Post-Game Talk: #29| New York Islanders @ Florida Panthers | December 12th | 7:00 PM | F/W 3-1

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
so 30 games in we 3rd in the league in points, 2 points behind Boston with 3 games in hand. Crazy. The only thing that sucks is that the Caps at #1 are in our division.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Played great for 45 minutes tonight. Florida pushed late but not many great chances aside from the Boychuk blunder. Someone else has Onto post the songs, I'm on mobile tonight. to the next one.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
well played by our boys. typical Trotz style win.

Greiss, Barzy, Beau, Eberle, Nelson, Lee, Pulock, Dobson, Pelech... everyone was on tonight. great effort, lots of extended sticks and interrupted passes, blocked shots. just played hard and smart.

we showed some really good heaviness tonight, good enough to have a solid playoff run, IMO. Martin and Ross looking not bad in their new roles. being tough when holding a lead, going to their paint with gusto. i think we got some solid gritz now.

nice.

Last edited:

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
hard to believe this team, this roster, is 3rd best in the league. it's kinda surreal. Barry is a god.

Reactions: periferal

SayItAintSoJohnny

Jun 30, 2018
So much for those who wanted Greiss to sit...dude came up big tonight.

Still wanting Florida to collapse and pull Hoffman off at the deadline....

Everyone has at least 30 games in the books and only one team in the NHL still doesn't have double digit losses....can you name them?

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I think we tried that 3 goalie thing once. It didnt work out well...

But I’m not suggesting a 3 goalie thing. I’m suggesting allowing teams to have more latitude in having a goalie in the AHL. A vet who can make a higher salary that isn’t counted against the cap and who doesn’t have to clear waivers.

The reasoning is that goalies can easily get injured and the goalie position is deeper than it has ever been. Instead of having a tweener (2b) goalie go to Europe you can sign him to be an AHL vet who can fill in on emergencies.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
But I’m not suggesting a 3 goalie thing. I’m suggesting allowing teams to have more latitude in having a goalie in the AHL. A vet who can make a higher salary that isn’t counted against the cap and who doesn’t have to clear waivers.

The reasoning is that goalies can easily get injured and the goalie position is deeper than it has ever been. Instead of having a tweener (2b) goalie go to Europe you can sign him to be an AHL vet who can fill in on emergencies.

I know...i just felt like making a JFBerube reference.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
A few years ago I’d have a stroke watching us in a 1 goal game trying not to blow it. Nowadays I’m much more at ease. Our defensive structure was really solid again tonight. We gave them a lot of zone time in the 3rd period but the way we covered them and had them turned towards the outside away from the crease was masterful. Truly is a pleasure to watch.

IslandersGER

Dec 29, 2015
Deutschland
Good to get out of Fla with 4 points.

That Panthers team is loaded with offensive talent
offense wins some games, but defense wins championchips ;-)
just finished watching the win and is was a joy to see the Isles playing at that level. 21st win in 30 games, that is a huge statement!

Reactions: dood

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Attended last night in Section 114, Row 25 (that's for my fellow attendees in case they were there too, LOTS of Isles fans all over the place).

Here's what I saw:

Our 4th line really played a great game against their 1st when they were paired. There was one shift in the 1st period where the entire shift was played in our offensive zone.

Power play was terrific. 2 goals and MANY other chances.

Dobson really starting to feel comfortable. There was one play on the power play that showed his skill and what we are in for down the line. Instead of skating up and setting up the drop pass for the entry, he took off, beat his defender in the neutral zone, gathered the blue line and made an excellent feed to what I think was Eberle for the full zone entry. It was a small item but he exhibited speed, puck handling and vision all together. He would not have attempted that play in previous games. And his power play point time is starting to come along. The shots will now start to come too.

That last minute of the game was a masterpiece of tying up an excellent offense and keeping them outside any danger areas.

Greiss bounced back big. Barring injury or illness I doubt they are going to change the rotation significantly.

Our forecheck is amazing when it's on. You had guys like Beau, Brassard, Eberle, who we sometimes put down for physical play but they really battled it and came away with the puck in 2 on 1 situations against them. I was in a corner and had a good look at how geometric the forecheck is. They do not rely on chasing and winning one on one battles. They play angles by laying off the puck carrier if they are not close to them and look to cover passing lanes, while slowly cutting down space, which eventually cuts down time. Plenty of times they surprised the Panthers with where the high man positioned themselves and BOTH of the PP goals came off that high man intercepting the breakout/clearing pass. It's a lot easier to see in person than on TV how they play it.

The 2 on 1 the Panthers scored was I think the FIRST odd man rush we gave up the entire game to that point. And very few after that. The team did not let up at all but if last night is an indication, we tend to ease back off the forecheck with a third period lead. Whether that is a tactical decision or the other team finally gets used to how to breakout against the forecheck I don't know.

Lee and Boyle's fight - each knew what had to happen and the fight itself reflected it. Anders stood up, Boyle knew it and you could see at the end Boyle and Lee knowing it was like playing a role than a real fight from anger. I don;t remember, did they do charity work together when Boyle was in our area?

Panther fans - I was sitting next to one who was pretty knowledgeable and we talked about their organization. You can still see they are getting used to Quenneville's system. Thinking at times instead of just playing. Bottom 6 scoring for them is a problem still, even with the Connolly signing (he's shooting 25%!). I asked him about Trocheck and he agreed that Trocheck has lost some of his quickness with the injuries. The Panthers have a bit of the reverse of the drafting issue we had with GMG. Their high picks are all turning out well but their drafting beyond Round 1 has been pretty barren of players.

But how does this team not draw better? There are winning and have a LOT of talent to watch. Most of the upper deck was empty and there were more Isles fans in the lower bowl than Panther fans. This is a marvelous arena, in one of the easiest places to get to in the area, and the traffic flow in and out of the parking lots is pretty good. Ten minutes after getting back into the car and we are on the Sawgrass streaming north.

Only bad thing? Right after the game, leaving the arena through a side exit, the skies OPENED UP and we didn't have an umbrella. Holy wet shirts Batman! For the first time since my Jones Beach days in the 70's I had to drive topless!

Great night for the Isles, we are built for the long run here. This system is built for the later season dog days and I see us hosting a first round and possibly a 2nd round too at a minimum. Even without a trade for a sniper. Hoffman had the goal but was pretty invisible most of the rest of the time to me. One-trick pony.

Last edited:

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Attended last night in Section 114, Row 25 (that's for my fellow attendees in case they were there too, LOTS of Isles fans all over the place).

Here's what I saw:

Our 4th line really played a great game against their 1st when they were paired. There was one shift in the 1st period where the entire shift was played in our offensive zone.

Power play was terrific. 2 goals and MANY other chances.

Dobson really starting to feel comfortable. There was one play on the power play that showed his skill and what we are in for down the line. Instead of skating up and setting up the drop pass for the entry, he took off, beat his defender in the neutral zone, gathered the blue line and made an excellent feed to what I think was Eberle for the full zone entry. It was a small item but he exhibited speed, puck handling and vision all together. He would not have attempted that play in previous games. And his power play point time is starting to come along. The shots will now start to come too.

That last minute of the game was a masterpiece of tying up an excellent offense and keeping them outside any danger areas.

Greiss bounced back big. Barring injury or illness I doubt they are going to change the rotation significantly.

Our forecheck is amazing when it's on. You had guys like Beau, Brassard, Eberle, who we sometimes put down for physical play but they really battled it and came away with the puck in 2 on 1 situations against them. I was in a corner and had a good look at how geometric the forecheck is. They do not rely on chasing and winning one on one battles. They play angles by laying off the puck carrier if they are not close to them and look to cover passing lanes, while slowly cutting down space, which eventually cuts down time. Plenty of times they surprised the Panthers with where the high man positioned themselves and BOTH of the PP goals came off that high man intercepting the breakout/clearing pass. It's a easier to see in person than on TV how they play it.

The 2 on 1 the Panthers scored was I think the FIRST odd man rush we gave up the entire game to that point. And very few after that. The team did not let up at all but if last night is an indication, we tend to ease back off the forecheck with a third period lead. Whether that is a tactical decision or the other team finally gets used to how to breakout against the forecheck I don't know.

Lee and Boyle's fight - each knew what had to happen and the fight itself reflected it. Anders stood up, Boyle knew it and you could see at the end Boyle and Lee knowing it was like playing a role than a real fight from anger. I don;t remember, did they do charity work together when Boyle was in our area?

Panther fans - I was sitting next to one who was pretty knowledgeable and we talked about their organization. You can still see they are getting used to Quenneville's system. Thinking at times instead of just playing. Bottom 6 scoring for them is a problem still, even with the Connolly signing (he's shooting 25%!). I asked him about Trocheck and he agreed that Trocheck has lost some of his quickness with the injuries. The Panthers have a bit of the reverse of the drafting issue we had with GMG. Their high picks are all turning out well but their drafting beyond Round 1 has been pretty barren of players.

But how does this team not draw better? There are winning and have a LOT of talent to watch. Most of the upper deck was empty and there were more Isles fans in the lower bowl than Panther fans. This is a marvelous arena, in one of the easiest places to get to in the area, and the traffic flow in and out of the parking lots is pretty good. Ten minutes after getting back into the car and we are on the Sawgrass streaming north.

Only bad thing? Right after the game, leaving the arena through a side exit, the skies OPENED UP and we didn't have an umbrella. Holy wet shirts Batman! For the first time since my Jones Beach days in the 70's I had to drive topless!

Great night for the Isles, we are built for the long run here. This system is built for the later season dog days and I see us hosting a first round and possibly a 2nd round too at a minimum. Even without a trade for a sniper. Hoffman had the goal but was pretty invisible most of the rest of the time to me. One-trick pony.
I was sitting in 118 last night. In total agreement with your points, particularly the 4th line. Matt Martin had his most solid game in weeks. Good to see him play so well. Props to Matty Marts.

I’m getting ready to leave for PBI Airport now watching the news and the weatherman said yesterday was record rainfall for this date in Coral Springs-the town north of Sunrise. When that downpour started absolutely nobody would leave the building and kudos to the BB&T Center staff for not forcing people out into that mess.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
A few years ago I’d have a stroke watching us in a 1 goal game trying not to blow it. Nowadays I’m much more at ease. Our defensive structure was really solid again tonight. We gave them a lot of zone time in the 3rd period but the way we covered them and had them turned towards the outside away from the crease was masterful. Truly is a pleasure to watch.

But its both boring and annoying! Ruining hockey!

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad