Post-Game Talk: #26| New York Islanders @ Montreal Canadiens | December 3rd | 7:00 PM | F/L 4-2

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Martin has a role and he wasn't the only one playing poorly. MDC has NO role and I think that is what makes him so unimpressive. He has no identity on the team. If he doesn't find his identity soon, he is not going to last. When Bardreau came up..he immediately had an identity and that's what made him effective.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
His miraculous turnaround after being traded to Boston is evidence of that.
I'm younger so a guy like Kirk Muller means nothing to me but I've always had Brian Rolston in my targets as most hated Islander ever. I just couldn't believe the level or laziness and unprofessionalism. Also had high hopes that year unfortunately.

The Real JT

In Lou We Trust: Just kidding
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
I'm younger so a guy like Kirk Muller means nothing to me but I've always had Brian Rolston in my targets as most hated Islander ever. I just couldn't believe the level or laziness and unprofessionalism. Also had high hopes that year unfortunately.

Maybe this post should go as a rebuttal in the Garth Snow appreciation thread.

In 2007 Garth traded 2 former first round picks, Robert Nilsson and Ryan O'Marra with an additional future first round pick to the Oilers for Ryan Smyth who was on an expiring contract. Smyth promptly left the Isles after a first round playoff exit and signed with Colorado in the offseason.

Surprisingly, Smyth did not attend the University of Maine.

Thanks Garth.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee

In 2007 Garth traded 2 former first round picks, Robert Nilsson and Ryan O'Marra with an additional future first round pick to the Oilers for Ryan Smyth who was on an expiring contract. Smyth promptly left the Isles after a first round playoff exit and signed with Colorado in the offseason.

Thanks Garth.
All 3 of those first rounders amounted to absolutely nothing. No harm in what Snow tried with that move

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
All 3 of those first rounders amounted to absolutely nothing. No harm in what Snow tried with that move
Ah, the end justifies the means argument.

Let’s take that to the next level.

Griffin Reinhardt was a great pick since he resulted in Barzal and part of Beau.

Got it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Ah, the end justifies the means argument.

Let’s take that to the next level.

Griffin Reinhardt was a great pick since he resulted in Barzal and part of Beau.

Got it.

If by 'taking it to the next level' you mean making it absolutely illogical, irrational and comical....no, let's not do that.

Fact: O'Marra and Nilsson were busts
Fact: we made the playoffs after the Ryan Smyth trade

Conclusion: If you poop on a stick and call it ice cream, it's still poop. All those players made a nominal difference on their team and the trade had zero impact on the NYI and the Oilers.

I too commend Snow for giving it a shot and that trade shocked the hockey world so that was worth it alone.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
In my opinion this game was the first stinker I've watched this season. Absolutely poor effort with only a bit of desperation in the third. I still think the game winning goal by Petry was interference. Yes, it was borderline and I'm not going to make too much of a stink about it, but I think a call should have been made there.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
If by 'taking it to the next level' you mean making it absolutely illogical, irrational and comical....no, let's not do that.

Fact: O'Marra and Nilsson were busts
Fact: we made the playoffs after the Ryan Smyth trade

Conclusion: If you poop on a stick and call it ice cream, it's still poop. All those players made a nominal difference on their team and the trade had zero impact on the NYI and the Oilers.

I too commend Snow for giving it a shot and that trade shocked the hockey world so that was worth it alone.

I'll give you credit for calling BS on Nilsson and O'Marra though Nilsson had some residual value as did the first round pick.

My recollection is that Smyth was widely known to be a west coast guy who most thought would never sign with the Isles.

For the record, the Isles snuck in the playoffs on the last day of the season and then lost 4 games to 1 in the first round of the playoffs.

Milbury did far worse than that trade but just because it was bold didn't make it a savvy move in my book.

Reactions: dood

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'll give you credit for calling BS on Nilsson and O'Marra though Nilsson had some residual value as did the first round pick.

My recollection is that Smyth was widely known to be a west coast guy who most thought would never sign with the Isles.

For the record, the Isles snuck in the playoffs on the last day of the season and then lost 4 games to 1 in the first round of the playoffs.

Milbury did far worse than that trade but just because it was bold didn't make it a savvy move in my book.

Sure, I'm not by any means calling it savvy. Ballsy, yes. Just like CBJ did. Point is it was exciting to say the least, and sneaking in was awesome (Dubie, Dubie, Dubie!). The trade was a win to me for entertainment value, but as far as franchise building it was moot....didn't hurt or help. Smyth only played two years for Colorado and was traded, so they didn't even have him that long.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
It wasn't a great move, but it wasn't terrible either. It was a play to turn two rapidly declining assets into a playoff push. It didn't work out, but the idea wasn't awful. Now, that Vanek deal was similar in intent, and way more putrid.

Reactions: The Real JT

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Thanks Garth.

And I can't believe I'm saying this, but both Nilsson and O'Marra were busts, so who cares? In the very least, attempting to sign Smyth meant that Yashin had to go. Addition by subtraction.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
And I can't believe I'm saying this, but both Nilsson and O'Marra were busts, so who cares? In the very least, attempting to sign Smyth meant that Yashin had to go. Addition by subtraction.

I will admit that Snow gets credit for trying to do something.

His lack of insight into Smyth's mindset regarding staying with the Isles is what I take issue with the most.

From what I recall, Smyth cried when he was traded to the Isles.

Garth had no insight into his personal situation and sized him up wrong. Similarly, Garth should take some of the blame for Pajama Boy leaving without recouping assets at the TDL.

(I swear I didn't create the meme below)

Smyth.jpg

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I will admit that Snow gets credit for trying to do something.

His lack of insight into Smyth's mindset regarding staying with the Isles is what I take issue with the most.

From what I recall, Smyth cried when he was traded to the Isles.

Garth had no insight into his personal situation and sized him up wrong. Similarly, Garth should take some of the blame for Pajama Boy leaving without recouping assets at the TDL.

(I swear I didn't create the meme below)

View attachment 286701

He cried because he had been the captain of the Oilers for years and was going to wind up leaving Edmonton one way or another. I don't think it had anything to do with coming to the Isles.

And Snowang certainly rolled out the red carpet for Smyth and his family when they got here, so combined with the Yashin buy-out, they clearly wanted to sign him. But I still can't kill the trade even though he turned out to be a rental.

Reactions: ettlinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->