is an entirely different dynamic in LA then Vancouver

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
Ottawa should stay at 3 and 5.

I truly believe LA will pick Byfield. Looking at BPA and long term needs he fills both. Yes we are stacked at center but I do worry about Vilardi’s health.

1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield

3. Stutzle- Ottawa gets best player available. Can play center, can play wing.

4. Detroit - rumors in NHL radio is they are loving Perfetti. Drysdale is a possibility but they took a big righty last year and have some right shot pups in the system. Thinks he slides to Ottawa.

5. Ottawa - Drysdale- you get your Dman.

- Worst case is Detroit grabs Drysdale and you can grab Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti- no matter what you come away with a great prospect.

- grab Askarov and you have a franchise goalie.

You guys have one of the best prospect pools in the league, the most picks in the league, I just wish your ownership situation would get better.

it’s your 3rd first that is interesting. Where is it going to land. Does someone fall. You have the picks to bump that one up.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019

That’s so true

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
LA really wants an elite center for its rebuild, and Ottawa would probably just as soon retain the assets it would take to move up, grab one of the centers at #3, and add a very good prospect at #5. I don't think either club likes the idea of Ottawa giving up a ransom to jump from #5 to #2.

As usual, the amount of movement likely to occur at the top of the draft is very minimal. Team E will take Lafreniere, LA the center of its choice (probably Byfield), and Ottawa the other center (probably Stutzle).

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself.

I'll be super happy with either Byfield or Stutzle. Then at 5, you can't go wrong with Raymond, Rossi or Drysdale.

Personally I'm hoping they can grab Drysdale, coming out of that draft with a potential top line center and top pair D is fantastic.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Trades like this doesn't happen with teams overpaying. If LA is to trade down from #2 it's because they prefer other players over Stutzle/Byfield and decide it's safe to trade down and pick up another pick or two along the way.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
LA should take Byfield. For all the clamoring about the Kings having great C depth, the reality is Vilardi is a huge question mark right now with his slower development and the fact that it seems unlikely that C will be where he will stay long term. Even at his draft there was a lot of chatter that he’d be best at wing and that was before all the injuries stopped his development.

funky

Mar 9, 2002
LA should take Byfield. For all the clamoring about the Kings having great C depth, the reality is Vilardi is a huge question mark right now with his slower development and the fact that it seems unlikely that C will be where he will stay long term. Even at his draft there was a lot of chatter that he’d be best at wing and that was before all the injuries stopped his development.

As a Kings fan I agree with you. Take the big center. Our center depth:

Kopitar - stud with a few good years left.

Carter - older, has been moved to wing

Vilardi - successful rehab, Great showing in AHL and NHL after year and a half off. May stick at center due to size and smarts but may also be used on RW.

Turcotte - I have him pegged as a perfect 2nd line center. Skates well, smart, skilled and plays a 200 ft game. Take a poor mans version of a Toews/ Mike Richards morph. Has played some wing so that is always an option

Kupari/ Madden / Kempe / Thomas - all tagged as centers but look to be wingers in LA’s plans. This is okay as we are weak at wing.

Anderson-Dolan- I see him as an elite 4th line center (if that make sense). Possibly room to grow into a 3C

Amadio - make or break season. Has shown promise and also has shown nothing.

Take the Big center. Let Kopitar mentor him. Call it a day

Reactions: go4hockey

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I am gunning for Ottawa to take Stuzle as I think he's going to be a more impactful player. Love Byfield's upside, but imo there's a lot more risk to him developing. I think Ottawa would be smart to stay at #3 and #5, assuming LA takes Byfield.

Nodoughtyboutit

May 14, 2010
The only reason I make this trade is if Ottawa overpays and in any scenario where I think it'd be worth it to say yes and move down, Ottawa wouldn't ever offer up that much.

Like the 5th, a late first and some seconds doesn't even move the needle for me.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
The 2nd overall pick is worth whatever LA want it to be.

Yeah they sure can if they want to get laughed at. If you think a team is going to trade 5th overall, Chabot/Tkachuk and more for the 2nd overall pick I want whatever you're taking.

The difference between the players available at 2 or 5 isn't worth established young star players on top of other assets. Why you don't understand that is beyond me but luckily actual NHL GMs do.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah they sure can if they want to get laughed at. If you think a team is going to trade 5th overall, Chabot/Tkachuk and more for the 2nd overall pick I want whatever you're taking.

The difference between the players available at 2 or 5 isn't worth established young star players on top of other assets. Why you don't understand that is beyond me but luckily actual NHL GMs do.
Have a good day. Stay safe.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Anyone else find it funny how teams are proposing Ottawa move up from 3 and 5 then proceed to ask for all the other picks Ottawa amassed as compensation? When an Ottawa fan says no the token response is “fine we’ll keep 1 or 2...”. We never asked, we’re 110% comfy with Stutzle/Byfield, Drysdale/Raymond the isles 1st, 33rd and 3 more 2nds.
Really it’s OK everyone, Ottawa is fine with what we have for picks.

funky

Mar 9, 2002
If LA does anything I hope it’s to gauge what it would take to move from 2 to 1.

Both LA and Ottawa have a top 5 prospect base and both will get richer in this draft with numerous picks in the top 3 rounds. People seem to be infatuated over 3 and 5 but Ottawa still has the 3rd 1st rounders and numerous top 100 picks.

do they have the ammunition to move up to #2 yes. Should they, unless it’s for the #1 then no.

to have the problem of doing absolutely nothing and receiving a Stutzle or a Byfield is absolutely ridiculous. Right there for most teams they could walk away from the draft and call it a wrap. But Ottawa then gets to pick two pics later. They can land a stud at any position at that pic whether it be a franchise goaltender, one or two really good defenseman, or a center in Rossi, a sniper in Holtz, a genius in Perfetti or super skilled Raymond.

If I was Ottawa I would be concentrating on moving some of their seconds and thirds as well as the other first to try and get up close to another top 10 pick. Quality over quantity for them

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

deaderhead28

Jul 3, 2010
If I am Dorion, I am drowning Blake in picks in exchange for giving up #2.

Sens biggest organisational hole by far is down the middle.
Fixing this by landing Byfield AND Stützle?
Almost priceless. Especially in a year where development time outside of the NHL for the non- blue chippers is a huge questionmark due to COVID-19.

We know you want a D anyways Mr. Blake.
Howabout #5, NYI 1st, #33 + another 2nd rounder?
Want us to throw in a prospect as well maybe?
Do you like Brannstrom (would have to subtract some of the picks then, though)? Or one of our roster players not named Tkatchuk or Chabot?

I know Sens fans probably wouldn't like it but if I am Dorion, I am heavily overpaying to make it happen and fix my center depth for the next 10-15 years in one draft.

But yeah. Ultimately the Kings probably won't go for it ( and shouldn't) but if I am Dorion, I am throwing the bank at Blake to make it happen...
Kings would respectfully say no,the 3rd pick wouldve to be included cause the Kings need Byfield or Stutzle.I dont see how a deal can be made.Kings arent in any position to be giving away high picks in the 1st round while rebuilding.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

Funny, one would think that trading players on expiring deals, amassing a large amount of quality picks, not signing UFAs and picking near the top of recent drafts might be understood by all as a rebuild.

What do they need to do, paint "We Are Rebuilding" on the ice?

bland

Jul 1, 2004
All the Kings need to do is decide if they want the potential of a stud top line center or a potential world class playmaker.

Do they want a guy who can do it on his own, or a guy who makes everyone else around him more dangerous? And that "everyone else" is already a damn fine group of potentially top players.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This draft looks to have a small drop off after pick three but as we’ve seen in a lot of past drafts the pick at around 5 can sometimes land you the best or close to the best player in the draft. If I’m Ottawa I hang onto pick 5 as the price to move up will be high and it’s a bit of a crap shoot whether you get a better player. Statistically your odds improve but it’s still far from certain.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
not sure la takes the risk. the drop from 2 to 5 is significant in this draft, and pick 21 and 33 probably dont make up for it.

2014: S.Reinhart for M.Dal Colle, R.Fabbri and I Barbashev
2015: J.Eichel for N.Hanifin,C.White, and M.Stephens
2016: P. Laine for O.Juolevi, J.Gauthier, and R.Asplund

these would all look terrible in hindsight. 2017 is great because peterrsson turned into a quality player and patrick is looking like a bust but it seems like more of an anomaly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad