Status
Not open for further replies.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Handsome B. Wonderful said:
Pens fans = smart
B's fans = not quite as smart
Rangers fans = damp washclothes

Seems like Miller should be about 35 by now(I know he's still fairly young but he's supposed to be the next big thing for about 5 years now...)
At least the Rangers actually have fans... :sarcasm:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Despite Fleury's troubles, the only thing that keeps him in high regards (for me at least) is the fact that most of the great goalies of today hit lulls around the same age that Fleury has. I would say he's still #2 in my book, though it's not clear cut.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Until Lundqvist comes over and plays in the AHL, he isn't rated very highly in my books...Top 10 sure but...

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
DoobieDoobieDo said:
Until Lundqvist comes over and plays in the AHL, he isn't rated very highly in my books...Top 10 sure but...

That is a fairly weak arguement. That is like saying AO or Malkin shouldn't be highly regarded because while they are amazing in Europe (just like Lundqvist) they haven't played in the AHL, so they aren't highly rated in your books.

machine_head_2002

May 20, 2005

Patrick - Flames Fan said:
That is a fairly weak arguement. That is like saying AO or Malkin shouldn't be highly regarded because while they are amazing in Europe (just like Lundqvist) they haven't played in the AHL, so they aren't highly rated in your books.

I totally agree with this point. everyone is concerned about lundqvist after he had only an average world championship. brodeur had only an average world championship but people aren't concerned about him. furthermore, if brodeur had a weak world championship how do you feel that a guy like fleury would have faired in the canadian goal?

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
There should be no debate. Marc-Andre Fleury is the second best goalie PROSPECT in the world

Marc-Andre Fleury may not be a better goalie than Lundqvist now, but he is definately the number 2 goalie prospect in the world.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Patrick - Flames Fan said:

i don't think so - goalies have a much harder transition to north american play than skaters do...at least, that's what i've seen. lundqvist is a total crapshoot at this stage of the game. hey, tellqvist from toronto was supposedly god, and then he came over to N.A. and was awful. will lundqvist be a good NHL goalie eventually? perhaps, but it's too soon to say.

i'd rate toivonen first, but only b/c fleury hasn't really performed when the chips were down. has done nothing in the AHL playoffs, and hasn't been dominant in the regular season. cam ward is impressive, but i think he still needs another year of seasoning. ryan miller should've been in the NHL this past year, if they played.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Grave77digger said:
the Pens have lots of fans outside of Pittsburgh, just like the Steelers do... the Rangers on the other hand are universely hated... even in NY!

Of course they are. Any knowledge of NY sports? It's called a rivalry. NYR fans hate NYI, NYI hate NYR. Yank fans and Met fans do the same. Jet and Giant fans. Just the way of the beast man.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Hedberg16 said:
There should be no debate. Marc-Andre Fleury is the second best goalie PROSPECT in the world

Marc-Andre Fleury may not be a better goalie than Lundqvist now, but he is definately the number 2 goalie prospect in the world.

No debate? MAF is probably #2 but not clear cut by any means...

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
Barnaby said:
No debate? MAF is probably #2 but not clear cut by any means...

This guy used to be the most hypered and overrated goalie on this boards
One bad World Juniors and an average AHL season on an average team later...
and his is now the most underated goalie prospect on the boards. Fleury has the potential to be even better then Lehtonen. Sure Miller, Toivanen, and Lundqvist are have better numbers, but they are all atleast 2 years older

TRask

Dec 8, 2003
Halifax
Hedberg16 said:
This guy used to be the most hypered and overrated goalie on this boards
One bad World Juniors and an average AHL season on an average team later...
and his is now the most underated goalie prospect on the boards. Fleury has the potential to be even better then Lehtonen. Sure Miller, Toivanen, and Lundqvist are have better numbers, but they are all atleast 2 years older

Not to nitpick here , but Hannu is only 6 months older then Fluerry.
Hannu-May '84
Fluerrry-Nov '84

NYRGoalieGlut*

Le Golie said:
Actualy I don't rate him last, I rate him the fifth best in the world.

To be honest I haven't seen him a ton. As impressive as his numbers were in the SEL this year there are questions mark. It shouldn't be a knock against him, he certainly did all that was asked of him and more. Unfortunately it is.

From watching him in the World Championships, I have some concerns about his rebound control and focus. Neither are huge concerns and both can certainly be worked on, especially the rebounds. I also think that even though he was a late bloomer and he reached his potential really, really fast I don't see a ton of room for him to improve. Technical skills, positioning and rebound control are three of the major things goalies improve on as they mature. He is already very good at the skills/positioning so I don't see a much higher ceiling for him. He's also not a huge guy either but his pads have a ridiculous thigh rise, so if the NHL cuts down the goalies he might have 5-hole issues as well.

These aren't major knocks, that's just what I see in his game that led me to ranking him fifth.

What the hell is wrong with you? You're an Islanders fan and thus MUST act accordingly and say that Lundqvist sucks, just like Rangers fans trash/trashed Dipietro. :shakehead Anyway I think that Fleury is definately ahead of Lundqvist as he at least played in NA. For some reason I understood this thread to mean from Europe, I guess I was wrong.

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
I would say that no way is Fleury even in the top five right now. He basically lost his starter job to Andy Chiodo. No one would argue that Chiodo is anywhere near being a top prospect, and yet Chiodo was the starter in the playoffs. From what I've seen of Fleury, Chiodo deserved it too. Fleury may have top potential, but you cant say he has anywhere near the consistency to be considered a top prospect. IMO he is starting to get a reputation as a head case who melts down in big games.

A good argument can be made for Lundquist, since he has dominated the SEL, though I've never seen him play. After that Toivonen, Ward, Nittymaki.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
MojoJojo said:
I would say that no way is Fleury even in the top five right now. He basically lost his starter job to Andy Chiodo. No one would argue that Chiodo is anywhere near being a top prospect, and yet Chiodo was the starter in the playoffs. From what I've seen of Fleury, Chiodo deserved it too. Fleury may have top potential, but you cant say he has anywhere near the consistency to be considered a top prospect. IMO he is starting to get a reputation as a head case who melts down in big games.

I thought being a prospect was about potential, not current ability?
(This is not the who's the second best goalie not in the NHL thread)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->