Prospect Info: Alex Nylander (2016, 8th) – '17-18: Rochester #92 (AHL)

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
This is his last chance and the most important season of his career. If he can't turn it around now I don't see any hope for this kid.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
And playing leagues below his projected performance. He's a bottom 6 skater in the AHL going into his 3rd season here, he needs to work on his compete level. An 8th overall selection should be expected to do better.

First season in the AHL he should have been in the OHL. Second AHL season he was injured. I give him 2 more seasons.
Hall Pass.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Here’s hoping the light switch is on, and they make him earn it for twenty games even if he looks close to ready in training camp.

If he could wake up and provide even 35 points he could greatly improve the fwd balance.

Reactions: Mitts888

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Here’s hoping the light switch is on, and they make him earn it for twenty games even if he looks close to ready in training camp.

If he could wake up and provide even 35 points he could greatly improve the fwd balance.
Points wise he finished strong last year. 18 in the final 23 games.

I think he should get a shot. He doesn't look bad when he plays with the Sabres.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Points wise he finished strong last year. 18 in the final 23 games.

I think he should get a shot. He doesn't look bad when he plays with the Sabres.
I didn't realize he had that good of a finish. Makes me feel better

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Did Nylander officially change his number to #10? He's wearing that in camp.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Did Nylander officially change his number to #10? He's wearing that in camp.

Which camp is that? He just changed to #92 last season and Pilut was wearing #10 at the Development Camp, and I'm guessing that's Pilut's number this fall as well.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Like Grigorenko before him, the organization botched his development. He should not have been playing professionally in his D+1 season. His close to the regular season - 21 pts in 29 games (.72 ppg) - offered a glimmer of hope, and I'll give him a pass on his playoff in light of his age and that just about everyone besides Bailey and Blackwell sucked in that series. He needs to be at or above the scoring pace of his last 29 games of last season.

Reactions: Chainshot

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I didn't realize he had that good of a finish. Makes me feel better
Almost all secondary assists, very little contribution to the actual goals. He was benched in the playoffs because he just couldn’t keep up with the intensity. You can’t teach compete and effort, which is what he lacks. You just have to hope his talent overcomes it.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Which camp is that? He just changed to #92 last season and Pilut was wearing #10 at the Development Camp, and I'm guessing that's Pilut's number this fall as well.
OK my bad. Just saw a picture of him wearing #10 but it was from last year's camp. I thought with Eichel switching his number, maybe Nylander was too. Thanks for clarifying.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Almost all secondary assists, very little contribution to the actual goals. He was benched in the playoffs because he just couldn’t keep up with the intensity. You can’t teach compete and effort, which is what he lacks. You just have to hope his talent overcomes it.
Can always count on you for a warm and fuzzy take on all things Amerks :D

He has looked better in the NHL than in the AHL which is weird.

Reactions: lancaster14

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Can always count on you for a warm and fuzzy take on all things Amerks :D

He has looked better in the NHL than in the AHL which is weird.
I think I’ll have more positives this year. A lot of good prospects. It’s been a desert around here for far too long. No need to sugarcoat.

But yes, I agree he’s looked a bit better in Buffalo. The NHL is more organized and structured, while the AHL can be chaotic at times. Also, call ups tend to play well the first few games in the NHL and then have a tendency to fall off. Still, the sample size there has been small.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
And playing leagues below his projected performance. He's a bottom 6 skater in the AHL going into his 3rd season here, he needs to work on his compete level. An 8th overall selection should be expected to do better.

I think you misread his post. He said, he's 20.

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I think the bigger question around Nylander is whether he fits the team identity going forward. He's not going to be a 200 foot player who fights for the puck. Botterill could promote him to see if he can put up a few points in a sheltered scoring role, and many guys have milked that into NHL careers. But I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander is high on the trade bait list.

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005
I think the bigger question around Nylander is whether he fits the team identity going forward. He's not going to be a 200 foot player who fights for the puck. Botterill could promote him to see if he can put up a few points in a sheltered scoring role, and many guys have milked that into NHL careers. But I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander is high on the trade bait list.

He's a Swede, tho....

May 2, 2005
Niagara Falls
I do not understand the mentality that this is his last year to prove himself or we are finished with him. We are not hemorrhaging forward prospects out of Rochester that he is taking a valuable spot. He is a skilled prospect playing well below where he was projected to be. I do have my doubts, but there is no reason to cut ties simply out of disappointment, when players selected in his range often do not play their first full season in the NHL after the age of 20.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I think his brother started in the AHL when he was 20 also and got the call up about halfway through that season. I could be wrong but personally, I see bust or trade fodder.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Dont know who he is playing with , dont follow AHL that much. But i know he needs a good give and go center. Like H.Sedin or something like that.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Dont know who he is playing with , dont follow AHL that much. But i know he needs a good give and go center. Like H.Sedin or something like that.
Next year should be our most talented Rochester team in a while. Maybe Pu will center him.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think his brother started in the AHL when he was 20 also and got the call up about halfway through that season. I could be wrong but personally, I see bust or trade fodder.
William's career trajectory is nothing like Alex's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad