Recalled/Assigned: CJ Smith Recalled 12/31 (Assigned to Amerks 1/11)

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I predict people will be disappointed that one or two Amerk callups don't necessarily move the needle much short term here, and cue the "we suck and have nothing in the pipeline" hot takes.

But Smith earned his chance here. Would be awesome if he could make his presence felt tonight.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
79d2c4c04099d9df664683ffc08b7221695634aec7ce80310b0e07b4c55fe4ee

Reactions: JackTheRipper

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I predict people will be disappointed that one or two Amerk callups don't necessarily move the needle much short term here, and cue the "we suck and have nothing in the pipeline" hot takes.

But Smith earned his chance here. Would be awesome if he could make his presence felt tonight.

Even if they dont move the needle at least you know now and can make moves accordingly

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Even if they dont move the needle at least you know now and can make moves accordingly
I'm all about trying stuff, for sure. Especially as bad as the middle 6 has been here.

I just think some folks believe these callups are the difference between bottoming out and making the playoffs, which are huge expectations for a couple of guys who have yet to really touch the NHL. Not looking forward to the hot takes if they disappoint.

EDIT: And that's not to say that if Smith/Olofsson/Nylander aren't the season saviors people want them to be, that they can't be solid contributors long term. It's just tough for some to think that far out.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm all about trying stuff, for sure. Especially as bad as the middle 6 has been here.

I just think some folks believe these callups are the difference between bottoming out and making the playoffs, which are huge expectations for a couple of guys who have yet to really touch the NHL. Not looking forward to the hot takes if they disappoint.

EDIT: And that's not to say that if Smith/Olofsson/Nylander aren't the season saviors people want them to be, that they can't be solid contributors long term. It's just tough for some to think that far out.

No doubt there will be hot takes regardless of how this turns out

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

I'll take a guy who doesn't move the needle over the ones who are actively moving the needle against us (e.g., Sobotka, Tage, Poms, et al.). I'm guessing he comes in for Elie, though.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I'll take a guy who doesn't move the needle over the ones who are actively moving the needle against us (e.g., Sobotka, Tage, Poms, et al.). I'm guessing he comes in for Elie, though.
So... that's moving the needle.

I agree he will move the needle. But that's because the needle is already maxing out in the negative for our middle 6.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

I don't think anyone expects them to come up and wreck the league. And everyone knows if we make the playoffs it's because Jack carried us there. If guys come up and make even a modest contribution it could be enough to get us over the hump, and that would make it a huge success that made a difference.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
So... that's moving the needle.

I agree he will move the needle. But that's because the needle is already maxing out in the negative for our middle 6.

I think most are of the mind that a middle-6 forward "moving the needle" means providing a bit of offense. I don't think that's necessarily a fair expectation for Smith, at least until he gains more experience. I just want to see him not get destroyed when he's on the ice. Sure, that represents an upgrade, but I was referring to "moving the needle" in the way that I think a lot of posters would intrepret it - and the way I think the phrase was being used in posts prior to mine - as creating offense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I don't think anyone expects them to come up and wreck the league. And everyone knows if we make the playoffs it's because Jack carried us there. If guys come up and make even a modest contribution it could be enough to get us over the hump, and that would make it a huge success that made a difference.

Yep, all about potential incremental improvements and discovering what they have at this level from players currently on the farm.

Reactions: joshjull

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
For those who have seen CJ Smith play in Rochester, how is his skating / speed?
The main comments I have heard have been around compete and his hockey IQ.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
At least he will be playing tonight. I thought he had more experience in the NHL but it was only two games late in the 16/17 season. He may play hard and do the right things however who he plays with will have a big say in if he can help the team offensively.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
At least he will be playing tonight. I suppose since he has previous NHL experience one could argue it's different than when Pilut was called up. He may play hard and do the right things however who he plays with will have a big say in if he can help the team offensively.

I haven't seen any word on tonight's lines. With a limited skate this morning, not sure we'll know for a bit.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I thought CJ Smith has to clear waivers to go back to Rochester but he in fact has one year left before he’s waiver eligible.

My expectation is that he should get a fairly significant look in Buffalo. At this point he’s played 90 AHL games and 120 NCAA games, plus he’s 24. Smith seems to fit the “mold” Botterill wants. He played 3 years in college and about a season and a half in Rochester. Since Smith does not need to clear waivers, Botterill is not forced to keep him in Buffalo the rest of the year. This is probably his best shot to stick in the league. Expectations are not ezteremely high for a 24y/o putting up just shy of a PPG in the AHL but if he can come in and be a middle six (really a third line) stop gap that provides SOMETHING offensively without getting caved in defensively, congrats CJ you just earned yourself a full time spot on the roster for the rest of the year.

All he needs to do tonight is be better than Remi f***ing Elie. Don’t mess it up, man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad