Confirmed with Link: Jeff Skinner re-signs. 8 years, $9M AAV.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
0.75 mil too much. But I like the player, lets all hope this contract turns gross only after year 6 and not after year 4.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Ask yourself, if Skinner had just scored 40 for Carolina and was hitting UFA what would the deal look like to bring him into Buffalo to play with Eichel?

Would I love to have seen 8x8, sure, but it is the price of business these days. The biggest issue with these signings for guys in their mid to late 20s and beyond is that they are average skaters who lose a step or two and just fall apart. Skinner's skating should keep him productive for years to come.

As others have pointed out, the lack of depth due to mismanagement under Murray and Botts left the Sabres in a spot where they had to sign him. I like Skinner and think he will have another big season. Now Botts has to get his head out of his ass and build around these guys and Krueger and his staff will have to properly utilize them. The pieces are her to be successful if the front office allows it.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
From the dollars behind the Leino, Moulson, and Okposo deals, comes the Skinner UFA contract!

Leino, Moulson and Okposo made it to July 1 and were UFA. Leino, Moulson and Okposo were below-average skaters when the deals were signed.

This is much more like the ROR deal. Extend an already-owned property. That ROR deal looks pretty darned nice right now, even more so if we actually still had the player.

DatGuy

Sep 25, 2015
For people who think this is to much money, how are you going to replace "a 30 goal guy" in free agency? Believe it or not, players don't like the idea of coming to Buffalo, its not a major city, there is a weak night life, less to do, poor weather etc. The truth is we had to sign Skinner. if we didn't its another bad off season, where we miss out or over pay someone else. When was the last time we heard a player take a discount to come here. What we do hear is players turn down more money from buffalo and go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Reactions: SabresEichel

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
From the dollars behind the Leino, Moulson, and Okposo deals, comes the Skinner UFA contract!

It's bigger!

It's badder!

And boooooooy are we gonna hate it in 3 years!

Come one, come all, see the spectacle of the Pegula's literally lighting money on fire!
I cant deny, I feel similar, and I know the strong majority disagree. I hope I'm wrong. I like Skinner's attitude, but he disappears for long stretches. Hopefully a better team will bring out the best in him.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

It's bigger!

It's badder!

And boooooooy are we gonna hate it in 3 years!

Come one, come all, see the spectacle of the Pegula's literally lighting money on fire!

Not really worried about the performance of 29 year old Skinner tbh

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Having it in the $8 million range would've made for a better feel good story... but whatever. Glad he's back. And glad we don't have to listen to what everyone would be saying if they didn't get him signed. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->