Prospect Info: 25th Ryan Poehling

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
It's early but I see Poehling worth more to us than Pleky was. Poehling has game. Let's see how he does at the world juniors.

I felt that prime Pleks was underrated around here and it's hard to compare production from several years back as the league seems to have changed very quickly. For instance, the year Pleks put up 70 pts in '09-'10, he was tied for 26th in the league in points. 17 players that year had over 80 pts. Last season had 7 get over 80 pts.

That said 70 pts is still a lot, for Poehling to reach that in his prime he would need to have everything go right. Not saying it can't happen, I just don't know enough about him yet having only seen him a few times at the showcase and NCAA this year. The good news is that to me he's looked very good so far but we'll see how it goes the rest of the way. If he can put up 30+ points and do well for Team USA then that's certainly a big step in the right direction.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think folks are confusing prime Pleks with current mid-30s Pleks. Prime Pleks was a legitimate top 6 Centerman.

I'm hopeful that Poehling can be that caliber of player. He certainly has the "upside" to be more, there's always upside lol, but I think anyone would be thrilled if Poehling becomes a 6'2" Plekanec.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Another 2 points last night in another win. It brings his total to 6 points in 4 games.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Another 2 points last night in another win. It brings his total to 6 points in 4 games.
He is playing well from all accounts. Please stay in college Ryan. Hopefully he signs with the Habs down the road. With more and more college kids opting for free agency, why are teams still drafting college kids? He could opt out and sign with any team after 4 years....

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
He had a good game for sure last night. Really liked his play on the PK as he created a few scoring chances. They also had him on the point on the 2nd PP unit. His 1st assist was impressive, as he worked hard to fight for the puck near the corner and got it back to the point. The puck was just sitting there as the goalie made the save but didn't know where it was.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
He is playing well from all accounts. Please stay in college Ryan. Hopefully he signs with the Habs down the road. With more and more college kids opting for free agency, why are teams still drafting college kids? He could opt out and sign with any team after 4 years....
Most make the jump after a couple of seasons. Would you choose to sacrifice a few million dollars to spend the entire 4 years earning a mostly paper education while being used as a virtual slave just to get to pick your future team?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Most make the jump after a couple of seasons. Would you choose to sacrifice a few million dollars to spend the entire 4 years earning a mostly paper education while being used as a virtual slave just to get to pick your future team?
Several have. Butcher and Vesey seem to have hit payload

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Nothing wrong with staying in school. I believe he’s in a good development program, so he certainly won’t get hurt staying. While I hope he develops into a #2C, he isn’t elite or franchise level (my opinion), so there is no need to sign an ELC and jump right in anytime soon.

Yeah, the high draft pick college bound kids may make that jump, but I don’t think it’s a bad idea for Poehling to stay where he is.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He had a good game for sure last night. Really liked his play on the PK as he created a few scoring chances. They also had him on the point on the 2nd PP unit. His 1st assist was impressive, as he worked hard to fight for the puck near the corner and got it back to the point. The puck was just sitting there as the goalie made the save but didn't know where it was.

Yo do a good play by play my friend . ;)

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Still too early to know how good he could end up, but one thing is sure, he has a great start this season and he looks very promising.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
He had 6 assists in 35 games last season. With two more last night he has 5 assists in his first 4 games this year!

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Several have. Butcher and Vesey seem to have hit payload
Several? You named the only two notable ones...payload? lol the f***ing ignorance on these forums is unbearable...it won't kill you to google something for an ounce of knowledge. They have to sign an entry level contract, only difference is they delay it because they can only do it 4 years into their pro career (college players tend to make the NHL sooner than that)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I felt that prime Pleks was underrated around here and it's hard to compare production from several years back as the league seems to have changed very quickly. For instance, the year Pleks put up 70 pts in '09-'10, he was tied for 26th in the league in points. 17 players that year had over 80 pts. Last season had 7 get over 80 pts.

That said 70 pts is still a lot, for Poehling to reach that in his prime he would need to have everything go right. Not saying it can't happen, I just don't know enough about him yet having only seen him a few times at the showcase and NCAA this year. The good news is that to me he's looked very good so far but we'll see how it goes the rest of the way. If he can put up 30+ points and do well for Team USA then that's certainly a big step in the right direction.

I think he may be worth more than Pleky because he has that size/skill/skating package. He's not going to get pushed around like Pleky.

As far as points, it's hard to say what Poehling ceiling is but he's got more offensive than most are giving him credit for IMO. I think he has a personal goal to prove people wrong about this too.

For me, I'll make my judgement when he plays for the US in the world juniors. If he can stand out against the best 18 and 19 year olds in the world, we know we got something

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Still very early, but is it possible that we finally have this late first round home run.

Reactions: Belial

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Jesus, people need to tale themself so seriously and acting like they are NHL scouts. You can sit back and relax, no GM will read hfboards and recruit you.

Didnt like the picknat first but the more i've seen him play the more excited i got, he realy seemed to have late boom his offensive skills and already have good D positioning! Looks promising, anyway at the point will take any center depth

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's more optimistic than realistic to say he'd be a 1C at this point. But he is a player that gives Habs' future some hope at this moment.

After 5 games, he has 8 points and a +5. At age 18, he is second on the team in scoring, behind a 22 year old. In fact, there is no other skater on the team who is less than two years older than Ryan. His leadership and skill are very impressive.

I doubt he will play more than this year and next in the NCAA.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
After 5 games, he has 8 points and a +5. At age 18, he is second on the team in scoring, behind a 22 year old. In fact, there is no other skater on the team who is less than two years older than Ryan. His leadership and skill are very impressive.

I doubt he will play more than this year and next in the NCAA.

I wouldn't be surprised if Montreal signs him to an ELC as soon as possible after this season. And if they do, it's either Montreal or Laval for him. He won't be eligible to return to the NCAA with a pro contract. Unless they let him go play in Europe for a year to get some pro experience. But I doubt they'd let him go that route.

But I still think it's being more optimistic than realistic to look at him as a 1C for Montreal.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Jesus, people need to tale themself so seriously and acting like they are NHL scouts. You can sit back and relax, no GM will read hfboards and recruit you.

Didnt like the picknat first but the more i've seen him play the more excited i got, he realy seemed to have late boom his offensive skills and already have good D positioning! Looks promising, anyway at the point will take any center depth

There is nothing late bloom if he's having such success at 18 years old.

Reactions: DAChampion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad