25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)-#5

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Dog days of summer so I thought this would be a good time to try to put this together.

Just picked Patrick 2nd obviously and with a ton of new faces both already on the team and ready to debut in '17 it feels like the beginning of a new era for the franchise.

25 is also a tidy number so of course there's that as well.

Spanning the beginning of the Lindros era (give or take) til now which players make up the board's consensus for best of the last 25 years? I added goalies as well because I want a hard and fast and more or less "definitive" list.

Use your own criteria for your decision and after you vote if you feel like it post who you voted for and why.

Thanks all. Lemme know if I forgot anyone in the poll.

Winner of Poll #4 is: Desjardins, Eric.
Link to Previous Poll: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2380309

25 Greatest Philadelphia Flyers of the Last 25 Years (1992-2017)
#1: Lindros, Eric (93-00) 486-290-369-659- 84%
#2: LeClair, John (95-04) 649-333-310-643-42%
#3: Giroux, Claude (08-17) 656-180-395-575-61%
#4: Desjardins, Eric (95-06) 738-93-303-396-49%
giphy.gif

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Close between Recchi and Brind'Amour but I think it has to go to Recchi.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Going with Rod the Bod

This is one of my favorite videos to watch. I was lucky enough to be at the draft in Philly. We the fans booed for the entirety of the draft minus two moments: when the Flyers made their pick at 17 and when Brindamour took to the stage.

[Yt]GRpkeIkSoeI[/MEDIA]

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I was lucky enough to be at the draft in Philly. We the fans booed for the entirety of the draft minus two moments: when the Flyers made their pick at 17 and when Brindamour took to the stage.

I was there. Hard to grasp how great the fans were that day if you weren't in attendance.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The correct answer is, of course, the current GM and former goaltender / enforcer / lumberjack / Conn Smythe winner.

Hextall post 92 wasn't all that great. League average at best.

Not sure how we can include his pre-92 years since it falls outside of the 25 year window.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
I wouldn't argue with people who take Recchi's career over Brind'Amour's, but I take Rod as a Flyer. He was a step behind offensively while being more than that ahead defensively. He was a Flyer through and through, and I was very happy for him when he got his Cup and long-deserved Selkes in Carolina.

I am a bit biased, though, as he was my favorite player as a kid.

Hextall is also in the mix coming up. It gets really tough from there, though.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Should be recchi over rod by alot more

Why's that? I know Recchi is a Hall of Famer, but Rod should be too. 2- way players are too often undervalued in my opinion. I think they are close as the poll suggests.

(Don't mind me though, I'm like the Brind'Amour version of boxcar)

Last edited:

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
imo as a somewhat old-head

i'd have

recchi
brindy
gagne

then a tier in no particular order:
carter/briere/primeau/richards/simmonds/timonen/pronger

then another also in no order:
voracek/forsberg/hartnell/renberg/hextall (there was a lot of bad with the good)

then a final tier likewise no order:
therien/roenick/knuble/johnsson/mason/cechmanek

then a lot of honorable mentions:
coburn/couturier/galley/handzus/pitkanen/boucher/kapanen/falloon/svoboda (not on list)/coffey (not on list)/richardson (not on list)/jagr (not on list)

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
imo as a somewhat old-head

i'd have

recchi
brindy
gagne

then a tier in no particular order:
carter/briere/primeau/richards/simmonds/timonen/pronger

then another also in no order:
voracek/forsberg/hartnell/renberg/hextall (there was a lot of bad with the good)

then a final tier likewise no order:
therien/roenick/knuble/johnsson/mason/cechmanek

then a lot of honorable mentions:
coburn/couturier/galley/handzus/pitkanen/boucher/kapanen/falloon/svoboda (not on list)/coffey (not on list)/richardson (not on list)/jagr (not on list)

Voracek should be in a tier above Briere.

Briere is one of the more overrated Flyers in this tenure IMO.

I'd bump up Coots too.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Recchi pretty easily for me here. Brindy is easily next followed by Gagne and then it gets tough between Forsberg, Pronger, Richards, Carter, Falloon, Briere, and Timonen.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Bumping to see if we can get more votes since its close.

It might just be my poor short term memory... but it seems this round is longer than previous ones.

At this rate it will take months to finish up... It will be interesting if during the Season, the Current Players are impacted one way or another by how they are playing... Simmer Jake, etal may be able to win votes with monster games... or lose some with clunkers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad