25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#6

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Dog days of summer so I thought this would be a good time to try to put this together.

Just picked Patrick 2nd obviously and with a ton of new faces both already on the team and ready to debut in '17 it feels like the beginning of a new era for the franchise.

25 is also a tidy number so of course there's that as well.

Spanning the beginning of the Lindros era (give or take) til now which players make up the board's consensus for best of the last 25 years? I added goalies as well because I want a hard and fast and more or less "definitive" list.

Use your own criteria for your decision and after you vote if you feel like it post who you voted for and why.

Thanks all. Lemme know if I forgot anyone in the poll.

Winner of Poll #5 is: Recchi, Mark.
Link to Previous Poll: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2381199

25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)
#1: Lindros, Eric (93-00) 486-290-369-659- 84%
#2: LeClair, John (95-04) 649-333-310-643-42%
#3: Giroux, Claude (08-17) 656-180-395-575-61%
#4: Desjardins, Eric (95-06) 738-93-303-396-49%
#5: Recchi, Mark (92-95, 99-04) 602-232-395-627-44%
giphy.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Votes Rod, just realized I'd forgotten about Briere through this series so far. I think I've completely shaken up my mental list like 4627272.4 times now.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Rod will no doubt run away with this... but I went for a reasonable dark horse at this point... arguably the third best D-Man in Flyers History... the long-time mainstay and deminuative warrior who took no back steps ever... Mr. Nice Guy... a true class act... Kimmo.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Rod will no doubt run away with this... but I went for a reasonable dark horse at this point... arguably the third best D-Man in Flyers History... the long-time mainstay and deminuative warrior who took no back steps ever... Mr. Nice Guy... a true class act... Kimmo.

Kimmo is my next pick. Was surprised he didn't have any votes yet when I voted.

Chuck Downie

Cheese and olive
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
After BrindÀmour, I`m going with Gagne, Timonen and then Hextall. This is Hextall 1992 on, so he`d be higher for sure if we were counting before that.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Briere shouldn't see this poll for at least 5 slots

With Briere it was more the PostSeason streaks and Clutch Goals... as well as the intangibles... than the RegularSeason Stats posted would suggest.

He chose the Flyers at their bleakest point in many years and helped them turn things around... he helped bring a legitimacy to a floundering team that was adrift in the then new Cap Era... while his Regular Seasons were very respectable, his PostSeasons were outstanding... and he arguably was robbed of the Conn Smyth in 2010 after his NHL record breaking stats for the losing side.

He is getting little recognition here... and as suggested, may not get any for another five rounds or so... but IMO, he deserves much greater placement than he will ultimately receive.

Plus he was/is by far one of the most fan friendly Flyers Players to have ever spent time wearing orange and black... his huge broad smile seems to be 100% sincere.

JMO

EDIT:
My autocorrect messed up my original post something fierce... and initially got by me -- Vonn Smyth? For crying out loud LOL -- anyway, I hope not many read it that way.

Also... after reading it, I believe I had Danny signing here too early... after the worst in NHL Season... he actually signed after they got their footing a bit once again IIRC ... but still, my rational still holds true.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
With. Briere it was more the PostSeason streaks and Clutch Goals... as well as the intangibles... than the RegularSeason Stats posted would suggest.

He chose the Flyers at their bleakest point in many years and helped them turn thing around... he helped bring a legitimacy to a floundering team that was adrift in the then new Cap Era... while his Regular Seasons were very respectable, his PostSeasons were outstanding... and he inarguably was robbed of the Vonn Smyth in 2010 after his NHL record breaking stats for the losing side.

He is getting little recognition here... and as suggested, may not get any for another five rounds or so... but IMO, he deserves much greater placement than he will ultimately receive.

Plus was/is by far one of the most fan friendly Flyers Players to have ever spent time wearing orange and black... his huge broad smile seems to be 100% sincere.

JMO

Briere is in my top 10

WestrnPhlyr

Go away or I shall taunt you a second time.
Jul 17, 2015
NW Inland Empire
I went with #17 this round as well. I always loved Rod.

The next three are a tossup for me....#12, #44, #48 probably. Just not sure which order to put them in. Sawdalite basically summed up my feelings on Briere. I always remember him scoring the goals that were needed at the right moments. I understand why some may rank him lower but I loved watching him sneak in and put one past a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad