Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign Jake Virtanen [2 years, $1.25M AAV]

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Canucks re-sign Virtanen
Vancouver, B.C. - Vancouver Canucks General Manager Jim Benning announced today that the club has signed forward Jake Virtanen to a two-year deal with an AAV of $1.25M.

"We're pleased to sign Jake to an extension," said Jim Benning. "He adds physical presence and speed to our line-up and can help create offensive chances when going hard to the net. We look forward to seeing Jake take the next step in his game and consistently contribute to the team's success."

Reactions: cookiefest

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
wow. that is a bargain. what a difference arbitration rights make.

surprised he did not take a one year deal.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
So......why am i hearing that he's our "Tom Wilson"?

Because like Wilson he's another 1st round pick with some size who has busted relative to expectations. Every Canucks player is going to work out, didn't you know?

$1.25M per for 2 years isn't anything to get worked up about; however, my question is this: What did Jake accomplish that earned him a raise?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Because like Wilson he's another 1st round pick with some size who has busted relative to expectations. Every Canucks player is going to work out, didn't you know?

$1.25M per for 2 years isn't anything to get worked up about; however, my question is this: What did Jake accomplish that earned him a raise?

the elc contract rates are not indicators of market value. if he was signed as a ufa at 18 he'd be taking a huge pay cut now.

proper question is what would he get as a ufa?

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Decent value. Have a really good feeling about him this year still, albeit it's my last straw for him.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C

Nothing. The Benning tax was just added to that contract.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com

Thought so. Contracts fine, nothing to nit pick.
But still, its indefensible that a 6th overall picks ceiling is now considered as a "Tom Wilson". Im still holding out that he can put it together, but it's not looking too good.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Jakes “raise” is actually a discount from his previous contract because his previous contract included bonuses however now he probably doesn’t get bonuses so his base salary went up. Makes sense and it’s a fair contract which I’m suprised I’m saying about a benning contract

Reactions: DonnyNucker

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Wait you now consider deployment and ice time when everyone else argued granlund was a bust due to his production being only deployment and icetime based.....

I never said anything like that about Granlund (although I don’t like him), but yes... that is, at least in part, my argument.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Not a bad deal for a bottom six forward with some speed and physicality. Terrible draft pick, but it does prove you don't have to pay guys like Roussel and Beagle stupid money to play in the bottom six. You draft these guys and sign them to reasonable deals. Just please try not to pick them at the top-end of the first round, please. You can get them deeper in the draft.

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If he can find away to be a 15 - 15 - 30 type 3rd liner and not bleed goals against he'll be worth every penny. If not I'd like to see him traded in some kind of project for project swap in the second year of his contract. A 10g 20p player who's a minus player just isn't worth a contract slot.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

" nothing to get worked up about"

Then immidiately Proceeds to get worked up about it in the thread

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Fair. He’s a more intriguing player than most of the other plugs we’re going to be rolling out in the bottom six next year and is a solid even strength player.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Feels like he took the multi year deal just in case he continues to disappoint in which case he would be offered even less next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad