Value of: 2nd goalie to MTL

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
Hello there,

So it seems MTL won't stop pushing for the playoffs. Games until the end of next week are super important : 5 games in 8 days. Price would probably keep the net all the time, but at this pace, it would be hard to keep the beat. In order to hope for a last little push, I'm thinking MTL should land an experienced trustworthy goalkeeper to play against Dallas next week, who have only 142 GF and on a current pace of 5-4-1. Price would play the day before against Pittsburgh.

I have two guys in mind at the moment :

- Ryan Miller (ANH). Has a lot of experience, seems to still play up to the attempts (I basically looked at his stats), would play a game here and there until the end of the actual season. The less expensive of the two with the current market, I figure.

- Jonathan Bernier (DET). Has 11 victories with Wings this season, against only 2 for Howard. Would be a good 2nd goalie for the season to come as well, has less experience but is fit to play in the appropriate role. I figure since he wins a couple of games, has a contract and allows the Red Wings ticket holders to see a couple of victories, he could be more expensive than Miller.

- Or another guy that I can't think of?

What would you think the value of these two guys would be? Do you think it's worth the prize to hope a push?

Let's discuss!

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Montreal should not be buying. And if they do a washed up backup goalie isn’t near the top of the list of what they need. They’ll ride Price until they’re out of it. No sense giving up assets/cap space to fill a need that doesn’t exist

Reactions: themelkman and Edgy

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Why?

Habs are done and not reaching the playoffs. Youngsters gain some valuable experience and look forward to next year. Future is already bright and consider them sellers.

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
No buying. Primeau is the heir apparent and will be backup in Montreal next year I think. Lindgren is good enough for now.
I don't think that 1-3-0 with 3.48 and 0,880 are good enough to keep pushing in management's mind.

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
Why?

Habs are done and not reaching the playoffs. Youngsters gain some valuable experience and look forward to next year. Future is already bright and consider them sellers.
I figure they will decide to sell or not so a day before TDL (I don't think they buy but in my opinion, taking a backup goalie isn't quite buying if you trade minor pieces).

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I figure they will decide to sell or not so a day before TDL (I don't think they buy but in my opinion, taking a backup goalie isn't quite buying if you trade minor pieces).
Miller gets to choose if he wants to go, and where he wants to go.

If he decides hed be interested in montreal, I suppose a 4th prob gets it done or a conditional pick based on wins.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Montreal should not be buying. And if they do a washed up backup goalie isn’t near the top of the list of what they need. They’ll ride Price until they’re out of it. No sense giving up assets/cap space to fill a need that doesn’t exist

Better backup goaltending is certainly a need in Montreal. It was a factor in missing the playoffs last year (as Niemi was unplayable by midseason) and it's again a problem this year. Whether it is worth giving up assets at this point given their position is questionable, and I'd say it is far more likely that they will address it in the summer, but the need certainly exists.

Reactions: FedorTyutin

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Better backup goaltending is certainly a need in Montreal. It was a factor in missing the playoffs last year (as Niemi was unplayable by midseason) and it's again a problem this year. Whether it is worth giving up assets at this point given their position is questionable, and I'd say it is far more likely that they will address it in the summer, but the need certainly exists.
They have Primeau in the system who can step into the role. He’s not being utilized right now so he doesn’t need to be protected in the expansion draft.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg

Is Lindgren hurt? Just not that good?

Asking honestly, don’t follow the Habs at all but remember him being touted as a valuable trade chip by MTL fans a year or two ago.

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
Is Lindgren hurt? Just not that good?

Asking honestly, don’t follow the Habs at all but remember him being touted as a valuable trade chip by MTL fans a year or two ago.
Well he was in lots of speculations but I think his value was never that high.

I'm pretty sure they will find somebody else this summer. Which is why I would take a shot with Ryan Miller up until the rest of the season. Didn't realize he had a modified NMC, so maybe he waits until a team who has more chances of success shows interest at the approach of TDL.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Habs would have to go something like 20-6 the rest of the way to get 99pts.
Their playoff chances have to be under 10%.
Easily sellers in the next few weeks
The only reason they aren’t confirmed sellers got now is that they’ve gone 8-3 in the last 11. They’ll wait it out a while longer

Reactions: FedorTyutin

FedorTyutin

Jan 10, 2019
The only reason they aren’t confirmed sellers got now is that they’ve gone 8-3 in the last 11. They’ll wait it out a while longer
I believe if they keep this pace and obtain like 13 pts in the possibility of 16 for the last eight games before the TDL, they might just keep their pkayers without buying (except a backup).

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
well, Montreal have one back to back remaining. So I don't think they'll go with a backup soon. So no need, and when the team gets eliminated, they'll play whoever is the backup then. So no need for a backup right now

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Fair enough but it's gonna take a miracle for them to pull it off. Looking at their schedule, they got some big games ahead. TOR, BOS, PIT, DAL and WSH in their next 7 games. If they can go 5-1-1 through that then ya never know.

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
I don’t think the Habs have any intention to push for the playoffs, if they do, Bergevin is dumber than I thought. They should be sellers and be making sure they have the highest chance they can at the number one pick in the upcoming draft in Montreal.
Paying anything for a backup that might help make the playoffs to only be bounced in the first round is foolish IMHO. Start playing Lindgren more and see what happens.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Fair enough but it's gonna take a miracle for them to pull it off. Looking at their schedule, they got some big games ahead. TOR, BOS, PIT, DAL and WSH in their next 7 games. If they can go 5-1-1 through that then ya never know.

oh I totally agree. It’s a very unlikely scenario. But they aren’t going to sell until the bottom falls out. Right now there’s still a modicum of hope

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
oh I totally agree. It’s a very unlikely scenario. But they aren’t going to sell until the bottom falls out. Right now there’s still a modicum of hope

But is that the smart play? As pointed out above. Trade now and have some guys have "surgery" or "need time away from the game" type announcements and improve those draft odds.

Can still very easily be a bottom 5-6 team and a hope/chance at Laff.
Coming from a FLA fan whose been in this spot many times, the time to sell is now but Bergy may be trying to save his job? Molson still backing him?

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
But is that the smart play? As pointed out above. Trade now and have some guys have "surgery" or "need time away from the game" type announcements and improve those draft odds.

Can still very easily be a bottom 5-6 team and a hope/chance at Laff.
Coming from a FLA fan whose been in this spot many times, the time to sell is now but Bergy may be trying to save his job? Molson still backing him?
Right or wrong. Bergevin believes the team “as is” is a playoff team. They had a bad run of injuries to the top 6 and didn’t have the depth to contend with it. Personally I’d love to see yh shut down a few guys and go for the high pick. But try to tell professional athletes to not try their hardest

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
They have Primeau in the system who can step into the role. He’s not being utilized right now so he doesn’t need to be protected in the expansion draft.

That has nothing to do with it. AHL counts as a profesionnal league AFAIK. Anyway, he will only be a 2nd year pro next year so still exempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad