Post-Game Talk: #29| New York Islanders @ Florida Panthers | December 12th | 7:00 PM | F/W 3-1

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
If you have some time -- go check out the FLA thread about the game. One guy there is absolutely convinced that the Isles are the most evil team on the planet. And then he starts making comments about NY.

Now - as we all know -- NY has several problems -- but not much can help Floridas main problem, red-neck stupid.

Good luck Panthers -- with your team and your life down there...
It’s the humidity that makes them stupid.

Reactions: Bones45

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
This first line will never see the day. Never Trotz will put on the same line two of the worst defensive players of the league (Hoffman and Eberle). What's more, why removed Beauvillier from the Nelson / Brassard line? Especially that Lee showed a lot of chemistry with Bailey.

Of course whatever sniper we get is joining the Barzal line and it is also highly probable that Jordan winds up back on the first line eventually as well. I have no problem keeping Beau on the second line, but having your captain on the third line after paying him all that dough isn't too ideal either. Still, you can mix up the top 9 however you like, but if I were a betting man I would almost guarantee that if we get a sniper he is on the first line with Matty regardless.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
The one thing that's funny is the boring hockey. It's not boring from my perspective as an Isles fan, we get high quality chances, physical hockey and aggressive forechecking. Other teams play around the perimeter and rarely see a odd man rush. It's boring for them, not us. Not my problem.
Never boring when you win.0

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I won't press this further because I don't want to make too big of a stink, but I don't agree with this.

It's pretty freaking easy to tell if someone is like brigading, we had a lot of it from Leafs fans when JT left.

If you guys have issues with it take it up with Frenchy or the other mods, this is a site wide policy.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I won't press this further because I don't want to make too big of a stink, but I don't agree with this.
Idiot Toronto fans come here and do it from time to time, so I understand why. Just don’t go to other teams boards and interact with them unless it’s a legit reason.

Reactions: crasherino

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Never boring when you win.0

Know what's boring, watching your team built predominantly built on offense only, get choked out by a smothering defense. Fanbases get angry because they know what's coming and they cant stand it. You could bet the mortgage money, if their team adopted the structure and it worked for them as it has for us they would sign up for it every day of the week.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Know what's boring, watching your team built predominantly built on offense only, get choked out by a smothering defense. Fanbases get angry because they know what's coming and they cant stand it. You could bet the mortgage money, if their team adopted the structure and it worked for them as it has for us they would sign up for it every day of the week.
And for those who think we’re a bunch of hacks on offense, remember that Anders Lee PPG against theLightning on Monday? Tic tac toe passing. Real pretty to watch.

Reactions: BTrotts19

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Of course whatever sniper we get is joining the Barzal line and it is also highly probable that Jordan winds up back on the first line eventually as well. I have no problem keeping Beau on the second line, but having your captain on the third line after paying him all that dough isn't too ideal either. Still, you can mix up the top 9 however you like, but if I were a betting man I would almost guarantee that if we get a sniper he is on the first line with Matty regardless.
Absolutely not! That's not how Trotz makes his lines. Either one with Barzal, but not both at the same time. On the PP, of course, but not at 5v5. Can you explain to me why it's Bailey who completes the Johnston-Barzal line for the moment and not Eberle? I'm sure it's a defensive precaution.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Absolutely not! That's not how Trotz makes his lines. Either one with Barzal, but not both at the same time. On the PP, of course, but not at 5v5. Can you explain to me why it's Bailey who completes the Johnston-Barzal line for the moment and not Eberle? I'm sure it's a defensive precaution.

Obviously he is trying to get more production from all three lines. He was getting absolutely nothing from the third. They like (so far) what Johnston is bringing to that first line (reportedly), but come on...RJ isn't a first liner by any means. I like the toughness he brings, but your first line has to be productive, especially come the playoffs.

I understand where you are coming from and how Trotz likes to operate, but I know he and Lou also realize they can't continue not having a shooter on one of the Matty's wings; and I also think they want eventually to match up with the elite teams out there when it comes to the first line. RJ-MB-Bailey is a far cry from that.....Hoffman-MB-Eberle would be pretty damn awesome and I dont think would hurt us defensively as much as you are letting on, and certainly not anymore than other first "scoring" lines are in the NHL..................

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Obviously he is trying to get more production from all three lines. He was getting absolutely nothing from the third. They like (so far) what Johnston is bringing to that first line (reportedly), but come on...RJ isn't a first liner by any means. I like the toughness he brings, but your first line has to be productive, especially come the playoffs.

I understand where you are coming from and how Trotz likes to operate, but I know he and Lou also realize they can't continue not having a shooter on one of the Matty's wings; and I also think they want eventually to match up with the elite teams out there when it comes to the first line. RJ-MB-Bailey is a far cry from that.....Hoffman-MB-Eberle would be pretty damn awesome and I dont think would hurt us defensively as much as you are letting on, and certainly not anymore than other first "scoring" lines are in the NHL..................
Well they haven't been unproductive as a unit. In 4 games together each of Barzal, Bailey, and Johnston have 1 even strength goal.

FWIW Johnston will shoot the puck if he gets the puck on the tape while in stride. He has a deceptively nice wrister. But his best offensive asset on that line is getting to the net, plugging up the area below the hash marks.

I'm not saying I want to see them stay together the rest of the way. In fact I thought the game against VGK should have been a 1 and done for that line. But there have been some results and when they're not scoring they certainly are getting some good O zone time. Can't complain about the line's results so far.

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
Well they haven't been unproductive as a unit. In 4 games together each of Barzal, Bailey, and Johnston have 1 even strength goal.

FWIW Johnston will shoot the puck if he gets the puck on the tape while in stride. He has a deceptively nice wrister. But his best offensive asset on that line is getting to the net, plugging up the area below the hash marks.

I'm not saying I want to see them stay together the rest of the way. In fact I thought the game against VGK should have been a 1 and done for that line. But there have been some results and when they're not scoring they certainly are getting some good O zone time. Can't complain about the line's results so far.

No argument here, it has been a nice surprise. I just dont see it lasting. I mean we are still talking about someone who is averaging 9-12 minutes of ice time.....and it isn't what you want to go into the playoffs with. Plus, personally I want Matty and Jordan's late season magic of last season to return as well instead of Josh on that line....

Obviously we will just have to wait and see what Barry eventually does- it is all moot if we dont get a substantial addition anyway and the priority may be a 3rd line center anyway........

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
No argument here, it has been a nice surprise. I just dont see it lasting. I mean we are still talking about someone who is averaging 9-12 minutes of ice time.....and it isn't what you want to go into the playoffs with. Plus, personally I want Matty and Jordan's late season magic of last season to return as well instead of Josh on that line....

Obviously we will just have to wait and see what Barry eventually does- it is all moot if we dont get a substantial addition anyway and the priority may be a 3rd line center anyway........
The 9-12 minutes of ice time is partially a result of RJ not being used on the power play or pk, but he’s still getting 3rd period shifts. Itis what it is. I’m half expecting to see Barzal and Bailey have an opening on their wing later in the season for a forward who needs to get his offense on track, like Ebs or Lee again if he goes cold. Either that or Lou finds the sniper that line really needs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->