Confirmed Signing with Link: 26 players have filed for Salary Arbitration *Updated with Arbitration schedule *

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I'm curious about what arbitrators will do. Aren't they not allowed to make decisions based on the cap?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
I don't think so. Teams with players who filed for arbitration rights get a second buyout window though .

Ok, thanks. The Rangers and Buffalo might have trouble. Ho Sang should be done in this league.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Ok, thanks. The Rangers and Buffalo might have trouble. Ho Sang should be done in this league.

Arbitration awards can only be 1 or 2 years in length
Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA
Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 2 years and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the second (2nd) year of the awarded salary, making the player a UFA at the end of year 1

Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Ho Song because he was qualified for some reason will get another deal for next year. Not sure why the Isles qualified him but they did.

Reactions: Pukboy5kroner

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Arbitration awards can only be 1 or 2 years in length
Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA
Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 2 years and greater than $4,538,958, Club can walk away from the second (2nd) year of the awarded salary, making the player a UFA at the end of year 1

Arbitration Filings - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Ho Song because he was qualified for some reason will get another deal for next year. Not sure why the Isles qualified him but they did.

Thanks for the information.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Can the players be traded?

Yes. See Cody Ceci last season. He was a qualified RFA when he was traded to the Leafs from Sens. Leafs then had to accept the arbitration result and sign him to that deal.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Until you learn how the CBA actually works, you might want to sit this one out.
They could sit back and let arbitration do its thing. Guess it’s something you don’t grasp or understand. They don’t need to engage the NYR again. Just let arbitration pick their 2020-21 salary. Will be very generous for DeAnglo.
And if the rangers want to let them become UFAs. More power to these four.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Yes. See Cody Ceci last season. He was a qualified RFA when he was traded to the Leafs from Sens. Leafs then had to accept the arbitration result and sign him to that deal.

I forgot about that one, thanks.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They could sit back and let arbitration do its thing. Guess it’s something you don’t grasp or understand. They don’t need to engage the NYR again. Just let arbitration pick their 2020-21 salary. Will be very generous for DeAnglo.

They could, but they won't. His agent isn't going to recommend that, because it's not in DeAngelo's best interest.

How many arbitration cases actually make it to a hearing? Very few.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
My guess on Ho-Sang: Isles gave him a QO to retain his rights (sure?), Ho-Sang files in the hopes that the Isles walk away from whatever the arbitrator decides so he can be a UFA.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I don't think so. Teams with players who filed for arbitration rights get a second buyout window though .
If Oilers and his agent ( or whoever represents him ) don't agree on a different kind of contract extension , yes.
He can sit out the season or until Oilers trade him though (if neither him or Oilers agree on a contract), right?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
My guess on Ho-Sang: Isles gave him a QO to retain his rights (sure?), Ho-Sang files in the hopes that the Isles walk away from whatever the arbitrator decides so he can be a UFA.

Well no arbitrator is awarding him enough for that. Isles can't walk away from anything below $4,538,958

serp

Jan 17, 2016
He can sit out the season or until Oilers trade him though (if neither him or Oilers agree on a contract), right?

Yes he can leave to play in Europe or something. Oilers will retain his NHL rights until he's 27 if he walks away. So not much gained there imho.

Reactions: ItWasJustified

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Yes he can leave to play in Europe or something. Oilers will retain his NHL rights until he's 27 if he walks away. So not much gained there imho.
Yes, it would be extremely stupid to throw away an NHL career that way.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
I'm curious about what arbitrators will do. Aren't they not allowed to make decisions based on the cap?

I believe it can reflect the cap, so comparables would be based on % and reflect the fact that there wasn’t any growth. What the team isn’t allowed to do is use their specific cap or financial situation as an argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad