Prospect Info: 25th Ryan Poehling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
We need talent. We passed on Tolvanen. We'll know in 4-5 years if we made the right choice or not. Of course, the people in here who are just satisfied with Timmins picking up NHL'ers won't mind....yet the others who actually want this team to someday become better and have more talent that we have now will. Poehling is our 2017 version of Chipchura. Somebody you pencil as a NHL 3rd line C. Chipchura was a point per game player in his draft year and almost the year after. It STILL was written that he'd be nothing else but a 3rd line C. We will see how Poehling develops. I know one thing....people are happy with Poehling stats sheet so far....I can't imagine how we would drool over Tolvanen's....based on numbers and based on where he is racking them.....

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Jesus, people need to take themselves so seriously and acting like they are NHL scouts. You can sit back and relax, no GM will read hfboards and recruit you.

Didn't like the pick at first but the more I've seen him play the more excited i got, he really seemed to have late boom his offensive skills and already have good D positioning! Looks promising, anyway at the point will take any center depth

There is nothing late bloom if he's having such success at 18 years old.

On HF Boards, a late bloomer is anyone who performs better than a poster had predicted earlier. The poster can never be wrong or have wrongly assessed the potential. It has to be because of the exceptional "late bloomer" occurrence. Of course it looks like a mis-label when the so-called late bloomer is in full bloom while being 2-4 years YOUNGER than the guys he is playing against.

But perhaps Hope had it right after all, Ryan is a late BOOMer, meaning he is booming even after coming late to a team meeting.

Reactions: cphabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think he may be worth more than Pleky because he has that size/skill/skating package. He's not going to get pushed around like Pleky.

As far as points, it's hard to say what Poehling ceiling is but he's got more offensive than most are giving him credit for IMO. I think he has a personal goal to prove people wrong about this too.

For me, I'll make my judgement when he plays for the US in the world juniors. If he can stand out against the best 18 and 19 year olds in the world, we know we got something

fair enough, it's hard to project production from 18 year olds. The only thing I can say is that in watching each game I get more and more impressed, although I wouldn't expect him to be a 70 pt player in the NHL he does at lot of little things you have to like and it going to help him as he physically matures in time.

Is it realistic to say he can be a first line C?

I don't think so but it's very early and BC was the first top program he's faced.

I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal signs him to an ELC as soon as possible after this season. And if they do, it's either Montreal or Laval for him. He won't be eligible to return to the NCAA with a pro contract. Unless they let him go play in Europe for a year to get some pro experience. But I doubt they'd let him go that route.

But I still think it's being more optimistic than realistic to look at him as a 1C for Montreal.

I would be very against another 19 year old in the AHL, not a fan of going that route, so hopefully he stays in the NCAA another year unless he's just outstanding.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I agree, I don' t follow the draft as much as you do, but what I had heard on Tolvanen was very enticing.. A ppg player in the KHL at 18 is pretty rare. That being said, let's see what Poehling does, he's been pretty impressive too, although not against the same competition I will concede that to you.

I think Poehling has all the makings of being a NHL'er. But that's not where I'm looking. Quality over quantity. Let's hope Poehling finds a way to be a top 6 player.

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
We need this guy to bloom for the sake of this team. We need him to be better than Beaulieu/McCaron/Scherbak/Tinordi/Leblanc and all the other 1st rounder that can't play a big role with Montreal.

Anyone has been watching him play? Any report ? 8pts in 5games, right, but how is he playing?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
We need this guy to bloom for the sake of this team. We need him to be better than Beaulieu/McCaron/Scherbak/Tinordi/Leblanc and all the other 1st rounder that can't play a big role with Montreal.

Anyone has been watching him play? Any report ? 8pts in 5games, right, but how is he playing?

montreal is our NCAA guy (at least one of them) and he's posted some (quite positive) reports in the NCAA/EURO/CHL prospects sticky thread.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal

He's playing really well, PP, PK 5on5. 55.8% in the dot.

Creating stuff on the ice, should have more points as he's been setting up his teammates but they failed to convert and had a disallowed goal that was debatable...

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
On HF Boards, a late bloomer is anyone who performs better than a poster had predicted earlier. The poster can never be wrong or have wrongly assessed the potential. It has to be because of the exceptional "late bloomer" occurrence. Of course it looks like a mis-label when the so-called late bloomer is in full bloom while being 2-4 years YOUNGER than the guys he is playing against.

But perhaps Hope had it right after all, Ryan is a late BOOMer, meaning he is booming even after coming late to a team meeting.

I salute you!

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Just a few games played in the year after the draft and we see the same pattern again. Somebody cherry pick the player taken after our pick with the best start and the blaming game is on.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Yeah that late blooming comment was out of left field. Kid couldn't rack the stats as a 17 year old and as of now, what he's doing at a 18-year old is pretty good. He'sn ot late blooming. He's just...."regularly blooming"....;-)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
damn this kids a hustler! if he gets even stronger and fast its very very promising!
That's exactly what I said to myself watching that video, he's freaking relentless!

If only Chucky could hustle like that lol...

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I get it. It's fun to go out on a limb and say we should have drafted this guy or that guy instead, but the fact is Poehling is the pick, and the guys drafting have more information than us.

I for one loved the Poehling pick. In fact, I joined this very board because of how excited I was that he fell into our laps- yet the majority of posters on this board were having full blown meltdowns about it.

I probably would be complaining about missing out on Poehling if we had drafted someone else. But I think what needs to be called is this tone that some posters here have that they know more than the guys in charge.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Teams are swooning over signing College FAs that are 22 and at a PPG. We have ourselves an 18 year old at over a PPG and he’s a 6’2 C. Everyone should be happy.
For sure. He could end up being our Getzlaf/Kesler/O'Reilly. He is named Ryan after all lol

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Teams are swooning over signing College FAs that are 22 and at a PPG. We have ourselves an 18 year old at over a PPG and he’s a 6’2 C. Everyone should be happy.

Still early to say. Leblanc had a great D+1 season at Harvard, too.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Still early to say. Leblanc had a great D+1 season at Harvard, too.
Wasn't Leblanc playing in a not very competitive conference?

I don't know much about strength of conferences in NCAA hockey...I'm assuming the Ivy League Circuit isn't very competitive.

Could be wrong though.

DesmondDekker

Let's diddly go !
Sep 11, 2006
Canada
His development curve looks kind of impressive at the moment. It’s still way too early in the season to call him a steal, but I’m very happy with the pick so far. I would be thrilled if he can become a solid 2C.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Wasn't Leblanc playing in a not very competitive conference?

I don't know much about strength of conferences in NCAA hockey...I'm assuming the Ivy League Circuit isn't very competitive.

Could be wrong though.

He wasn't no. But he also wasn't playing on a strong team either.

Poehling has good production so far this year and that's promising. We will need to see more. I'm looking forward to assessing him at the WJC against his peers.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He wasn't no. But he also wasn't playing on a strong team either.

Poehling has good production so far this year and that's promising. We will need to see more. I'm looking forward to assessing him at the WJC against his peers.
I watched him very closely at the Junior Showcase Series, and IMHO he was further along than guys like Logan Brown, Dubois, Robert Thomas...

He was the best center prospect in that tournament I thought, though admittedly Jost wasn't playing.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
You do know that all the guys I mentioned aside from Tolvanen were picked before right? By the way, what was your pick? 'Cause in the game of hindsight, what's even easier is to criticize people with opinions and never give one. That's the easiest hindsight game.
When we hit 20, I was praying for Vesalainen. I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Poehling, but I'm liking what I'm seeing, especially the fact that he's a centre. Again, good call on Tolvonen, I imagine he'll be at the WJC, it'll be nice to see the Poelhing vs Tolvonen comparisons during that tournament.

I'm just so stoked that he's a big centre that can skate, score and play all situations, and at 18 to boot.....maybe it's our turn to get a late round steal.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
When we hit 20, I was praying for Vesalainen. I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Poehling, but I'm liking what I'm seeing, especially the fact that he's a centre. Again, good call on Tolvonen, I imagine he'll be at the WJC, it'll be nice to see the Poelhing vs Tolvonen comparisons during that tournament.

I'm just so stoked that he's a big centre that can skate, score and play all situations, and at 18 to boot.....maybe it's our turn to get a late round steal.

Let's hope he will. We need C depth. But top 6. I will be watching Poehling all year long. We will see how he develops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad