Post-Game Talk: #28 - 12/6/19 | canadiens @ RANGERS

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
We are all talking about the pp being stagnant and it's all because we took Trouba off the pp, we need the shot threat from the point to spread out the box. Teams are smartly collapsing in the middle taking away the seam pass because we dont use the point shot much. As much as I question Trouba's timing of shots sometimes I still believe he needs to be on the top unit to break the box up a bit. Teams will have to respect the shot and move out towards him if we are using the point shot from time to time. I'm sitting here watching our pp and saying "why would you bother covering our pp up top? We never shoot from there" and other teams have predictably tightened up the box and are forcing us to pass around it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Man that one really, really stings.

You just can’t turn the puck over on a control breakout with a minute to go in a tied game. That’s Puck (mis)Management 101. Looked like Lemmy tried to make a touch pass to Chytil to skate into, he needed to tip that deep.

And despite the turnover they were actually in pretty good defensive position and still gave up that dagger goal.

Lindgren’s reaction after the goal says it all.

That’s one you look back at if you miss the playoffs by a point or 2

Reactions: will1066

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That may be true, but I recall way too much passing around the perimeter waiting for JJ to get open. And I suspect a great many of those shots were from the perimeter.

But the one constant of all the teams since the lockout is that they think pass first and second (maybe even third)...in situations where they should have taken the shot....How many times over the years have we heard the announcers and media say they need to be more selfish in that regard?
So do you want them to shoot or not?

When teams shoot from the perimeter they're decidedly not waiting for better opportunities.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
There were no shooting lanes but still. Gotta take the shot. The fancy schmancy passes usually get broken up in those situations.

They need to get Micheletti out of the booth. When he played nobody blocked shots. You can’t take a shot if you don’t have a lane.

Reactions: Buchnevich89

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
We are all talking about the pp being stagnant and it's all because we took Trouba off the pp, we need the shot threat from the point to spread out the box. Teams are smartly collapsing in the middle taking away the seam pass because we dont use the point shot much. As much as I question Trouba's timing of shots sometimes I still believe he needs to be on the top unit to break the box up a bit. Teams will have to respect the shot and move out towards him if we are using the point shot from time to time. I'm sitting here watching our pp and saying "why would you bother covering our pp up top? We never shoot from there" and other teams have predictably tightened up the box and are forcing us to pass around it.
100%. When you look at the top PPs even if they have a D up top who doesn't shoot much, they are still usually a threat when they do take a shot. Unfortunately with ADA and Fox there's really no threat of them beating a goalie off a one-timer so teams like you said can collapse and take away the seam pass.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

You just can’t turn the puck over on a control breakout with a minute to go in a tied game. That’s Puck (mis)Management 101. Looked like Lemmy tried to make a touch pass to Chytil to skate into, he needed to tip that deep.

And despite the turnover they were actually in pretty good defensive position and still gave up that dagger goal.

I am sure Lindgren never will do it again. But that is what experience is about.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Celebration intensity of the decade from Rangers games

1. Derek Stepan G7 OT goal vs Washington
2. Nate Thompson 2-1 goal game 36 regular season
3. Ryan Callahan playoff clinching goal in Carolina

All goals scored when Prospal was on the ice should also be up there.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Not get the puck deep!

But I am not putting it all on him, it’s the entire unit. Making it easy for themselves.

I assume you meant to write Lemieux and not Lindgren? He was the one responsible for the turnover

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Kakko needs to shoot the puck. Ridiculous how unselfish some of these guys are. Grow a ****ing pair and rip it. You keep letting the goalie and the d get set on cross ice passes, you won't have a look.

Simple ****. Yet these guys can't get it through their ****ing heads.

yes, yes, and yes.

btw, did it ever occur to anyone to try a formula, like while every single play is open to that exact situation, overall, the objective is to have a play driver, a facilitator, and a (scoring) finisher?

While the facilitator can take a shot and the finisher should pass if there is no shot, such defined roles would help these guys realize what the blueprint is and hopefully they implement, without too much wasted time looking for alternate plays, accordingly.

Deleted member 23124

To me, it looked like he was trying to tip it and just missed the correct angle.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC

I’ve felt this way since day one. I don’t know why you wouldn’t want that threat at the top to keep everyone honest and open the walls. Ovechkin gets open for his shot because Carlson is a threat. I liked Trouba there I would have kept him there the whole time. I like having a shooter there and he had no problem moving the puck to Panarin in good spots

Reactions: egelband

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Sure, but the Rangers don't forecheck hard or play a cycle-driven offense.

Quinn is exactly the same as late-AV in the sense that he wants hustle and grit and won't commit to a finesse game, but he also hasn't established a system that lends itself to playing hard.

And we're left with passive do-nothing hockey on both sides of the puck.

In a game like that you need guys that don't and won't accept losing laying down . Guys that have some pride in the jersey on their back and come out in a third period and throw everything but the kitchen sink at the Habs ....initiate....muck...battle for every inch . Prust was great as was Dorsett for that . Back to back no excuse or else they are not in shape or else we need to make changes on the 2nd half of back to backs . We need guys that are eager for ice time and will accomplish something when out there . It does not have to be a fight...but a slight bump to Price at every chance after a whistle would be a start or antagonize the bench ...get them PO as well . This is our barn....OWN IT !!!

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
Painful loss but I didn't think they played poorly and lost on a fluke. Hey, we shouldn't have won yesterday.
Right that was stated after the CBJ game. We stole that game. We lost a tough one, Lindgren should learn a lesson. Helps with development, the key is to see their response. Hockey is a game of mistakes.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Pidto Files

Nov 8, 2019
When we miss the playoffs by 3-6 points we can point to poorly coached games like tonight that cost us.
To be fair we can also point at the games our goalies steal which get us to that range as well.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He has not been good , and has a lot of Rick Nash second assists.

I don’t agree, I think he looks great.

Michelletti needs to be stomped on him by representatives of the team. He made Kakko look extremely bad there. You are up by a goal with 30 seconds to go. The first guy you take the lane away from is Kakko. He had no shots there.

It’s beyond idiotic to make those comments. WTF.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
yes, yes, and yes.

btw, did it ever occur to anyone to try a formula, like while every single play is open to that exact situation, overall, the objective is to have a play driver, a facilitator, and a (scoring) finisher?

While the facilitator can take a shot and the finisher should pass if there is no shot, such defined roles would help these guys realize what the blueprint is and hopefully they implement, without too much wasted time looking for alternate plays, accordingly.

Listen, that is a nice, tidy "formula" on paper but the sport of hockey is not a two-dimensional thing. All coaches try to strike a balance and find the right combinations of players for different situations. It's part of the job. But I think you're looking at things from too much of an outsider's perspective.

I just want to remind you of a time when Erik Christensen was our first line center. He seems like a perfect candidate for one of your "experiments". He was a "facilitator". He sucked.

I think you play a lot of video games and not hockey ones.

Last edited:

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I don’t agree, I think he looks great.

Michelletti needs to be stomped on him by representatives of the team. He made Kakko look extremely bad there. You are up by a goal with 30 seconds to go. The first guy you take the lane away from is Kakko. He had no shots there.

It’s beyond idiotic to make those comments. WTF.

I was at the game. I wasn't listening to Joe.

Kakko has been smelly. Perhaps no smellier than other 18 year olds, but he smells none the less.

This doesn't mean he will be smelly in the future, but right now he's a smelly smell that smells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad