HF Habs: 24CH

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
Interesting broadcast along a tip-top animator. Not the outstanding comedian in the Beautiful Province. Tho, Maxim Martin earned his place. Knowing the sport small bit. Fourth season in place.

Accessible on Fibe TV1.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
S.4 E.01 24CH The Valet
Maxim Marin drives around Jesperi Kotkaniemi and Antti Niemi who tells us about life in Finland
MM
1)Is the language totally different between Sweden/Norway/Finland? Or you can understand each other? Are there similarities?

2)Finland was just voted the happiest country of the world. I was asking why? You say it’s free school? Low crimes I guess. Vodka of course! What else? What makes Finnish people so happy? What’s great there that we don’t have here?

3)What’s it like to play with your childhood idol? You’ve a post of Armia in you room when you were a kid right? It’s still there? C’mon say it… Did you tell him that you were a big fan when you saw him, what’s so special? You guys come from the same city… What’s about you town (AN)?

4)In Canada they make a mistake where it’s to the point now where kids play 12 months a year. In Europe, they encouraging guys to do other sports. Like you know football/soccer/tennis. Hockey is the #1 Sport there?

5)Is the Finnish League the #1 one league or… The people over they try to watch NHL Games?

6)It happens late to you, you signed late and was drafted. Did you always believe: we’re gonna make it? Or you get closer to say no I’ll do something else? When did it happens to hope of becoming real? Then, you’ve the scouts of the Blackhawks seems to be one of the most exciting day of your life… And you were driving a Zamboni in the same time… It seems to take longer to make it in the NHL (Goalies). I was talking to Waite. And he says yes it takes so a while… Can you explain me why? It’s tough for them to gives up on a goal, the focus in on you. What’s the toughest part?

7)It’s funny because I know this, the younger kids of your generation (JK) when it comes to the media are a lot more open than the other generations. You guys are more close I find. The 30 years old, you guys more by the book… Am I wrong? You’ve been to a few places (AN)… Chicago is a big hockey market. You been to Pittsburgh. You been here in Montreal. What’s the difference between all the markets that you been to? It’s different with the media too? Do you feel that pressure?

8)Are you taking notes dude (JK)? You pretty well surrounded with Antti then Lehkonen and stuffs… What’s were the 1st advice they gave you? But I’m sure it’s the same thing in Finland?

9)The 1st time it happens to you (Interviews)… I guess it was a shock... Your head might be spinning?

JK
1)It’s totally different, I think so. We’re learning Swedish in school. Second language of the country. Swedish is a little bit like English.

2) That must be true (laughing). It’s a Russian thing (Vodka).

3) No, it’s not anymore there. But it might be somewhere, I’m not sure… He knows that. We’re both of a small city. West side of Finland. Funny because that place is small… And we’ve two players in the same team (NHL). So it’s pretty awesome. Hockey is big there. Twelve NHL Players from Pori (All Time).

5) People are more watching the Finnish League because the time difference (North America/Finland) so big. So the games are coming like 2 o’clock of the night. They tryna watch more Finnish League. It’s popular.

6) It was my dream (Zamboni).

8) No, I don’t need that… Of course, be careful with the media. That’s the 1st thing I heard before I came there. Just that media might be very aggressive if you’re not doing well. They might ask you bad questions… So be ready for that. Little bit different (in Finland). Might be one reporter with a mic. And looking his toes. Asking two questions and thank you…

9) Yeah it was a little bit weird. But I try to have fun there.

AN:
1)We’ve to learn (School). They’re not very related (Finnish/Swedish). Same structure (English/Swedish).

2)I’ld say it’s similar to Canada (Finland). Free health care. Free public school. Something like that... It’s safe, it’s one of the best thing.

3) Way more, really more (Vantaa).

4) Were the time they want to do so much… When you were twelve you had to stop playing soccer. It’s like Canada (Hockey #1 Sport).

6) I always thought say:I’m going to play hockey professional. But I didn’t know how far I’ll be able to make it tho... I played a couple years as one of the top goalies in the Finnish League. At that time, I knew that I got a chance to come over (NHL). I knew there was scouts of couple teams watching me in my last year (Finnish League). So, it was very hopeful. When I was young like 18-19, it been a while (Zamboni). It’s like a bicycle. For sure, overall players are even more ready then probably the goalies. It’s just the experience…

7)Maybe… Try to tell him to shut up once a while (concerning JK). I feel like there is way more people in the rink (Montreal Medias). Everyday, everybody is hard on you. But you don’t focus on that. Focus on you own thing… I’m getting older, you should get better on those things (Answer to the Media).

Reactions: larrypacman8167

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
S.4 E.02 24CH The Valet
Maxim Martin said:
1)You came over 1st rookie camp and the preseason and stuffs… How long did you take to stop being nervous before you were afraid to make a mistake? When you first skating on the ice as a rookie you’ve the tendency to maybe pass the puck more to make sure you don’t screw up…

2) What about you Antti? What was your 1st reaction when you came here in Montreal? Having Stephane again… What’s the 1st thing you work on when you came here?

3)When a goalie goes thorough tough phases what’s the problem? Did you get away from the basic? You forget things? Does it start to be too much in your head?

4)And you (JK) man, Mom got to the town. When did she get in? Are you happy to see Mom, are you sure? And having Mom around it’s not just good for the food… I mean from what I read she’s kinda the coach of your family. Dad is the assistant coach? To have a dad as a coach help you a lot too?

5)What was your biggest influence on your hockey career? (AN). So to say this you’re almost the twice the age of this young man here… What do you know from the young players when they get to the NHL? Physically and mentally?

6)Let’s be honest now we’re friends… What do you think of making the NHL? Did you believe from the start (1st option)? Or you didn’t think about it too much (2nd option)?

7) What was the draft day? It gotta be so exciting and nervous at the same time. You’ve no idea what will happen. All you know is your life is going to change in the next few minutes and hours.

8)What was your welcome moment in the NHL? What was your most embarrassing moment on the ice?

9) You haven’t finish high school yet (JK)? And one of your teacher teaching you French? Maybe you can take them here (French Course in Montreal). Have you learnt a few words? Who’s teaching you, Danault?

Jesperi Koktaniemi said:
1) I’m not that guy… I just try to enjoy the moment. My dad always told me this: If you’re brave that will give you more chance that will took… I try to go with it. When I came here, new language stuffs like that. Everything was new.

4) Like three days ago. Yes, it’s fun to get her (Mom) here. I’ll get better food that’s for sure (Pasta). She’s totally the coach. He (Dad) might be a team manager. If I want to have little advices, he’ll always help on those things. He’s a former player.

6)Actually, I try to go with that (2nd option). I didn’t know what to expect because I never be here ever. The game is different. So of course that will take time to be used to…

7) I didn’t remember a lot… Just that this day went quickly. I just came to the rink, settle my place. And I was there like 15 minutes. Then I went to the stage and the backroom with the media like two hours. I’m happy whatever I’m going. But this is the best option the best hockey team in the word (CH).

8) The 1st goal that I made in preseason. That was pretty sick. It might be last night when Armia hit me in the middle of the ice. I got the puck and he came to me… Like what are you doing man?

9) Maybe someday. Usually its three (total years in high school) Not yet, but when I’m going back (to his country learning French). I’ll try to get some lessons. It might be. That’s true yeah I learn something (with Danault and Peca).

Antti Niemi said:
1) Excited. That helped too (Waite). We do a lot of basic stuffs to keep that sharp. It’s gonna help your game the most. I don’t think there’s anything new that somebody can come up with… Just keep the structure and the basic stuffs at the top shape.

2) Probably try too much sometimes…

5)Couple goalie coaches really got me training when I was kid. Then later I’ll say probably Pasi Nurminen who was my goalie coach in the Finnish League for three years and really helps me to get better. They’re so ready at their young age. Finland has produced really good hockey players. More than before. More confident and then more ready to go away.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
S.4 .03 24CH The Valet
Maxim Martin chilling with Xavier Ouellet and Matthew Peca who tells us about their journeys to the NHL and the difficulties of being a free agent.
Maxim Martin said:
1): Two new faces on the team. Have you been spared?
2): They’ll get to you eventually, the traditions still exist. All the new players will have some sort of initiation or will be the victim of a prank, am I right?
3): Most hockey fans think that it’s easy and that it’s highly paid job and when you have money, you have no problems... But when you’re a free agent or when your contract is bought out, real life catches up. You just an important summer where you both needed to think of the future.
4): It’s also nerve-wracking right? You want to follow your instinct, but not make the wrong decision.
5): Matthew, you went to an American College. You said you never hesitated? You really wanted to try.
6): Xavier, you chose the traditional junior hockey path. Was amazed to see the discipline that they were teaching you in the junior league, so you could study as much as possible. They prepare you for what it’s going to be like later. You already feel like if you were in the NHL…
7): Do the players choose or is it the organization for the captaincy?
8): Xavier, you wore the C for the last two years in Junior? Was it the organization or the guys in your case? It’s the ultimate compliment…
9): Do you feel more pressure when you become captain?
Xavier Ouellet said:
1): Not so bad. We are treated well...
2): There is a rookie party now. There is a night out where all the guys and the rookies take care of it. It’s the new tradition. There were too many problems with some of the pranks. So they stopped doing that. It’s more of a team party and the rookies pay for it.
3): We had big decisions to make. There are many factors to consider, your personal life, your professional life, the skating opportunities, what you are looking for career-wise. I was anxious to know (new destination). I didn’t want to rush to a decision, but I didn’t want to wait too long. I took a whole day talking to my wife, my agents, my parents. I asked myself my questions. I wanted to find the best professional and personal fit for myself.
4) A little. I don’t think there is a bad decision. Once you make a decision, you got with it and you don’t look back. You can’t wonder: what if… Once I made the decision, I invested all my energy into it and I didn’t start questioning myself. It was done…
6): We had study periods during the day, even on the road. We had two or three hours to study per day. It’s not that they don’t put any emphasis on school. I don’t know if it was the same everywhere in the league, but it was like that with us.
8): I think it was the organization… They are the ones who told me. Honestly, I don’t remember. J-F Houle and Joel Bouchard met with me to tell me they wanted me as a captain. I did a press conference and things like that. I was young, I had just turned 18 when I was named captain. But I had good veterans with me, like Raphael Pouliot who was 20 and who knew how things worked. Who helped me assume my role. I was not alone…
9) You don’t need to change. The only difference is that you become more the centre of attention. Don’t change who you are or your game... Because you were chosen for that. If you stay true to yourself and do what you do, it’s enough.
Matthew Peca said:
1): So far so good.
3): Exactly, it as a bit different since Xavier have a family… I’m younger and I don’t have much to do. I took my decision on July 1st. So when the time came, the decision was easy to take. It was a casual day, I was happy.
5): I was a small guy... So I knew that if I wanted to make it to the NHL I needed a bit more time. I needed to train a bit more seriously. So I decided to go to a college to have more time to train and gain strength. You don’t play as many games during school in the States, so I had time to train… To build up…
7): It was different for us… When I was younger, during my first or my second choice, the tam made the choice. When I was captain, there were only two of us in 4th year. The decision was easier.
9): A little, yes. Yes and no… You are captain for a reason so you just need to continue doing what you are doing and play your game. If you feel too much pressure that’s mean, you want to do too much. If you talk a lot, then talk… If you are the quiet type, you don’t need to talk.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
S.4 .04 24CH The Valet
Maxim Martin said:
1) While you were in Juniors, Xavier – and obviously you Matt (at Quinnipiac) – what did you learn in your college and junior careers that you still use today? What was the first real, great hockey lesson that you still have in mind, in both good and bad times?
2) You’re both giving me the impression that you learned discipline from a young age, that’s not bad… It’s a different world.
3) You’re both 25? Just last year, I was talking with Gallagher who was 24 the, and he was talking about ‘’the young guys’’ starting in the league. He sounded like an old guy already… Is there really such a big gap?
4) Are the young guys really that impressive?
5) Some say that’s a good thing practicing many sports in a young age…
6) Is it tough in the American League, mentally? Even with the coach setting up a game system, everybody wants to get to the top… You win, but you didn’t score and are lethargic, or you scored during three games, but the team is going nowhere… I could tell form your eyes; you’ve been scared! Welcome to Days In…
7) What was you ‘’welcome to the NHL’’ moment?
8) What is the physical aspect, the hockey quality on the ice you envy from each other?
9) How does it feel to join a team whose previous year was tough? Happily, here in Montreal, we’ve felt a change since training camp...
10) When they say ‘’One game at the time’’, is that something hockey players do? Or is it sometimes tough to not look too far into the future?
11) What was your toughest moment, where you thought: ‘’Am I ever going to catch a break? What’s going on?’’Everyone has these moments at some point.
Xavier Ouellet said:
1) For me the Juniors were about entering a professional world of hockey with lots of games and travelling. I think what I learned from the Juniors in the lifestyle that comes with playing hockey and discipline required daily to take care of your body and yourself. That’s mainly what I learned.
2) Starting around 15 years old… You’re younger than the rest when you get there, with guys that are 3 or 4 years older. From 16 to 20 years old, it shows. I weighed 150 lbs for 5’9’’ when I started and there were big guys on the ice, like Luke Adam, already weighing 210 lbs. There were a few. You have no choice. I got hurt at 16, and I remember realizing it was harder than I thought; travelling every day, getting to the hotel at 2 AM with a game the next morning, having naps, eating well…
4) I think so. Some people come in- and I can’t name them all – but guys like Larkin, Eichel, McDavid, Matthews were already huge, strong, fast, explosive and dominant when they started in the league, You think ‘’wow’’! You learn they’ve been playing and working out like crazy since they were 14. At 13 and 14, I was still playing soccer in the summers and not yet 100% committed to hockey year round.
5) It was good for me personally; I don’t know what the trend is now, but I feel like guys starting now are better than I was.
6) As soon as you started asking the question, I said ‘’yes’’. It’s a strange atmosphere with intense competition between players and teammates to move up. There are lots of matches, you’re in buses, you’re not in the same kind of hotels. Quality Inn… It’s a little different. They try to schedule games on weekends, but there are 76 or 77 games. So there are three in three, or three in four, four in six… That’s a lot of hockey and competition.
7) I was pretty focused. My first game was against the San Jose Sharks… In Detroit. I checked Thornton. I was freaking out, man. I had the puck and hit it ahead. I thought he was going to hit me so I checked him to protect myself and he really wasn’t expecting it. It wasn’t so bad but he fell. Afterwards, I thought, ‘’That was Thornton!’’ That was my first body check of the League. It was funny. With his big beard, he was three times my size. I was super proud...
8) His speed. If I was that fast, I’d be really good.
9) I’m happy for now. It’s fun to get to camp and see everyone in the same boat, rowing in the same direction, with a positive attitude where they all want to win... I know we’ve only played two games, but it’s great to see the guys all work so hard towards the same goal.
10) We really try. That’s the focus we need and it’s sometimes hard. You lose one, two or three games in a row and it starts to mess with your head, but you try to focus on the next game.
11) Yeah. I think every time you get recalled to the American League, it’s always a slap in the face, it’s never easy. I remember sometimes, I was called out and played a couple of games, and I knew I would return to Grand Rapids. Whatever you move up, you play well; you scored a goal, and played good games… It didn’t change anything. When they tell you, it still hurts.
Matthew Peca said:
1) That’s right. Pretty much the same for me. Before, I’d say it was working out. I didn’t really work out when I played in Junior R and didn’t really understand how important it was.
2) You quickly start to play more seriously in Juniors and college… From day 1, the other kids would say that…
3) It’s a question of experience. For example, he’s no older than me, but he has much more experience, so he’s older in that sense.
4) Think of Kotkaniemi, he acts like a man and he’s mature… When I was 18, there was no way I could have dreamt of playing for the national league.
6) The worst is when you play three games in a row...
7) My first game was against Montreal in Tampa Bay. I didn’t do anything wrong, nothing happened during my first shift, but when I got back to the bench, everyone was patting me and saying, ‘’ Good Job! You made it! You didn’t do anything wrong.’’ I hadn’t realized it was my first time. That’s when I took a moment.
8) His one-timer. His slap shot.
9) At the same time, we know there’s a lot of work to do, and that’s fine. We’re playing well and we know we can play even better if we keep up.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
S.4 .05 24CH The Valet
Maxim Martin drives around Dominique Ducharme and Stephane Waite who tell us about the difficult of participating in the playoffs, and they reveal the secrets of a good pre match speech.
Maxime Martin said:
1) As a player or as coach, has it ever happened that for the entire season, you were on top of the league, the division, the conference, but you choked during the first round of the series?
2) We often tell players not to think of the next round or to take anything for granted. As a coach, do you sometimes fall into that trap?
3) What’s the worst time you saw someone blow a fuse in the NHL?
4) What’s the key to a good speech? At the same time, you’re also a conductor, because you know which buttons to press. You know the boys…
5) Nowadays, coaches need to be close to their players. You can’t be aloof. There’s less of a hierarchy, right?
6) I’m sure you both encountered a really talented young player you couldn’t seem to get through to. You try being a little tougher, a bit softer or philosophical. It must be frustrating for a coach to not know how to get through to him.
7) When you arrived in the locker room, Dom, you realized you were there, living the dream in the NHL… Was there a moment when you felt… I’m looking for a word… intimidated or shy? You had to take your place. And they didn’t really you…
8) You don’t talk the same way to professionals or junior players. I imagine you’re a bit freer. They’re men and it’s their job! You’re not the babysitter anymore. Even if you’re closed to them and you need to know what’s happening off the ice…
9) Last year, you lost someone like Carey Price for the season… How do you prepare guys who thought they were to be seconds all season become firsts?
10) It might be saying much, but you’re also responsible for Niemi’s success after your reunion!
11) Dom, big decision for you! You decided to take it to the next level this year… You’ve had offers before, due to your success in the juniors, you had nothing to prove anymore. Did you follow your instinct and thought it was the right time? Or did you know you were ready before? How does one know it’s the right moment?
Stephane Waite said:
1) It happened in Chicago for me. We had a big season, the year after we won the Stanley Cup in 2010. In 2011, they took us at the beginning. We had a good season, but it’s hard to win in the playoffs.
2) No. Not me, I never fall into this trap. I‘ve been in the field long enough… You can never think further than the next game, it’s a big mistake. I don’t think many coaches think that way.
3) There were a few. I’ve seen a few in Chicago. I remember my first year in Chicago with Brian Sutter. He lost it a couple of times and threw some sticks around the locker room. Brian was known for his calm! Those were intense. There was also Joel Quenneville in Chicago. He snapped a couple of times. Mike Therrien also. In the Junior League too – remember Joe Canale? It was done internally, in the locker room. I saw some memorable ones. We don’t talk about it…
4) Exactly. Scotty Bowman was one of our advisors in Chicago and we often had the chance to talk to him. He used to say to me that his best speeches were when they were up against weak teams, when he felt his players weren’t prepared. Against strong teams, he didn’t need to say much. If they’re not ready to face the strong teams, they’ll never be ready. He was worried about the weak teams. That’s when he gave his best speeches before a game. I was lucky. He often used to travel with us in Chicago and I had the chance to sit with him on the plane. It was great! He loves telling anecdotes. It was fun!
6) Some are tough to crack. But a good coach will find a way to get through to him. You need to know the personality of the players. And that’s your role as coach. As a goaltender coach, I need to be close to my goalies. I need to know what they’re thinking, how they’re doing off and on the ice. Are they tired? Do they have problems at home? Is something affecting them? To know that, so I need to be close to my goalies. The head coach has certain boundaries, he can’t get too close to the players. He’s the boss. It’s our job as assistant coaches to find out what’s on the players’ minds. There’s an important psychological aspect to it.
8) The conversations are not the same. We’re talking to men. I’m not saying they’re babies in the Juniors, but we still have a lot to teach them as coaches: off and on the ice, in the arena, in life. In the NHL, they’re men. It’s not the same; the conversations are different. It’s different when we coach professionals.
9) I never prepare a goalie to be second… When he plays, he’s the number one. When you’re number two like you said… Those guys need to work twice as hard as the number one goalie. Because they don’t play very often, they need to stay sharp. It’s my job to work them harder during practice. After the morning skate, we do a few extra drills. Being backup is a very hard during practice to stay sharp, and because you don’t play often, when you do play, you have to win… If you don’t win and you haven’t played for two weeks, you’ll spend three weeks without playing.
10) Last year, when we called him, I already knew him. He was on waiver twice. Al Montaya and Carey were hurt, so we told Marc we had nothing to lose with Antti. We worked with him in Chicago. I knew he was a serious athlete, that he worked hard and stays in shape. I knew what I wanted to get out of him. When Antti arrived, he immediately got on board and it clicked right away, just like it did for us in Chicago. It’s a good start when you had success with a player. We have quite a backup with Niemi. The backup makes a difference in getting us to the playoffs or not. If the backup is good plays at least for .500, you have a good chance to make the playoffs. If he doesn’t, you have no chance of making the playoffs…
Dominique Ducharme said:
1) We’ve never been unpleasantly surprised, but we have caused surprise. But on the other hand, we notice the parity in the NHL each year. Some teams surprise us during the first round of the series. Sometimes, it’s one against eight, and eight makes it. It’s already the first round, we can sometimes be surprised. Anything can happen.
4) You need to have an objective. I’ll give you a simple example. If you say: tonight, we want to win or we have to win… it doesn’t mean anything. How are we going to do that? What’s our identity as a team? How do we react? What makes us successful as individuals and collectively? It needs to be in the speech. The players need to recognize themselves and find solutions in what you give them. The seasons are long, so you can’t be too repetitive or say things in the same way. You also need to choose your moments. Sometimes you need to get tough, and sometimes you need to cut them some slack. You have to feel your team.
5) You need to know your players. When you know them, you find a way to communicate with them. You need to be closer to some and tougher on others. They’re all different. The main thing is to get to know them. Once you do that, you can find a way to make each of them function.
6) You can’t win them all…
7) It’s the same at every level. When I got to Halifax, the players needed to learn my way of doing things and what was aiming for. I never played in the NHL, so as an assistant, I wanted to see how it would go with the players, but I felt good when I arrived. I knew some of the players. We started talking hockey right away. The game stays the same. It’s not so different. We say more or less the same thing, but to players who are faster, better or more talented, older and who have different lives outside of the rink. But I found my place easily.
8) And also, when you’re coaching juniors, you need to consider things like school and other aspects that make up their daily routines. But now, we talk about hockey…
11) There’s not a precise moment when you know you’re ready. We always think we’re ready for the next level… It’s normal; when you’re in the world of hockey and you enjoy being challenged, you’re always looking for new challenges. After my two years as head coach for the Canadian National Junior team, I felt that I had done everything I could in the Juniors. I enjoyed those experiences; they helped me grow as a coach. I felt that I was ready to make the move. I had discussions with the Canadiens. For me, it’s one thing to work in the NHL, it’s another to start with the Canadiens. It’s even more special.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
S.4 E.06 – 24CH The Valet
Maxim Martin drives around Dominique Ducharme and Stephane Waite who talk about the impact of the arrival of new players on the team and their jobs as assistant coaches.
Maxim Martin said:
1) I think we all agree the atmosphere is already completely different than last year’s…
2) That has to come from the players, not just the coaches…
3) Among the newly arrived players, which one... I don’t want to say ‘’impressed’’ you, but sometimes you have a preconceived notion, good or bad, where you imagined someone a certain way… Which new player surprised you, personality-wise?
4) Guys like Tatar… When a fan sees a trade, he looks at the stats, but we really underestimate what someone can bring to the locker room…
5) About Kotkaniemi; was it really a last-minute decision or did you have a good feeling from the get-go?
6) Have you met any professional athletes, in hockey or elsewhere, who you find intimidating and who make you feel a little tongue-tied?
7) Nowadays, we have our youths play hockey 12 months a year, and I’m not sure that’s a good think. Do you agree?
8) As a coach, what’s the biggest change you noticed in young people the past few years? I feel like they have such different baggage, and we know social media isn’t helping…
9) When we were kids, our generation was always outside… I feel like now, we have to fight to get them outside and of their game consoles, so I wonder that incredible development? It’s almost like it’s genetic…
10) Are they more mature than the youths of before or is a kid always a kid?
11) What’s a coach’s impact during the game? Obviously, you meet with Claude beforehand, the game plan is decided, decisions are made… But during a game, do you often consult with each other? Or the head coach knows where he’s going and unless he asks a question…
Stephane Waite said:
1) I don’t think the guys took training camp for granted. The difference is night and day in terms of mood, attitude, everything. Attitude had been discussed a lot in the papers and by management, but it wasn’t just talk, there was a real problem and I think the players realized it. There’s a great atmosphere. The new recruits are well integrated. Honestly, it’s one the best atmospheres I’ve seen in Montreal since I’ve been here the past six years… It’s a great gang and I love the mood of the team so far.
2) It has to come from both. The coaches ant the players have their share, the management as well. It’s a group effort. It’s off to a good start. It’s fun.
3) I was talking with John Torchetti, who’s been assistant coach in Detroit for the pas two years, and he was saying that he’s never seen Tatar in a bad mood, not a single day… So that’s a nice surprise. It’s good for the general mood. Young guys like Kotkaniemi, who’s always smiling, are refreshing to have around. There’s Armia, whom we didn’t know when he got here, but who is doing a great job. He’s a good guy. It’s fun to add good guys like that.
4) People often say:’’ you don’t win in the locker room’, but sometimes you can lose a game in the locker room. You get couple of guys with a bad attitude or who sulk between periods and it affects everyone.
6) In my case, a few years ago, I met Jack Nicklaus here in Montreal. He came to the Bell Centre and we had the chance to talk to him before the game. He gave a short speech in the locker room and it was impressive. Jack Nicklaus is somebody who I found impressive, and who still is. He said something that could seem trivial: as a professional athlete, there’s one thing you can control and you have no excuse not do: being prepared, as a professional athlete in any sport… He said: ‘’When I was playing tournaments, I had no excuse for not being prepared – it was my responsibility and that’s what it means to be a pro’’. I like that quote and wrote it down. I refer to it regularly with my goalies who have no excuse not being ready for any of all games.
7) I spent my life playing baseball and it was always my favorite sport, but it develops other abilities. I say that to my young goalies at my hockey school in summer. I’ve had a goalie school for the past 30 years…My first year was in ’88. I often tell young goalies and their parents to do something else in the summer: go play soccer, baseball or lacrosse... Do something else to develop other athletic abilities, because it’s really important. Also, if they play hockey 12 months a year, the kids aren’t excited or hungry to come back to hockey… That’s another good reason to branch out. When September rolls around, they’re excited to get back to hockey because they haven’t played in 3, 4 or 5 months.
8) It helps or it doesn’t, there are pros and cons to it. For my goalies, I see young guys who have amazing technique; they’re so technically advanced compared to before. There are good coaches out there. The Internet helped in that you can see and learn so much on your own. With the Internet, you can see what they’re doing in Finland, in Russia, everywhere. Hockey has no more secrets, so young guys are now technically excellent. They’re physically stronger than before, they’re bigger and in better shape they eat better. It’s incredible. Even when I started in the National League 16 years ago… The difference is night and day with players who are better in every sense.
Dominique Ducharme said:
3) I would say Tatar… He brings a lot of energy to the group. He always comes to the rink in a good mood. He’s competitive on the ice. I’ve seen him play in Detroit and a little in Vegas. After getting to know him, he’s someone that brings a lot of energy to our group.
4) He’s a player who – we can see it in his pre-season and first two games – will contribute to the offence. He’s not just a guy ho gets to the rink in a good mood; he brings his game to the ice. All together, these make great additions to the team.
5) From my point of view on the inside, it came gradually. He stepped up and earned it. We saw his progression every day, from practice to practice and from game to game. You never know how a young player like that will react at a new, higher level… But, I think he may not really grasp the scale on the market yet. He feels the love and the support of the people behind him, but with the way he evolved each and every day, he took a decision for us.
7) I played baseball until I was 20. I played in Joliette, it was the equivalent of junior… At that time, Junior Elite was in Repentigny. They invited me to camp every year, but I was focusing on hockey. I just wanted to have fun playing with my friends… It was something equivalent to Junior AAA in hockey or something. You can develop other physical skills, but the mental aspect is also really important. In the Major Junior League, we’d often see kids that were 16 or 17 and you could already tell they wouldn’t make it because their love of the game was gone or used up for playing too much. We’ve seen quite a few, not just one case in seven years of juniors. It happened often.
8) Speed of the game… It’s difficult to measure in terms of percentage, but it really is much faster than it was. If you look back just 5 or 7 years, you’ll notice a huge difference.
9) No there’s a question of structure. We would play outside and do our own thing. We organized everything ourselves. We evolved that way. Now, they’re more supervised. They have a skills coach, a skating coach and a coach to get them in shape. It’s more specialized and precise now.
10) A kid is always a kid. The may be more aware because of social media and everything going on around them, but if you sit down with them, one on one, it’s still a kid… Society has changed, but you can have good conversations one on one. I don’t think it’s really all that different.
11) We communicate a lot on the bench. Claude speaks with Kirk or me or Luke. We discuss and give our take on what’s happening on the ice. Stephane sees things from another perspective and brings his arguments. As a coach, it’s important to have a feel for your team; who’s having a good day, who’s not doing so well…

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
S.4 E.07 – 24CH The Valet
Maxim Martin drives around Max Domi and Tomas Tatar who tell us about their start with the Canadiens and the atmosphere within the team
Maxim Martin said:
1) Last year was different for both of you. And then you off to a hot start. It’s just a reset to the mind actually when it happens? You know what it shows on and off the ice…

2) When you are struggling on the ice at one point do you become your worst enemy?

3) Detroit is known as Hockey Town USA. It’s pretty crazy? And that’s amazing being drafted by your favorite team?

4) Max you were a Leafs fan. You are really a hockey fan because you suffered for a long time…

5) You can’t convince me that it’s fun to show up in the Coyotes hockey rink?

6) You guys much came to the city at the same time. When did you really felt comfortable to be a part of the group? It’s like going to a new school… Isn’t it?

7) Plus, we all know about the struggles of the Canadiens last year. So when they are new bloods you are almost like some kind of relief. Something to get the chemistry going right…

8) Who was your low point that you learnt in your career? What was the moment you remember like going: okay this sucks I go to get myself out of this funk… When you got the biggest life lesson of it?

9) What was your welcome to the NHL moment?

10) You go from Slovakia, you get drafted in the early round and then boom Grand Rapids Michigan… That was fun?
Max Domi said:
1) We both came from teams that were struggling last year as a whole... Obviously, he got traded at the deadline which was nice for him. But for me, we were struggling and it’s tough when you are struggling as a group because it’s a sports team. When teams struggle, individuals struggle too… Now that we are here, it’s a fresh start for everyone in a close group and having fun. To show up in the rink, put your smile in your face and enjoying being there, it’s a pretty dangerous recipe. No doubt.

4) I don’t know… I mean I was a Leafs fan because my dad played for the Leafs and I was growing in Toronto. As soon as a I get drafted it kinda dissipated pretty quickly. I played in Arizona and it was a great place to live.

5) You know what it’s different because you are relying on the group. Our coaching staff was good and then our training staff, all my teammates from the time I got there were incredible. So I got nothing but good things to say about Arizona.

7) We weren’t part of the team of the team last year and I’m sure that the guys who were there didn’t want to talk about last year. We’re looking forward and that’s the best way to live. You can’t win every year right? You got through ups and downs. Months can change so that’s why got to enjoy every moment. That’s how things work. Because you don’t know what can happen the next days. Take the tough mentality and enjoying the process. At some times, it’s fun to go through tough times too… You know you will get through it. Overall, we are in a good spot, we have just to keep it going…

8) Winning been kinda like the way I was raised. My old man was in the NHL in a long time. Played 1000 games, 16 years. His job was pretty impressive. So I kinda have a long way to catch him, but hopefully one day. Honestly, he was the kind of dad it was nice to have. Taught me a lot when I was a kid. A lot of parents they are when screw up like: “Ah, it’s okay…” In my circumstances, if I have scored two or three goals in minor’s hockey and I threw the puck over and I took a penalty… My dad would not mention the goals, he will like: “You can’t take that penalty that’s selfish… Turnovers aren’t a way to win games… ” When you got that type of stuffs at seven - eight years you are treated like a pro. He installed that to me as a child. That’s the approach that I was raised under and it translated a lot. That’s one thing I want to thank my dad as much as it sucks to going through it, but it taught me a lot…
Tomas Tatar said:
1) That’s for sure, you just want to have fun too. You don’t want to come into the rink miserable. It’s kinda nice to be here and got a good feeling in the camp too. It’s a close group and the guys get easy on me. We have a bless so far.

2) You start to think for sure. I mean every guy can tell you when things not going in the right way you just start to think too much… That’s why the best players don’t think too much I guess.

3) It is… People love hockey that’s for sure. They had many great years. When I was drafted we had a pretty strong dynasty going… That’s the main reason growing up Detroit was strong. We didn’t get to see that many highlights from the NHL and they were showing Detroit a lot. That’s why they became my favorite at that time. It was fun to be drafted by them and they gave me the chance to play. They will always be at a special place in my heart.

6) I knew a few guys just playing few years against them. It’s a new group. It’s something you need to experience. It’s hard to describe. You are coming like a new guy. Like I said the groups were I have been were always great. Even the group in Vegas. It makes a lot easier on you and enjoyed it way more. I feel we became very close so it’s a lot fun to have somebody dinner with… I think the group were really tight. It’s just awesome to be in the rink and smile. You don’t have to worry and just be ourselves.

8) My biggest moment when we didn’t make the playoffs for the 1st time in Detroit in a long time... That’s why I really enjoy when we are winning. Winning is fun. When you are winning, individuals are doing well. Everything is just working. Everybody smiling. Even the guys who don't have the best night are still happy. When losing it doesn’t matter who score, it’s a different atmosphere. I am learning it through out my career you just want to do everything to win games. It’s just a good feeling, it’s priceless…

9) I had a huge moment. I don’t think I have been raised that way like I missed a few years in the National Team when I was young. I never made it under 16 – 17. I made it under 18 and I got the chance to play in the 1st line. We actually finished 4th. Johnny Tavares were ahead of me. It was a great tournament. I went from maybe being undrafted or drafted late to being drafted between the 1st round and the 3rd round… It was pretty jump for me. Then when I came at the camp to Detroit I signed the contract after. I didn’t speak English as much it was hard for me. It takes the responsibility on me. I learned in school, but I definitively learned more to be prepared. Unfortunately, I didn’t… It took a while, a year to get used to. I remember coaches were explained to me and I did right, they were clapping… It was a good experience.

10) It was. I was kinda used to live on my own. I played in the highest league back home with the men. It’s not a bad city I loved that. It’s really clean. I have only great memories. We actually won the Calder Cup. Honestly, I wouldn’t mind to live there. I would say Grand Rapids is one the nicest city, I was lucky...

Reactions: Fenris

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
S.4 E.08 – 24CH The Valet

Maxim Martin continues with Max Domi and Tomas Tatar who tell us about their participation in the World Junior Hockey Championship, the diabetes, etc...
Maxim Martin said:
1) You have both a chance to play the World Junior Hockey Championship… What did that bring to your career? It’s a boost of confidence isn’t it? I mean you came back changed as hockey player!

2) I was under to bring it up you fight with Ekblad in the training camp and saying he is waiting for you at Florida… That’s still part of the game right? It’s a good thing that fighting is going down but you got to feel that guys are going to lunch after every game…

3) We gonna talk about your dog man! That’s amazing not kidding! Is he five years old right? What about the road thought?

4) Your most embarrassing moments on the ice?

5) I owe you a thank you (Max Domi) because I had a pedicure once in my life with your buddy Michael McCarron who’s sending guides from you…

6) What did you guys envy from each others game? If you take one thing from the other game what it would be?
Tomas Tatar said:
1) We are a small country but hockey is little more in downhill. We used to maybe closest to 60 NHL players… Now we have maybe I don’t know eight! It kinda went down. It’s a long topic. I would say maybe hockey is or it was on my age pretty expensive. I don’t think it was the right support from the government .Everything cost money. Amazing, to me it was the first experience with North-American Hockey. Just to get to see those rinks. The atmosphere… I mean the atmosphere back home was pretty solid. European fans are little bit different.

4) My biggest one probably from last year. They just open the new arena in Detroit, Little Ceasars. In my first day so excited to try the ice. I felt that it will be a good day. I just put the skates on and took my gloves trying to step on the ice but I forget to take off my skate guards… Workers laughing, they were just finishing the arena. Because they were still finishing touches. So they were just laughing. I was so mad I hit my head too pretty hard... I am actually I like stuffs like this when happening to the guys. Pretty sarcastic stuffs like this. I actually asked for the videos from the security camera. I end it up posting that video too.

6) I would take his skating… He is just going. We were just actually talking about it today in the sauna. I’m gonna find the recipe, he was willing to share.
Max Domi said:
1) I think from a Canadian perspective it’s a little bit different. We grow up like Christmas time it’s Christmas… But Boxing Day that’s the World Juniors… I remember watching John Tavares goals he scored, Jordan Eberle goals, Jonathan Toews and Carey Price in the shootout… Stuffs like will be always be in my mind as a kid growing up. It’s almost bigger than the NHL in my perspective. The way that I grew up loving watching that stuff. To me the NHL is a dream that you always have in the time you are born I guess. To play in the World Juniors is like the other dream you have. I always wanted to play for Team Canada and representing that jersey - wear that thing. And have a full crowd cheering for you. Again I was lucky to make the team and I was at Toronto in Montreal two of the biggest markets of hockey in the world. And we won. Our team was I mean full of some pretty elite talents. I mean you see guy like Connor McDavid, Darnell Nurse, Brayden Point, Anthony Duclair… We were a group that we actually never down by a goal in the entire tournament and we were having fun the entire time. Like from the training camp until the time we won, we enjoyed with no pressure.

2)No I mean he is a good buddy of mine but I obviously wanted that to happen. It was my first game at the Bell Center wearing that jersey and I made a mistake… I felt bad obviously and I was happy he is okay. I understand that comes with consequences whether it’s suspensions or the clashes on social media. Or whatever that maybe him being upset. You got to respect all those aspects. So that’s also a part of the game. It’s what it’s you learn from that mistakes.

3) He’s pretty incredible yeah. He is five years old now. His name is Orion. As much as it’s amazing I mean he is the beautiful dog. He is great. He is the happiest. He is like a human. The coolest part about him he is a service dog. Mainly helping me at night times when I am sleeping. Honestly for the most part most of those kinds of dogs are actually supposed to be sleeping off the bed. But he is working better when he is with me. It’s amazing because he is trained to detect my blood pressure (high or low) through out my saliva. It all based off sense. I guess I don’t know the whole sciences details but your blood pressure is low or high it give off a different sense. He is so familiar with it that he smells and be like: "Oh something wrong I have to warn him!" Trained when he was a puppy to 2 years old. Obeisance but the smell work is his main force. They collect saliva samples of my mouth when I am higher or l lower or high and sent them over. He grew up in California. He is a beach boy. They hided samples over the house as a Labrador he is a retriever right? He retrieved many things and got rewarded for. He is working to get reward like any dogs does. But he is smarter than me… He is a smart cookie and even better than that he hangout with me every day no matter what going in your life. Everyone who has a dog can relate to it… To have a dog to come back no matter what’s going on. You losing, you are upset about something or whatever happens you see that dog and it get you instantly in a good mood. In top of that, when my blood trigger putting me in a dangerous situation he is here at my back too… The good thing about that when he is wake me up it’s up to the point were I am still good to treat the low. So it’s not like he is waiting until dangers… I wish I could bring him on the road but I don’t think it will be totally fair to him it’s just a lot… I don’t necessary need the dog it’s just an extra thing on my tool to make sure I am good. I want to make that point clear it’s not because you’re a type 1 you need to have a dog. So I don’t need him and a dog is not necessary at all. I just take little extra precautions on the road and make sure I am good to go. But it definitively helps for sure…

5) Oh yeah! Manicures and pedicures I mean again I will circle back to my diabetes because there is originally where it got me into it… It’s always good to promote blood float to your fingers and your toes. That’s the scientific side of it. The other side it feels good. It’s nice to feel clean. On top of that I always grew up in a house with a mom and two sisters. Dad I mean everyone think he is rough he is the one kinda put in the map for me. He is like the kind of guy washing his hands a million time in the day. He likes to be clean all the time. But I get definitely that from him…

6) His hands are sick and he got a good hockey IQ. He is a great player. Obviously a humble guy but he is a big part of our team. I will take every aspects of his game…

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
giphy.gif

Reactions: The90Tomas and the

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad