Confirmed Signing with Link: 26 players have filed for Salary Arbitration *Updated with Arbitration schedule *

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
dont only look at capspace, look at players AAV as well (due to Bonuses)... nut after a year with 10M of deadcap, I guess the NYR can afford a hit for cap penalty for 1yr

Yeah, I know. I've been the one saying that since the day after we won the lottery.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
The most troubling part for teams must be the fact that you can't walk away from anything lower than 4.5mil.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Toews will probably get signed before arbitration. I doubt Sakic wants to pick Toews apart face-to-face before he's even played a single game for the team.

Reactions: uncleben

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Are there any good comps for DeAngelo?
Well, Graves signed just a few days ago for over 3mil. It's all up to the arbitrator. DeAngelo has far superior production, Norris votes and a longer track record, while Graves had analytics and +/- which for some reason still means quite a bit. Personally, I think DeAngelo should get plenty more than Graves given his numbers and I can't really remember the last time when a 50 point D (if you go by ppg he's over 63 points in a full season) reached arbitration. I wouldn't be surprised if he got more than the walkway limit.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I predict Josh Ho-Sang will be put on Irrevocable Waivers by the Arbitration Panel . . .

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Mikheyev has a charmin soft case in arbitration

23pts last year. arbitration doesnt usually consider pts/gm its more of a "what have you done?" kinda thing

Aston-Reece: 8g,17pts in 43 games (Settled for 1mil x 2 years)
Mikheyev: 7g/23pts in 39 games

I'm guessing 1.25x2

Or just sign a year, $1m contract & try again next year after a healthy year.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Are there any good comps for DeAngelo?

Shayne Gostisbehere, Damon Severson & John Klingberg. He would compare their second contracts & first 3 years in the league to his own.

Second contracts:

Gostisbehere: $4.5m
Klingberg: $4.25m
Severson: $4.166m

According to Capfriendly, he'd have to be awarded a contract greater than $4,538,958 for Rangers to walk away. I expect he gets a minimum of $4m.

Last edited:

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I don't think it will be much different than normal for actual waiting for the decision. Most will be signed before then, Covid or not. UFA's are already taking less, and RFA's will get less as well. No different than everyone was predicting Covid offersheets and we have seen none and won't see any.

We've just seen a crazy number of decent players not qualified and we saw unprecedented weird cap dump trades and 1 year deals. I think arbitration is probably the best Avenue for players to get paid this off season.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Yes. See Cody Ceci last season. He was a qualified RFA when he was traded to the Leafs from Sens. Leafs then had to accept the arbitration result and sign him to that deal.
It was a little more complicated than that. There were scenarios that they could have gotten rid of him but cecibheld the cards. It depended in the arbitration amount, it may or may not have been binding depending on tgat.

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
How many of these players will come to a new agreement before their schedule arbitration case is heard?
Remember last year some players agreed to a new contract the day before the hearing. And weren't some just hours before as well?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Ho-Sang is going to show up in person walking in like this for his $740k 1yr deal

giphy.gif

Machinae

Jul 6, 2007
Mississauga, ON
It was a little more complicated than that. There were scenarios that they could have gotten rid of him but cecibheld the cards. It depended in the arbitration amount, it may or may not have been binding depending on tgat.
Ceci just accepted his qualifying offer, didn't he? If he went to arbitration the Leafs would have walked away from his contract.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Ceci just accepted his qualifying offer, didn't he? If he went to arbitration the Leafs would have walked away from his contract.
No he didnt. The leafs signed him before arbitration above his QO. If they went to arbitration wherher or not they could walk woukd depend on the arbitration award. Had the leafs refused to offer above his QO he couod just sign it and the leafs would be stuck with him. There were many ways that scenario could have played out.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
How many of these players will come to a new agreement before their schedule arbitration case is heard?
Remember last year some players agreed to a new contract the day before the hearing. And weren't some just hours before as well?

In a normal year 24 to 26 would come to an agreement. Leaving zero to 2 with arbitration awards.

The big question is whether the unique situation the league and players are in will incentivize more players to take the chance on an arbitration award this year.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->