Proposal: 2nd Overall for 5th Overall ++

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Ottawa acquires the 2nd overall for 5th overall + NYI 1st rounder 2020 + 2nd rounder 2020 +
Not sure how fair this is but things can be added on either side to balance.
LA doesn't need another C so they move down to pick Drysdale and acquire more assets along the way.

Ottawa selects Stutzle 2nd overall and Byfield 3rd overall.

Tkachuk - Byfield - Duclair
Stutzle - Brown - Batherson
Formenton - Norris - Brown
Ryan - Tierney - White

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Generically, the value is about right. That doesn't really mean much if L.A. has a clear favorite among picks in that 2-5 range, but the rumors are that they have several players even.

Reactions: themelkman

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
Ottawa acquires the 2nd overall for 5th overall + NYI 1st rounder 2020 + 2nd rounder 2020 +
LA doesn't need another C so they move down to pick Drysdale and acquire more assets along the way.

Ryan - Tierney - White

You can never have enough centres. You can always turn a centre into a winger but not vice versa. Also LA just started their rebuild and we don't know what their team will look like in 3-5 yrs down the road. Draft the best available prospect.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Kings primary need is a 1st line LW. Kings might consider the 2nd overall for the 3rd overall and the Isles 1st rounder if Ottawa wants a shot at Byfield to build the team around as their future 1C. Kings are loaded down the middle with Kopitar, Vilardi and Turcotte. The 5th, Isles first and a 2nd rounder is a nice offer, but I'm not sure they'd give up Byfield for that considering all the hype.

KingsofLA

Jan 21, 2020
Generically, the value is about right. That doesn't really mean much if L.A. has a clear favorite among picks in that 2-5 range, but the rumors are that they have several players even.
Byfield was asked on Sportnet if he was interviewed by Blake during the Virtual Zoom meetings. Byfield said he was not interviewed by Blake. Blake told Byfields agent that they wont be picking that high and did not want to bother him. The question starts at the 1:11 mark.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I think Ottawa is fine staying at five considering they have the third pick as well. They will walk away with two very good prospects and still have 5 more picks before the third round of the draft.

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Byfield was asked on Sportnet if he was interviewed by Blake during the Virtual Zoom meetings. Byfield said he was not interviewed by Blake. Blake told Byfields agent that they wont be picking that high and did not want to bother him. The question starts at the 1:11 mark.

Is that before or after the Kings got 2OA?

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Is that before or after the Kings got 2OA?

Before. The Kings will be doing their due diligence and interviewing Byfield.

LA could be convinced to move down to third, but not fifth. LA will not pass up on a chance to draft a true game-breaking offensive player.

Reactions: ricardfromage

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Byfield/Stützle are probably better prospects than Vilardi/Turcotte.

Especially if you consider that both of these guys have injury histories/durability issues to a certain degree (Turcotte less so but that was my huge concern with him at the draft and he had some lesser issues in that regard this season as well).

What you do is pick Byfield ( I think him learning from Kopi would be amazing) or Stützle and figure things out later.
You can never have too many good centers. Especially when your D is still somewhat fine with Doughty around and a few decent prospects incoming.
Wingers simply are not that important in the grand scheme of things.

If you really have to, see if you can convince Hall to sign for cheap in the offseason or take on a few contracts from teams desperate to shed cap.

But moving down in the draft to me sounds like a really stupid idea for the Kings.

I would rather move down from Lafreniere than from #2 tbh.
Centers are just so much more important and I am not convinced that Lafreniere (who is a lock to go #1) is so much better or atleast more valuable to his team in the longterm than the other guys projected to go after him...

Reactions: funky

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017

Ryan - Tierney - White
If Ottawa wants the 2nd overall pick it has to be Tkachuk or Chabot if Ottawa isn't willing to make that offer .

LA will keep the pick its doubtful they trade it unless they get what they want and that's likely some team over paying for the 2nd overall pick.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
If Ottawa wants the 2nd overall pick it has to be Tkachuk or Chabot if Ottawa isn't willing to make that offer .

LA will keep the pick its doubtful they trade it unless they get what they want and that's likely some team over paying for the 2nd overall pick.
Are you sure the Senators wouldn't just keep the #3 & #5 overall plus Tkachuk/Chabot? LOL.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The cost of moving up gets more expensive the higher you're trying to go. The odds dictate that a late 1st and an early second doesn't quite justify the swap for LA.

Reactions: funky and Rorschach

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
That sounds better for both teams versus what you proposed. LOL.
I didn't propose anything LA isnt trading that pick unless some team over pays for it.
Maybe LA is planning on making a trade for the 1st overall pick using the 2nd overall overall plus a player they are willing to trade.

Reactions: funky and Rorschach

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I didn't propose anything LA isnt trading that pick unless some team over pays for it.
Maybe LA is planning on making a trade for the 1st overall pick using the 2nd overall overall plus a player they are willing to trade.
I'm not sure what is happening here - comprehension problems. Lets say its (Ottawa sticks with #3 & #5 overall and keeps one of Tkachuk/Chabot) better than the idea you presented in post #16.

Not a fan of either team btw.

Reactions: funky

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Call it whatever you want. Take the centre. Byfield/Stutzle and Vilardi would be a great 1-2 centre punch in 3-5 yrs time. They can turn Turcotte into a winger. Time for Carter/Kopitar to call it quits by then.
May as well trade them to add a better younger centre then Byfield/Stutzle and you think Vilardi will progress into that? Last I’ve checked injuries have set him far back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad