HF Habs: 24 Together: 25th Year Anniversary of Habs '93 Cup (May 28th on Sportsnet)

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Cool. Should be great for those here who weren't yet born or too young (30+ now) to remember that great Habs playoff run and last cup win. I remember that playoffs like it was yesterday. Winning 10 straight OT playoff games in one playoff run was beyond insane. It got to a point when the game got to OT you just knew the Habs were gonna win the game.

Bob Cole's "Desjardins" after he scored the game 2 finals OT goal still gives me goosebumps when I hear it. And who can ever forget John LeClair and his 2 finals OT goals. Good times. Damn good times.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Montreal may loves its history, but many fans will never quite understand the work Pollock did. It's has come full circle. Montreal has the perfect antithesis to Pollock at the helm of the team now. Other teams raid Montreal of its cupboard dry. We're not anticipating who's the next losing team and trading vets to secure that team's pick. We're the ones reeling in lottery picks of our own accord.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Poile needed 19 years to reach the SCF once, we can wait that much
I am confident in saying that Bergevin could be here for 30 years and we will never reach the promised land. I never understood the comparison of Poile with Bergevin, is it because Poile fleeced us with the Subban trade and Subbans haters need something to throw out there?

Reactions: ArtPeur

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Montreal may loves its history, but many fans will never quite understand the work Pollock did. It's has come full circle. Montreal has the perfect antithesis to Pollock at the helm of the team now. Other teams raid Montreal of its cupboard dry. We're not anticipating who's the next losing team and trading vets to secure that team's pick. We're the ones reeling in lottery picks of our own accord.
Bergevin is the anti-Pollock...so true.

Poor old Sam, is rolling around in his grave...sad state we are in guys. Over the years, we have gone from first to worst, in the GM category.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I am confident in saying that Bergevin could be here for 30 years and we will never reach the promised land. I never understood the comparison of Poile with Bergevin, is it because Poile fleeced us with the Subban trade and Subbans haters need something to throw out there?

Nah I believe it comes from the Bergevin defenders. Many people thought Poile was great for building up his team in the last few years but then the bargainbin defenders are bringing up the "19 years before reaching the SCF, Bergevin is only on his 6th year.. so we have to be patient". I'm pretty sure I saw someone say that last Summer.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Cool. Should be great for those here who weren't yet born or too young (30+ now) to remember that great Habs playoff run and last cup win. I remember that playoffs like it was yesterday. Winning 10 straight OT playoff games in one playoff run was beyond insane. It got to a point when the game got to OT you just knew the Habs were gonna win the game.

Bob Cole's "Desjardins" after he scored the game 2 finals OT goal still gives me goosebumps when I hear it. And who can ever forget John LeClair and his 2 finals OT goals. Good times. Damn good times.

Cole was amazing. That Desjardins call was awesome. So was his calling during the last minute of G5 - the Stanley Cup winning game. He was the best in his prime.

I watched ever single moment of that playoff run. It was amazing.

Damphousse, Muller, Bellows, Carbonneau, Keane, a very young LeClair, Roy, Schneider, Desjardins (who was incredible in that playoff run - came of age), Brisebois.

Oh & Benoit Brunet was actually healthy & played fantastic. Gave us terrific scoring depth on the bottom 6, along with DiPietro. Brunet was a good player. He just couldn't stay healthy.

Carbonneau shut everyone down.

It was a better team than people give it credit for. Same with the '86 team.

The '93 team was small, but fast & could score. The D could skate & move the puck.

The '86 team was the biggest in the NHL with one of the best D's ever. But it also had a lot of scoring depth. Tough, tough team to play against.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I remember us going into Quebec city down 2-0 and the seeds of doubt were very strong, when that team tied the series 2-2 they became a team, a real team and it seemed like the hockey Gods would not turn their favourable eyes from that edition of Le Bleu Blanc et rouge! I lived and died with that team, Bob Cole yelling "Desjardins" was burned into my heart and memory and still to this day when I rewatch the clips I get goosebumps when I hear this.

I started watching the habs in the late 70s with my father but it felt like the 92-93 team were my habs, my chance to be a young man watching guys around my age win the cup, I look forward to watching this.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
This team gets underrated. It's legacy is some sort of cinderella team with alot of overtime wins, but the fact is that they finished 6th overall in the league, 2 points away from 4th overall. The team had 102 points in an era of no loser points.

All this despite Patrick Roy not having a good year. If that team could muster a good season without Roy at his best, it shouldn't be a surprise that they can have a great playoff when Roy is at his best.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
This team gets underrated. It's legacy is some sort of cinderella team with alot of overtime wins, but the fact is that they finished 6th overall in the league, 2 points away from 4th overall. The team had 102 points in an era of no loser points.

All this despite Patrick Roy not having a good year. If that team could muster a good season without Roy at his best, it shouldn't be a surprise that they can have a great playoff when Roy is at his best.
All we really need is to make the playoffs then like bergy said

A N Y T H I N G
C O U L D
H A P P E N

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
I remember watching those playoffs. The team was actually quite good. Damphouse, Lebeau, Bellows, and Muller all had 80+ points. The defense was fairly good with Schneider, Desjardins, and Haller, Odelein, Briesbois, and Daignault playing good minutes on a regular basis. There was also some grit in Keane, Carbonneau, and Skrudland. The x-factor was the play of the unsung heroes: DiPietro; Dionne; Leclair, Brunet, and Ronan. It was a well built team from top to bottom.

I was 10 when they won. Little did I know that would be the only time in my life I would see that. Now, I have to watch a wretched team play. One that is a mockery to the past.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I remember us going into Quebec city down 2-0 and the seeds of doubt were very strong, when that team tied the series 2-2 they became a team, a real team and it seemed like the hockey Gods would not turn their favourable eyes from that edition of Le Bleu Blanc et rouge! I lived and died with that team, Bob Cole yelling "Desjardins" was burned into my heart and memory and still to this day when I rewatch the clips I get goosebumps when I hear this.

I started watching the habs in the late 70s with my father but it felt like the 92-93 team were my habs, my chance to be a young man watching guys around my age win the cup, I look forward to watching this.

I hated the Nords with a passion. Seeing us down 2 and coming back to knock them out was a ride.

And no, that was.no fluke team. It was a good squad that had its best player rise to the occasion.

As the OT wins racked up I kept thinking this just can't keep going our way, it's impossible, but just this one tonight. Lol.

I mean think about it. Get Vegas or the Capitals to play the Sabres or Yotes in a sudden death goal wins basis and I doubt there is any chance they could do it 10 times in a row. Just insane.

The LA games about killed me sleep wise. Lol.

Was so much fun.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad