2nd best Red Wing ever

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Everyone and their mother knows that its Gordie Howe who's #1. After that here are your options for #2.

Terry Sawchuk
Ted Lindsay
Red Kelly
Steve Yzerman

Although Alex Delvecchio is an all time great player he doesnt make this list. Same for Sid Abel. And as hard as it is to say anyhting bad about Steve Yzerman I dont see him winning this poll. My pick is Terry Sawchuk for sure.

Zetterberg4Captain*

Best Player- Terry Sawchuk
Best Wing- EASILY Yzerman. If Sawchuk had played all of his career it could be him but Yzerman was the heart and soul of the team for so many years.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Are we talking about greatest Red Wing within the context of a player who played for the Wings, or the greatest Red Wing within the context of what he meant to/did for the team and the city during his tenure?

Within the context of option A, the order should be:

1. Sawchuk. Unarguably one of the top four goalies in NHL history. (Roy, Plante and Hall are the others in my top four). Won four Cups, four Vezinas and was a seven-time all-star. Held most goaltending records when he died in 1970.
2. Lindsay. Very tough call between Terrible Ted and Red Kelly. But Lindsay is the second-best left winger ever, he is one of the all-time great combinations of skill, grit and tenacity, and his leadership abilities rank among the best ever.
3. Kelly. Won eight Stanley Cups. A key part of four-time Cup winning teams in Detroit and Toronto. Starred at both defence and centre. One of the most versatile players ever. Won the first-ever Norris Trophy.
4. Yzerman. Finished his career as one of the top-five scorers in NHL history. An outstanding combination of skill, class and leadership. Recognized that the most important hockey was in the playoffs. Captain of three Cup champions.

In terms of what they meant to the Red Wings, I'd give the nod to Yzerman. Longest-serving captain in NHL history with one organization just about says it all. He also captained the team to three Cups (the first one ended a 42-year drought), and was the epitomy of everything that was right about the game for much of his career.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Begging to differ. Casting my vote for Howe.

If you were building a team from scratch, who would you pick first, Howe or Lindsay? I'd go with Lindsay, one of the greatest team leaders of all time and one of the most skilled and versatile men to ever lace on skates.

Lindsay was smart, skilled, strong and mean. Howe only exhibited three of these traits in abundance.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Begging to differ. Casting my vote for Howe.

If you were building a team from scratch, who would you pick first, Howe or Lindsay? I'd go with Lindsay, one of the greatest team leaders of all time and one of the most skilled and versatile men to ever lace on skates.

Lindsay was smart, skilled, strong and mean. Howe only exhibited three of these traits in abundance.

As good as Lindsay was not taking Howe over him is crazy. Wasn't Howe top 5 in scoring for over 20 seasons?

And what of the 4 skills did Howe not possess? He was surely skilled. He was surely strong. He was surely smart. And he was surely mean.

Lindsay may have been fiester or meaner but he wasn't more skilled or stronger.

hockeyfan05

Dec 18, 2005
Detroit, MI
The Hockey News All-time Red Wings Team is:

Howe-Yzerman-Lindsay
Lidstrom-Kelly
Sawchuk
Coach- Jack Adams

Second Team
Fedorov-Delvecchio-Aurie
Stewart-Pronovost
Lumley

SGY19

Mar 26, 2006
Howe is the second best Red Wing ever.

Yzerman is the best Red Wing ever.

I have seen both of these guys play and imo there's no contest. Yzerman was by far the better player.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Howe is the second best Red Wing ever.

Yzerman is the best Red Wing ever.

I have seen both of these guys play and imo there's no contest. Yzerman was by far the better player.

I doubt you are old enough to have seen Howe play. Where did you see him play a couple of clips?

Howe is clearly better than Yzerman. There is not even a possible good argument to be made that he wasn't better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad