Player Discussion Brandon Montour

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres acquire Montour from Ducks
The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has acquired defenseman Brandon Montour from the Anaheim Ducks in exchange for defenseman Brendan Guhle and a first-round pick in the 2019 NHL Draft.
"Brandon is a young, offensive-minded defenseman who can play the up-tempo style we are looking to play," said General Manager Jason Botterill. "He's a right-shot defenseman that brings additional playoff experience to our club."
Montour (6'0", 193 lbs., 4/11/1994) joins the Sabres in the midst of his third NHL campaign and led Anaheim defensemen with 25 points (5+20) through 62 games this season. In 169 career NHL games, Montour has recorded 63 points (16+47) and a plus-11 rating, adding eight assists in 21 career playoff games.
The Brantford, Ontario native was named USHL Defenseman of the Year in 2014 before being selected by Anaheim in the second round (55th overall) of the 2014 NHL Draft. Montour was named to the 2014-15 Hockey East All-Rookie Team during his only season at the University of Massachusetts before turning pro. He earned consecutive AHL All-Star Game appearances in 2016 and 2017 and was named to the AHL First All-Star Team in 2016.

Video Highlights

Reactions: Franson and Dingo44

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I live in SoCal and catch almost all Ducks' games. Like the trade. Montour's got great wheels, shot, vision, entering his prime, under team control, RH, proven over two+ NHL seasons as a legit top 4 D. His D-zone play has looked solid to me over his time with the Ducks, but definitely not his strongest area, and other than maybe Manson, this season has been rough for all their D. Montour has an edge to his game and doesn't shy away from the rough stuff in front of his own net. I like Guhle, hope he grows into a capable D for them. Hate to give up any 1st rounder, but I think this time it's worth the shot.
Thanks for the update.

I've always enjoyed watching him play. On its own, like the deal -- fits the age, mobility, and years of control publically sought by the GM.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Didn’t montour have a pretty good offensive game agains buffalon the last time they met? I remember him really standing out.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
So kind of funny. I've wanted Montour for a while. Watched a fair amount of him while living in Chicago (get a lot of Western Conference games/talk here) and I'm actually dating a Ducks fan. Her assessment of the trade was "meh." She's not happy. I'll give her a foot rub later tonight when she gets off work.

My assessment of Montour's game:
Smart player. Quality skater. Decent speed and change of direction. Good puck skills. Probably his best skillset is his ability to handle the puck and advance it into the attacking zone.
Good/really good shot. His wrister might actually be better than his clapper. I'm excited to see him get some shots through with Reino & Co. on the doorstep.
Got some scrappiness to his game. Not a big body, but he doesn't shy away from physicality.
I think his overall defense is good. That Ducks team really is terrible. He'll be a solid upgrade for us in the top 4.

I'm excited. :)

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Not trying to suggest what he should do, but...I concur with anyone who thinks 62 would be awesome. Can anyone think of any other NHL player who has worn 62? Or, any player in any sport, for that matter?

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
Not trying to suggest what he should do, but...I concur with anyone who thinks 62 would be awesome. Can anyone think of any other NHL player who has worn 62? Or, any player in any sport, for that matter?

Watch that skinner injury gif again :D

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
RHD are at a high premium. The fact we have legit top 4 RHD 25 and under is incredible.

Really excited to see Montour in action. He will also help the PP2 unit big time.

Reactions: Rasmi

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
He had a great season last year. The sort of campaign that if he played for Toronto you'd never hear the end of. This was a trade for a player who shouldn't have been available (imo).

Reactions: sabremike

Member 308457

Question and answer from Anaheim board:

Q: Hi guys. Sabres fan here.

I don't get to watch much west coast hockey, so I don't know much about Montour. Would anyone be so kind as to provide a brief report on his play?
A: He’s fast, aggressive offensively and has a bit of a mean streak for someone his size. Defensively he has a good stick but is only ok positionally. Has a hard but inaccurate shot and is a good passer. Questionable hockey IQ, he’s shown he has a great toolset but may lack a good enough toolbox to hit his potential.

My take: If true, sounds like we just got ourselves another Zhitnik.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Question and answer from Anaheim board:

Q: Hi guys. Sabres fan here.

I don't get to watch much west coast hockey, so I don't know much about Montour. Would anyone be so kind as to provide a brief report on his play?
A: He’s fast, aggressive offensively and has a bit of a mean streak for someone his size. Defensively he has a good stick but is only ok positionally. Has a hard but inaccurate shot and is a good passer. Questionable hockey IQ, he’s shown he has a great toolset but may lack a good enough toolbox to hit his potential.

My take: If true, sounds like we just got ourselves another Zhitnik.

And if he's another Zhitnik, I take that all day long.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I apologize to both Carl Hagelin (for forgetting his NHL number) and Brandon Montour (for hijacking his new Sabres thread). I will do my penance while on a stationary bike hopefully tuned to a UMass-Michigan Frozen Four game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad