Player Discussion Linus Ullmark

ISeeStars

Jun 23, 2018
Iowa
With the departure of Lehner on the horizon, Ullmark is in line to see an increased workload along with a presumed veteran goalie. What is the expectation on the number of games and whether or not he will actually be thrown into the starting role?

I don't see us getting a prime goalie via a trade and I don't like our options for goalie heading into free agency. I feel like there is a realistic chance Ullmark is going to be the starter going into 2018 or at least finish the season as the starter. It feels a little pushed and forced with so little NHL experience but not many options to turn to. Realistic bet of pairing him with Hutton or Ward and playing 40-60 games this year depending on the performance?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I'd sign anybody because I think there will be guys on waivers who are better.

Somebody should go through CapFriendly to see which goalies teams have in their organization who will have to go through waivers down to the AHL.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I've been saying this for awhile. I think Ullmark can become a top 10 goalie in this league.

However rushing him into a starting position now is bad. Slow cook him with 20-30 games a season.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I summed it up in another thread ...
JB doesn’t have a mindset of who will be #1 or #2 because ...

He doesn’t know who the other goalie will be yet. And how much playing time and developing one or both will need this season.

He’s smartly not labeling Ullmark as a starter or a backup. Seems quite clear and simple to me :dunno:

At this point it’s simply a wait and see now.
Step one. Get a second goalie in the next 4-6 weeks. Hopefully sooner.
Step two. Play them both.
Step three. Go with the hot hand like most coaches do every year.
Step four. Evaluate what you have in that goalie tandem after a full season.

Reactions: CacOBG

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016

Somebody should go through CapFriendly to see which goalies teams have in their organization who will have to go through waivers down to the AHL.

not so great actually, here's the AHL/NHL tweener goaltenders

ZANE McINTYRE
JARED COREAU
TOM McCOLLUM
HARRI SÄTERI
CALVIN PICKARD
GARRET SPARKS
JOHN MUSE
DUSTIN TOKARSKI
JEFF GLASS
KEVIN BOYLE
LAURENT BROSSOIT
SCOTT WEDGEWOOD
ANTOINE BIBEAU
RICHARD BACHMAN
PETR MRÁZEK

so probably will sign a Bernier, Halak, Hutchinson, Hutton

no idea why we weren't in on Grubauer - we could have eaten Orpik's contract and given up the pick

Reactions: CacOBG

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I've been saying this for awhile. I think Ullmark can become a top 10 goalie in this league.

However rushing him into a starting position now is bad. Slow cook him with 20-30 games a season.

He’s going to be 25 years old and has been playing goalie most of his life.

If he isn’t ready now he will never be.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

Botts has indicated around 30 games for Ullmark.
Hoping we go after Kari Lehtonen for the other 50 games.

Reactions: pigpen65

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I suppose thats possible. What I got from Botts comments about him was they wanted to keep easing along his development. SO the next step is NHL backup.

I suppose that would be OK. All I’m saying is I would also be comfortable with him getting 45-55 games with another veteran on the team. I think he should be ready for that.

Reactions: Revelate

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I watched every miserable game last year as I’ve watched every miserable game throughout this nightmare. If they sign Cam Ward we will test the limits of that continuing.

Reactions: Buffaloed

Tsyolin

Amerks Enthusiast
May 26, 2018
DC
We need to bring in somebody to at least share the net with Ullmark. I still expect to see him starting by the end of the year though. Maybe it's time to bring back Sabres legend Halak? Realistically though I'd like to see Khudobin or Lehtonen here to insulate the kid a bit.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Vegas is the one that is most interesting to me. They have MAF entrenched as their starter, but both Dansk (RFA) and Subban (signed) are no longer waiver exempt. They probably have to move one of them.

Philly is the other team that's interesting, they have a bunch of guys in the system. Elliott, Neuvirth, and Mrazek (RFA) are all with the big club, and they have Stolarz, Lyon, and Tokarski in the AHL, and Hart and Sandstrom coming up soon. Some even think Hart could play in the NHL next year.

It's already been reported that they're gonna walk away from Mrazek. I think they plan on going forward with Elliot and Neuvirth again until Hart is ready to take the reigns. It's definitely an interesting situation to keep an eye on, if for nothing else than AHL starter options. I'd prefer to grab Elliott if he somehow becomes available.

Reactions: Buffaloed

GameMisconduct

Jul 20, 2006
Cam Ward is legitimately terrible. Every time his name has been mentioned this has been pointed out. The numbers and the eye test are in complete synchrony on that front.

I'll say this again as well, for whatever veteran, former cup winning intangibles people also might pine for, their only tangible result has been to drag his teams down via his own craptastic performance.

Reactions: ZZamboni

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad