2nd best player in the league!

Who is the 2nd best player in the league?

• Total voters

Ringo13

Jul 9, 2007
Not going to vote because 2nd place is a tie for me. Initially I thought Draisaitl. So I asked myself if I would trade him for any player on the list. The answer to me is a Hedman Draisaitl trade 1 for 1 is about as fair as it gets! My list:
1. McDavid
2. Draisaitl/Hedman
3. Mackinnon
4. Kucherov
5. Matthews/Crosby/Kane

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
Matthews is the 2nd best player in the NHL.

McDavid

Matthews
MacKinnon
Panarin
Kucherov

eUeudTA2z9I0m21YpG8uvnEGO2bGsRsanCA_5WRGGjQ.png

keglu

Jul 11, 2014
Kucherov 128 poing ross hart win followed up by 34 points in 25 playoff games leading the playoffs and winning cup the next season....

But he was arguably 3rd best player on his own team on this playoffs run.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
Anyone who says Matthews
MacKinnon is smoking some real good hydro. Leon Draisaitl by a mile ahead of else.

Reactions: dukeofjive

VinikToWinIt

Number 1 Bull****
Jun 15, 2014
South Florida
Frankly, this is probably blasphemy on these boards but I don't see why MacKinnon is considered to be in a different tier than Nikita Kucherov.

They both joined the NHL in 2013-2014, with Kucherov starting on the 4th line and MacKinnon already in a prominent role. The way I see it, MacKinnon took his step forward in the 2017-2018, when he broke out for 97 points, so that's where I'll draw the line for comparison. Kucherov also took a step up that season, and both turned into the players they are today.

Pre 2017-2018:
MacKinnon - 0.687 P/GP
Kucherov - 0.821 P/GP

2017-2018 to today:
MacKinnon - 1.295 P/GP
Kucherov - 1.361 P/GP

Since their rookie seasons (unfair comparison with Kucherov scratched/on the 4th line), MacKinnon has outpaced Kucherov a total of 2 of 6 seasons, one of which was by 0.06 PPG.

Even MacKinnon's (career high) pace this season is slightly lower than the average of Kucherov's post-2017 pace.

Sure, there are other arguments to make for MacKinnon and he plays a more valuable position, but I'm just unsure why it's such a foregone conclusion that he's in a higher tier than Kucherov when Kucherov has the clear edge in production.

Anyways, I voted Hedman.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Frankly, this is probably blasphemy on these boards but I don't see why MacKinnon is considered to be in a different tier than Nikita Kucherov.

They both joined the NHL in 2013-2014, with Kucherov starting on the 4th line and MacKinnon already in a prominent role. The way I see it, MacKinnon took his step forward in the 2017-2018, when he broke out for 97 points, so that's where I'll draw the line for comparison. Kucherov also took a step up that season, and both turned into the players they are today.

Pre 2017-2018:
MacKinnon - 0.687 P/GP
Kucherov - 0.821 P/GP

2017-2018 to today:
MacKinnon - 1.295 P/GP
Kucherov - 1.361 P/GP

Since their rookie seasons (unfair comparison with Kucherov scratched/on the 4th line), MacKinnon has outpaced Kucherov a total of 2 of 6 seasons, one of which was by 0.06 PPG.

Even MacKinnon's (career high) pace this season is slightly lower than the average of Kucherov's post-2017 pace.

Sure, there are other arguments to make for MacKinnon and he plays a more valuable position, but I'm just unsure why it's such a foregone conclusion that he's in a higher tier than Kucherov when Kucherov has the clear edge in production.

Anyways, I voted Hedman.
because he's a center! and fast! and Canadian! obviously that makes him far superior

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
MacKinnon and then Hedman.

After that, any of Panarin, Draisaitl and Kucherov, though I lean on Kuch for the edge out of the three.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I almost feel like #2 is a three way tie between Hedman, MacKinnon and Matthews, but chose Matthews here because of the insane season he is having despite being far from 100% in a number of games. Draisaitl is understandable given his point totals are behind only McDavid this season and last but I would say Panarin and Kucherov are as good or arguably better.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
So how is Barkov not even an option if Matthews is? considering his defensive game. I wouldn't vote for Barkov but these lists are often popularity contests

This just goes to show, Matthews is clearly better than Barkov despite that ridiculous poll.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
This just goes to show, Matthews is clearly better than Barkov despite that ridiculous poll.
I'm more surprised Matthews getting voted after one very good season compared to guys like Mack and Drai who have been topping 95+ in the last two or three seasons. I get that Matthews is getting there but to me it's too soon to call him the 2nd best player in league. I remember Mack's first Hart worthy season people said he needed to that again which he did. After that the excuses kept piling up like Rantanen making him better since he was bad before him or Mack playing on a good team. Now the last bug they found on him is that he doesn't show up in game 7s despite having 54pts in 40 playoff games.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Drai
Mack
Matthews/Hedman
Kucherov

Kucherov missing the season makes it tougher to rank him in the top 3. They're all pretty interchangeable at any point IMO.

Happy to have Matthews in the top5 where I didn't have him last year.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Easy answer Draisaitl.

His body of work trumps everyone the last 3 years on that list.

He also swept the awards last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad