The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Ok, closing this thread was clearly a mistake on my part, because all that did was spread the same bad posting to other threads. Mea culpa.

Moving forward, though, this thread is going to have a heightened standard for discussion. Don't expect to come in here after every ROR multipoint game or STL loss to reignite the same argument that goes nowhere. Make posts worth reading, and behave civilly with each other. Expect repercussions if you do not. If you think someone else is not living up to this standard, report them instead of engaging.

From now on, this will be the place to discuss ROR. The team is good enough right now that there's plenty to discuss in the other threads without taking this show on the road. That's not to say there's an absolute ban, but if you want to make an ROR post, it will usually belong in here.

Let me explicate further: from this point
forward, low-effort one-liners will get you warnings (read:infractions).

-Rasmus Ascendant

***MOD EDIT (JOSHJULL): I started this thread to keep the Around the NHL thread from getting derailed into a ROR trade battle. ***

John Vogl had another Q&A and mentioned the ROR trade -

Live Q&A: John Vogl answers your Sabres questions on...
(subscription required)
Maia G.
Oct 3, 6:52pm
With Jack recently being named captain and Thompson, Berglund, and Sobotka all making the roster, do you think that the ROR trade was the most game changing move of the offseason (minus drafting Dahlin)?
like-icon@2x.png

John Vogl
Oct 3, 7:01pm
@Maia G. Hi, Maia. Without a doubt. It was a move that had to be made. Too many people got sucked into ROR's "woe is me" vortex. Hockey is supposed to be fun. The new guys seem to realize that.

This is not the first time we’ve seen reliable media members say stuff like this.

I was mad when ROR was traded. I hated to see him go. But as much as we may not like it, sometimes it’s best for everyone if a guy moves on and unfortunately I think this was one of those times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Techno Allah

Feb 20, 2008
Amherst NY
I am not blowing anything out of proportion, it was your statement and I was asking you to defend it and you used this statement to defend your statement? Because you failed to answer the question and decided to deflect with an observation of my post.

Wow, you are certainly dramatic. Taking one quote from a person and repeating it over and over like he says it every day. If you're on a last place team for a few years and reporters are there asking you questions after every loss, i'm sure anyone could say something similar.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
If he cared about the sabres then why did he give up? I didn't say he didn't try. I said didn't care.
So he lost his love for the game but still cared? I am confused. Can you please explain how you lose your love for the game but still care? Also How long before he loses his love out in St. Louis?

Rating the ROR trade plays no role in this thread. If you don't want to rate it then that could mean ROR had such little value because of him being a cancer.

So does St. Louis now worry about ROR losing his love for the game? They are losing.

What makes you say he gave up while on the Sabres? There's the quote that he lost his love for the game, but I don't think that ever translated to his on ice play.

Narrowing the Blues failures and Sabres successes this year down to the Ryan O'Reilly trade is disingenuous at best.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Actually, O'Reilly did stop doing some of his usual after practice routines, and he did start to show mental lapses during games last season. I don't single out O'Reilly for that though, as I get how another terrible season can wear down players. Losing affected all the guys who had been around for a few seasons.

It's nothing anyone should be surprised about. We've seen the extra energy this season both mentally and physically, as both morale and wins have increased. I don't see how O'Reilly wouldn't be a part of that if he were still here, but I also don't know the extent of his feelings/opinions in April, or how they may have affected the team. He may very well have asked to be traded behind closed doors, or at least said he didn't care if Botterill asked him about it. Who knows? I do think that as a highly regarded vet, he should have known his comments wouldn't fly very well. That's the kind of stuff you say behind closed doors to coaches and management when you're prepared to inquire about roster improvements.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Actually, O'Reilly did stop doing some of his usual after practice routines, and he did start to show mental lapses during games last season. I don't single out O'Reilly for that though, as I get how another terrible season can wear down players. Losing affected all the guys who had been around for a few seasons.

It's nothing anyone should be surprised about. We've seen the extra energy this season both mentally and physically, as both morale and wins have increased. I don't see how O'Reilly wouldn't be a part of that if he were still here, but I also don't know the extent of his feelings/opinions in April, or how they may have affected the team. He may very well have asked to be traded behind closed doors, or at least said he didn't care if Botterill asked him about it. Who knows? I do think that as a highly regarded vet, he should have known his comments wouldn't fly very well. That's the kind of stuff you say behind closed doors to coaches and management when you're prepared to inquire about roster improvements.
That goes to my point and if you understand these comments and there meaning and you have been part of a team, even in a workplace. When you say what ROR said he is saying I GIVE UP. I WANT OUT.

That is the way it is on top of that no one is questioning his on ice skill. It would be nice to put that part to rest so we can stop debating if he tries on the ice. Most people critical of ROR are talking about the mental side of the game.

I also think by Gionta calling Ryan O'Reilly the next captain in a TV interview the sabres believed they were getting something they did not.

You can go out and give 100% and not be a part of the team and give up on being a sabre. In my opinion that is what players are saying at the beginning of the year even when they were losing. They said its a different atmosphere, people want to be here, people come to the rink happy.
ROR didn't want to be here, he is no leader. Adios we are better without you

Giving up - Not wanting to be here, not caring about your teammates, not having fun with your teammates, no team camaraderie, keeping to yourself, No interested in long term goals and so on. That is what I mean by giving up here.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That goes to my point and if you understand these comments and there meaning and you have been part of a team, even in a workplace. When you say what ROR said he is saying I GIVE UP. I WANT OUT.

That is the way it is on top of that no one is questioning his on ice skill. It would be nice to put that part to rest so we can stop debating if he tries on the ice. Most people critical of ROR are talking about the mental side of the game.

I also think by Gionta calling Ryan O'Reilly the next captain in a TV interview the sabres believed they were getting something they did not.

You can go out and give 100% and not be a part of the team and give up on being a sabre. In my opinion that is what players are saying at the beginning of the year even when they were losing. They said its a different atmosphere, people want to be here, people come to the rink happy.
ROR didn't want to be here, he is no leader. Adios we are better without you

Giving up - Not wanting to be here, not caring about your teammates, not having fun with your teammates, no team camaraderie, keeping to yourself, No interested in long term goals and so on. That is what I mean by giving up here.
In no way shape or form are we better off without ROR and with Sobotka, Berglund and Tage. They were arguably the 3 worst players on the entire Blues roster last season and all 3 have been every bit as awful as anyone who paid any attention to that team knew they would be. And the cherry on top is that the one decent asset we got back (the 19 #1) is getting turned into worthless trash by getting pushed back into what is projected to be one of the worst drafts in living memory because we were dumb enough to hand them super lottery protection. Trading ROR isn't the biggest problem, not being patient and rushing to take a pitiful and embarrassing offer is. And dealing with Armstrong in the first place was stupid because he is like Garth Snow in that he absolutely will not make a deal unless he is completely certain he has won it badly.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
In no way shape or form are we better off without ROR and with Sobotka, Berglund and Tage. They were arguably the 3 worst players on the entire Blues roster last season and all 3 have been every bit as awful as anyone who paid any attention to that team knew they would be. And the cherry on top is that the one decent asset we got back (the 19 #1) is getting turned into worthless trash by getting pushed back into what is projected to be one of the worst drafts in living memory because we were dumb enough to hand them super lottery protection. Trading ROR isn't the biggest problem, not being patient and rushing to take a pitiful and embarrassing offer is. And dealing with Armstrong in the first place was stupid because he is like Garth Snow in that he absolutely will not make a deal unless he is completely certain he has won it badly.
I disagree that the next draft is going to be one of the worsts at this point when a lot of risers make the jump typically in a year and its so far away to really tell who all the top ones really are at this point.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I disagree that the next draft is going to be one of the worsts at this point when a lot of risers make the jump typically in a year and its so far away to really tell who all the top ones really are at this point.
But even if it isn't it still won't even be in the same galaxy as this years draft.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Usually you hear of players a year or two out and you know its a good draft, next years draft is still waiting for that break-out top player. You have 3 players kinda vying for top but all of them could easily get jumped by the guy 10 spots down. No one is solidifying themselves for spots yet unlike this year with Hughes and Kakko who were already talked about before Dahlins draft.

The top players in the draft are being heralded as average NHL players, not game changers. If that's the top of the 2020 draft then expect it to get weaker as we get lower.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I chuckled for a second and then felt real bad for the guy. Yes he makes tons a money but being on another crappy team has got to be soul crushing. He seems to have the worst luck imaginable with the NHL teams he’s been on.

hereisnowhy

Oct 18, 2018

I really thought that shedding Berglund and Sobotka would make the Blues a far more cohesive team, if for no other reason than new blood joining the unit. Though the Blues forecheck is now even softer than ever, ROR was a steal as long the ROR cancer folks like to mention isn’t the problem in STL.

Last year someone slashed the utter hell out the STL goalie, Hutton even I think, right in front of Berglund and he did absolutely nothing. He got benched the next game, but he became a complete bitch imo.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009

I chuckled for a second and then felt real bad for the guy. Yes he makes tons a money but being on another crappy team has got to be soul crushing. He seems to have the worst luck imaginable with the NHL teams he’s been on.

He'll always be able to join Team Canada at the IIHF this Spring.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

O’Reilly had stopped his routines the season before last because Bylsma was running him into the ground.

O’Reilly got singled out for his comments by a dogshit Buffalo media, full-stop. And those same clowns continue to spit garbage like a “vortex of sadness” because they’re friendly with last season’s terrible goaltenders and the coach who remains a ball and chain.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
O’Reilly had stopped his routines the season before last because Bylsma was running him into the ground.

O’Reilly got singled out for his comments by a dog**** Buffalo media, full-stop. And those same clowns continue to spit garbage like a “vortex of sadness” because they’re friendly with last season’s terrible goaltenders and the coach who remains a ball and chain.
So, you attack the media, condemn Bylsma and nothing is OReilly's fault. Got it.

His team is losing again, its only a matter of time before he starts to crack again.

How long before he loses his love for hockey in St. Louis and says some controversial things to get him another trade and on the way out the door talk about how it wasn't his place and listen to the OReilly apologists defend him again.

PS. I wonder what Duchene his friend meant when he said he was a good teammate "ON THE ICE"
A strange thing to say.

pigpen65

Jul 25, 2011
Worst thing for ROR's career was being traded to the Sabres. Had he gone to UFA he could have chosen a competitive team with stable management and slid into a cushy spot on the wing on a scoring line. Not had to be the top dog like he was in Buffalo and now is in St Louis. It's not the right role for him. Whoever his agent is didn't do him any favors.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Yes, you got it "luck". I am not saying everything is OReilly's fault but they missed the playoffs last year by 2 points. They have a better team this year. I am not sure if I would call that luck

I would also like to mention a player called Olli Jokinen. A good player, 1231 NHL games and only 6 playoff games.

Please show the clips where he is crying about the lost love for the game. If memory serves me right he was always a positive guy who LOVED hockey.

EDIT: This is about ROR making 7.5m and crying about losing love for a game that most people dream about.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

Listen to this guy speak. 6 playoff games in a 15 year career. He had bad luck playing for Winnipeg, Calgary and Florida in the 2000s. Was also a captain. This is the last year he played.
He speaks about negative energy, how it is wrong and to be positive. 6 career playoff games in 1200+ nhl games and that is is attitude.

Now listen to ROR.
Listen to the Locker room this year.

With ROR its not about skill.

Last edited:

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland

Listen to this guy speak. 6 freaken playoff games in a 15 year career. This is the last year he played.
He speaks about negative energy, how it is wrong and to be positive. 6 career playoff games in 1200+ nhl games and that is is attitude.

Now listen to ROR.
Listen to the Locker room this year.

With ROR its not about skill.

ROR was never part of such an epic thread as Jokinen either. Unfortunately, I can't find the link anymore, but here is a gif. If ROR ever gets his love for the game back, maybe he can be in an epic thread too.

3911050+_7f7c821c885a05c45ca19d1f1272f746.gif

Reactions: joshjull

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY

O’Reilly got singled out for his comments by a dog**** Buffalo media, full-stop. And those same clowns continue to spit garbage like a “vortex of sadness” because they’re friendly with last season’s terrible goaltenders and the coach who remains a ball and chain.

Thanks for the confirmation, I guess? You can't pin it all on Dufus though. O'Reilly clearly had mental lapses and played uncharacteristically poorly at times last season. Put those comments in front of any Canadian media and bigger US hockey markets and they all devour that crap. Can't single out Buffalo media for this, as bad as they are.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
ROR was never part of such an epic thread as Jokinen either. Unfortunately, I can't find the link anymore, but here is a gif. If ROR ever gets his love for the game back, maybe he can be in an epic thread too.

3911050+_7f7c821c885a05c45ca19d1f1272f746.gif
I'm enjoying this gif way more than I should :laugh:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
So, you attack the media, condemn Bylsma and nothing is OReilly's fault. Got it.

His team is losing again, its only a matter of time before he starts to crack again.

How long before he loses his love for hockey in St. Louis and says some controversial things to get him another trade and on the way out the door talk about how it wasn't his place and listen to the OReilly apologists defend him again.

PS. I wonder what Duchene his friend meant when he said he was a good teammate "ON THE ICE"
A strange thing to say.
The point was that O’Reilly didn’t end his routine last season, it was the year before, due to concerns about his workload.

And nothing O’Reilly said was more or less controversial than anything else said during locker room cleanout, he happened to be singled out for it. And the media members responsible have been far more defensive of bad goaltenders who were bad teammates, and the coach who is still flailing around making the team worse.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Thanks for the confirmation, I guess? You can't pin it all on Dufus though. O'Reilly clearly had mental lapses and played uncharacteristically poorly at times last season. Put those comments in front of any Canadian media and bigger US hockey markets and they all devour that crap. Can't single out Buffalo media for this, as bad as they are.
Your big piece of evidence that O’Reilly was less invested last season was something that he stopped the season before.

Sure, O’Reilly had a down year, and maybe mindset colored it on the margins, but his performance fluctuations are pretty much perfectly connected to linemate quality, and playing a nonsensical role that has proven to crater team and player performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->