Post-Game Talk: #25- 03/11/21 | RANGERS @ boston | 7:00 - ESPN+ MSG2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
We had that will last year. We lost it since Covid Cup.

What's the differences? Ruff left and JD came on board. How do we go from a fun, relentless exciting team, to this?
I'll tell you how.

da536d3b92abb0fe0158b99a93727c81

This guy isn't in the locker room. This is THE guy, no matter whether he played or not, that lead the team.

Nobody wanted to play bad because they saw this guy's work ethic and his intensity. He brought accountability in that locker room for over a decade. And that genuine veteran presence isn't there anymore.

I guarantee you that if he were on this team, he'd be getting in people's faces. He had the team's respect. And he only accepted a winning culture.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Even “good top six” is generous. We have an elite LW, a decent 1C, a 2RW (maybe 3RW on a contender) playing 1RW, a decent 2C (arguably 3C on a contender) and a 3RW playing 2RW. This is middle of the pack and consistent with our position in the standings. The defense is atrocious. Fox his clearly a 1RD; Trouba is an overpaid 2RD (3RD on a contender); Lindgren is at best a 2LD on a competitive team; the rest of the guys are not NHL caliber defensemen — at least not yet or not anymore.

But I fully agree with the spirit of your post. Fans tend to overrate their own assets.
...except when we were actually good and people downplayed the amount of talent we had. :laugh:

Reactions: CasusBelli

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I'll tell you how.

This guy isn't in the locker room. This is THE guy, no matter whether he played or not, that lead the team.

Nobody wanted to play bad because they saw this guy's work ethic and his intensity. He brought accountability in that locker room for over a decade. And that genuine veteran presence isn't there anymore.

I guarantee you that if he were on this team, he'd be getting in people's faces. He had the team's respect. And he only accepted a winning culture.
Agreed about Hank, but also other veterans that have left in the past few years...Staal, Girardi, McD, Fast...they haven't replaced the leadership and it shows in the effort they put out. There is little to no accountability, which is a BIG problem, especially with a young team.
I'm surprised JD and JG have not addressed this by bringing in vets, with winning pedigree and leadership qualities to show the way to this young group.
What bothers me about this year is that the team does not seem prepared to play from the drop of the puck. You can't control much about what happens during a game, but the one thing that is 100% in the players hands is effort. Effort and work ethic comes from each individual players commitment to one another as teammates, but they need leaders to show the way and the coaching to then enforce it!

Reactions: egelband

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
...except when we were actually good and people downplayed the amount of talent we had. :laugh:
The Nash hate, for example, certainly comes to mind. I think some were also annoyed with Richards. Maybe they didn’t produce as much as they did in their primes — but that shouldn’t be surprising: it’s called a “prime” for a reason.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'll tell you how.

It hurts for sure. Lundqvist was the ultimate competitor. He was intense.

that’s why I think we need a alpha personality type coach. This team needs a drill sergeant. It doesn’t have to be the head coach it could be one of the assistants

Quinn was more fiery his first 2 seasons. I distinctly remember him stopping practices and freaking out when they were half assing it.

1200ftalt

Apr 30, 2014
Fox is a great player but he is no DeAngelo, both played separate roles effectively, Fox will never be a PP quarterback, management caused this crash by trying to be PC, they don’t understand that there Audience that they are trying to impress doesn’t watch hockey ....

Reactions: tbassler

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Fox is a great player but he is no DeAngelo, both played separate roles effectively, Fox will never be a PP quarterback, management caused this crash by trying to be PC, they don’t understand that there Audience that they are trying to impress doesn’t watch hockey ....

Fox is a pp quarterback. Forget about Deangelo, he can't even get on an ahl team.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I dig this idea that an intelligent player incredible at passing and keeping the puck in the zone is a poor PPQB option.

Fox’s play at the opponent’s blue line is as good as any other defenseman in the league. The poise, IQ, and passing are all elite.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Fox is a pp quarterback. Forget about Deangelo, he can't even get on an ahl team.
It's Buch trying to defend a top 3 lw in the league, theres a reason marchand crosses sides of the ice to go around buch instead of fox
These are both ridiculous takes lol
DeAngelo was the 4th leading scoring dman in the NHL last season, while being 5 years younger than anyone ahead of him. If we're talking purely about the on-ice, he's one of the best pp quarterbacks in the NHL, let alone the AHL.

And Buchnevich is one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL this season. He's in like the top percentile for PK analytics, the guy cleared the puck 3 times in the last PK alone. Routinely has 2-4 clears per PK. Our PK is one of the best in the NHL this year and he's the biggest part of it

1200ftalt

Apr 30, 2014
Except he can’t put the puck in the net. Fox is a great player but he can’t do what Tony DeAngelo did on the power play which is hurting this team. Hard to watch grown men stalking and being creepy to 20 year old hockey players, Auf , they feel sorry for people like you.

1200ftalt

Apr 30, 2014
I dig this idea that an intelligent player incredible at passing and keeping the puck in the zone is a poor PPQB option.

Fox’s play at the opponent’s blue line is as good as any other defenseman in the league. The poise, IQ, and passing are all elite.
Except he can’t put the puck in the net. Fox is a great player but he can’t do what Tony DeAngelo did on the power play which is hurting this team. Hard to watch grown men stalking and being creepy to 20 year old hockey players, Auf , they feel sorry for people like you.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I mean, sure Tony was great at putting shots on the goalie during the PP, but all his shots were muffins. And that's insulting to muffins.

Fox distributes the puck really well on the PP and transitioning into the zone to set up the play. That's vastly more important than just putting the puck on net from the top of the umbrella.

Having Fox QB'ing the PP instead of Tony isn't what's hurting the team. Far from it.

Reactions: CasusBelli and Tob

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'll tell you how.

I miss having one of our players get as pissed as we do when he or the team played poorly :(

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
They don’t? DeAngelo’s gone. He did it to himself. Stop trying to blame others and get over it.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

And yet no one's into adding such an "important" piece.

They couldn't give him away.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Fox is no ADA, thankfully.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Shit like this is why they got rid of you, Tony.

Reactions: CasusBelli

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I can’t tell if the ineffectiveness we’ve seen this season is part of normal growing pains or indicative of fundamental problems.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I did notice that Trouba is probably our only defenseman who can break up an opponents rush in the neutral zone and turn the play into Ranger offense. I think he was missed more than many thought. He is still a bit rusty but him getting back on track should help a lot.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
The Nash hate, for example, certainly comes to mind. I think some were also annoyed with Richards. Maybe they didn’t produce as much as they did in their primes — but that shouldn’t be surprising: it’s called a “prime” for a reason.

Richards sure. Nash was supposed to be in his prime and was paid for it. He came in and dipsydoodled into decent statlines but never gave even 65%. I hated that.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I mean, sure Tony was great at putting shots on the goalie during the PP, but all his shots were muffins. And that's insulting to muffins.

Fox distributes the puck really well on the PP and transitioning into the zone to set up the play. That's vastly more important than just putting the puck on net from the top of the umbrella.

Having Fox QB'ing the PP instead of Tony isn't what's hurting the team. Far from it.

Its not really a weakness of Fox — but TDA brought puck tempo to our PP and that complimented Ziba and Panarin really well. Don’t think Fox in anyway is weak in this area — but it was by far TDAs biggest strength.

Reactions: bl02 and leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->