Post-Game Talk: #28| New York Islanders @ Dallas Stars | December 7th | 9:00 PM | F/L 3-1

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
The first goal happened because Martin got walked at the blue line by a defenseman and allowed him to gain all of the space to the left of him (the high slot area), which allowed the other defenseman to rotate down because Clutterbuck was the only person left to defend that side so he had to hold the slot. That play is 100% on Martin getting burned up at the blue line. If he doesn't get beat the defenseman stays closer to the wall and has to dump it back down into congestion. Unfortunate it went in off a skate, but the play developed because of Martin being bad.

leKKvKA.png

xUlICrI.png

The third goal was on the PK, but can you tell me who lost their man in the defensive end that ended up scoring? You guessed it, Martin.

gNDXXHv.jpg

Aimg3xr.jpg

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
I don't agree on the first goal. Martin took the correct guy. Everyone else in the slot was covered and Clutter failed to pressure his guy early enough and gave him too much time.I agree in the third goal. MM looked lost.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Excellent job PK. I doubt Martin has two years left in the league, which is sad. People say he'll make an excellent coach, but I could see the NHL network trying to sign him for commentary.
I'm not convinced that Martin is fully healed from his injury. I'm also not convinced that Martin has what it takes - even when fully healthy - to be as productive as he's been in the past. He's got the heart, we know that. But he's given his body a real beating over the last 10 years. We know that he's going to be limited in the offensive skills area but he can't be a liability in his own zone. We just can't afford that.

He was a healthy scratch prior to his injury on 2-3 occasions. Unfortunately, we may be headed in that direction again relatively soon, as much as everyone loves the guy.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I don't agree on the first goal. Martin took the correct guy. Everyone else in the slot was covered and Clutter failed to pressure his guy early enough and gave him too much time.I agree in the third goal. MM looked lost.

It's not about "taking a guy" it's about his positioning while doing it. He pressures the defenseman, who is Heiskanen (an offensive guy), but goes too far to the wall giving him all that space to the middle which is never a good play. Clutterbuck cannot move from the slot to pressure the rotating defenseman because if he does Heiskanen is going to walk right into the slot and rip a shot because Martin is already beat. Plays to the outside are safer than allowing guys to skate unimpeded into the slot area, so Clutterbuck made the safe play.

If Martin takes the path I suggest he's dictating and controlling where Heiskanen can go and neutralizing a lot of his options, making it the safe play. He fails to do this which opens up more options for Heiskanen which ultimately burns the team.

Reactions: Poster Unknown

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
He was a healthy scratch prior to his injury on 2-3 occasions. Unfortunately, we may be headed in that direction again relatively soon, as much as everyone loves the guy.

I actually thought Dal Colle / Cizikas / Clutterbuck was more effective in a handful of games than Martin / Cizikas / Clutterbuck has been for most of the season.

Reactions: dood

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->