Post-Game Talk: #28| New York Islanders @ Dallas Stars | December 7th | 9:00 PM | F/L 3-1

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
At least they lifted after being down 3-0. They could have folded but were good after that.

scottywiper

Dec 2, 2018
Komarov, Martin and Ross offer no offensive threat at all. Ross probably the most threatening of the 3.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Martin getting walked multiple times cost us on two of the three goals.

Rough one for the first 25 minutes and then we were much better. I'd love someone like Benn who has that reach and can be creative with the puck.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Komarov, Martin and Ross offer no offensive threat at all. Ross probably the most threatening of the 3.

I’m ok with Ross (not that high in the lineup) because he brings something to the table, Leo and Martin may be great for the room but bring nothing to the ice.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think these kinds of losses aren't the worst, road game... and we prevent the Doug Weight style blow out loss.... we learn some things.

Mayfield was out best player on the ice, and has become special this season, I never thought he would amount to anything but he proved me wrong

Ross the Boss - like him on the first line and eventually to replace Martin on the 4th line when we acquire a power forward for the first line

Uncle Leo - is a redundancy of Clutter and continues to not be worth of a top 9 roster spot

Barzal - those 2 penalties were killers

Anders Lee - seems like he has taken Brock's bong ... .a lot of times just lost out there.

Dallas - weird assortments of washed up players and castoffs yet they are effective, it has a lot to do with Mr Bishop I think, who in his own right is a castoff

Going to Tampa - not going to be easy Tampa is starting to look better

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Two bouces going their way and 2 dumb penalties likely the difference in the game.

Although PP did not matter much in this game, it is quite critical that the PP 1st unit work more efficiently (both on entry and getting shot off more quickly). There are too much hesitation on firing the shots and too many aimed high & wide with little chance for rebounds and deflections. Practice quick passes and shots that does not waste valuable time. Try to at least get one shot on net for every 3 to 4 passes. Avoid the board & corners on PP where you can easily lose the puck. Pull away from tight checking by skating to find more open space to dish out or receive passes. Use the points well. Wear the goalie down on PP without interference so he will eventually lose focus & give up rebounds. He can't stop every shot right, right? Mixed up the shot too, not always thru 5 hole nor high. Don't let the goalie guess what is coming his way. Fake shots and passes will help too. Practice set plays so it is easier to execute.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillD

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I know we have games in hand but that metro playoff cut line is way too close for my liking.

Tampa and Toronto are eventually going to take out Florida and Buffalo. They are just better than them. Montreal will also get beat up in that division. I don’t feel anything changes in the Metro. Everyone in the top 8 now makes the playoffs. The only way anyone gets in trouble is if somehow Florida Buffalo Montreal and Toronto all play out of their minds the rest of the way but given how often they play each other that’s not really possible

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
Tampa and Toronto are eventually going to take out Florida and Buffalo. They are just better than them. Montreal will also get beat up in that division. I don’t feel anything changes in the Metro. Everyone in the top 8 now makes the playoffs. The only way anyone gets in trouble is if somehow Florida Buffalo Montreal and Toronto all play out of their minds the rest of the way but given how often they play each other that’s not really possible
I’ve been 1 of the few who have had concerns about making the playoffs but that long run of pts makes it tougher . This team has a few issues and any lapse of intensity could result in long streaks of minimal pts. 7 million for Lee who is at best a 3rd liner is a problem and what we need is not easy to get in a trade without moving whatever good prospects you have and we are not stacked there so making a deal using these assets should not be done. Only
Hope is to move one of our grittier players to a team lacking grit for a player who has offensive upside but hasn’t found it yet

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016

He is. Komorav is redundant. This team has the same issue as last season. We’ll make the playoffs but if we’re not 100% on top of our game defensively we won’t win. If we were to potentially trade for pageau I think we should get someone like ennis as part of the package to remove a komorav/Johnston/Martin/dal colle (probably not Martin) from the lineup for a faster skater.

Seems like we will not he acquiring a high end forward which sucks for Barzal. He’s clearly frustrated out there and rightfully so.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Martin getting walked multiple times cost us on two of the three goals.

Rough one for the first 25 minutes and then we were much better. I'd love someone like Benn who has that reach and can be creative with the puck.

First goal was off a Dallas skate at the top of the crease...after 2 Dallas players handled the puck..Marts was up at the blue line... Second and third Goals were P.P. Goals on Barzal penalties.

On the 1st Goal Martin forced the Dallas d-man to dump off a pass to the outside Dallas player Clutter was covering...his pass then went off the skate in the net while being covered by Isles D.

The other 2 Goals were P.P. goals on 2 Barzal pims.

Last edited:

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
I don't know what was wrong with Dallas in their early season home games but they are an elite team. You play at Dallas and you're likely to lose - just like teams will likely lose at Islanders. If we can somehow split upcoming road games we'll be in great shape.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
First goal was off a Dallas skate at the top of the crease...after 2 Dallas players handled the puck..Marts was up at the blue line... Second and third Goals were P.P. Goals on Barzal penalties.

On the 1st Goal Martin forced the Dallas d-man to dump off a pass to the outside Dallas player Clutter was covering...his pass then went off the skate in the net while being covered by Isles D.

The other 2 Goals were P.P. goals on 2 Barzal pims.

The first goal happened because Martin got walked at the blue line by a defenseman and allowed him to gain all of the space to the left of him (the high slot area), which allowed the other defenseman to rotate down because Clutterbuck was the only person left to defend that side so he had to hold the slot. That play is 100% on Martin getting burned up at the blue line. If he doesn't get beat the defenseman stays closer to the wall and has to dump it back down into congestion. Unfortunate it went in off a skate, but the play developed because of Martin being bad.

leKKvKA.png

xUlICrI.png

The third goal was on the PK, but can you tell me who lost their man in the defensive end that ended up scoring? You guessed it, Martin.

gNDXXHv.jpg

Aimg3xr.jpg

Last edited:

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Excellent job PK. I doubt Martin has two years left in the league, which is sad. People say he'll make an excellent coach, but I could see the NHL network trying to sign him for commentary.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
This third goal is also a bit of Trotz's fault. What an idea to use Martin on the PK! Usually it's Komarov who is paired with Beauvillier, but here, surprisingly, Trotz opted for Martin and it cost a goal.

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
Read an article on the Athletic about last nights game, written from Dallas. They said that was Dallas’ most compete game of the season by far.

So we’ve got that going for us.

which is nice.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Isles don’t stabilize their play, the inconsistency is going to drop them down the standings.

A scorer would be helpful during these dry spells.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->