Pre-Game Talk: 24 Team Playoffs discussion

Who do you want to face in the first round of the playoffs?

• Total voters

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Has it been mentioned if these games will be on NHL.tv/Center Ice or how the they will be televised in general?

Wait... they might not be on centre ice?

upload_2020-7-7_18-23-40.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

How am I going to break it to my wife that I'll have hockey on 24/7 for damn near two months? Thank god I work from home.

What's the ice gonna be like in the summer playing three games a day on the same ice surface? That third game might be pretty sloppy.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
What's the ice gonna be like in the summer playing three games a day on the same ice surface? That third game might be pretty sloppy.

I want to say they’ll make it work because they’re going to have some of the best people working on it and Edmonton in particular always has great ice but who knows since this is unprecedented.

If it is poor conditions during the exhibition/play-in games, that’s going to be unfortunate for the teams that weren’t good enough to get the top seeds. :DD

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I want to say they’ll make it work because they’re going to have some of the best people working on it and Edmonton in particular always has great ice but who knows since this is unprecedented.

If it is poor conditions during the exhibition/play-in games, that’s going to be unfortunate for the teams that weren’t good enough to get the top seeds. :DD

Yeah the ice crew does wonders with the outdoor games and Edmonton always has good ice, but neither have been tested during the summer.

A lot of compounding factors, especially playing three games on the same day. I wonder if the ice crew will be limited due to the COVID restrictions too. Curious how it'll play out.

If the ice is bad I don't know if the Avs will benefit more than other teams though. They score a lot of pretty goals and make plays off the rush, which will be harder to do with bad ice.

MonsterMack

He did the Mack, He did the monster Mack
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2013
Arvada, CO
Possibly a very dumb question, but does the ambient heat from thousands of fans affect the ice surface?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Possibly a very dumb question, but does the ambient heat from thousands of fans affect the ice surface?

That's a good point. It has to. Maybe the lack of fans will offset some of the factors hurting the ice.

At the very least it will be easier to cool the building during the summer, which will help the ice surface stay frozen.

Reactions: McMetal

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That's a good point. It has to. Maybe the lack of fans will offset some of the factors hurting the ice.

At the very least it will be easier to cool the building during the summer, which will help the ice surface stay frozen.

Yeah they'll have to keep the temperature in the buildings very, very low.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah the ice crew does wonders with the outdoor games and Edmonton always has good ice, but neither have been tested during the summer.

A lot of compounding factors, especially playing three games on the same day. I wonder if the ice crew will be limited due to the COVID restrictions too. Curious how it'll play out.

If the ice is bad I don't know if the Avs will benefit more than other teams though. They score a lot of pretty goals and make plays off the rush, which will be harder to do with bad ice.

The way I took McKenzie’s comments was that this will be the schedule while there are 24 teams. If that’s the case then the Avs won’t be playing actual playoff games during that time.

He also mentioned that the top seeds playing for playoff seeding would be in the 4pm window because they’re using regular season OT rules. That way the NHL knows the games during that window won’t go long like the other games with possible multiple OTs.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The way I took McKenzie’s comments was that this will be the schedule while there are 24 teams. If that’s the case then the Avs won’t be playing actual playoff games during that time.

He also mentioned that the top seeds playing for playoff seeding would be in the 4pm window because they’re using regular season OT rules. That way the NHL knows the games during that window won’t go long like the other games with possible multiple OTs.

Ah ok. Admittedly during this pandemic I've been keeping up with hockey thanks to bite sized pieces online like that tweet and haven't been taking the time to look into them further.

There's just too much to keep up with right now in hockey let alone life.

Normally I think this is a very dangerous way to take in information but fortunately it's just hockey. :laugh:

Reactions: Avs_19

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Has it been mentioned if these games will be on NHL.tv/Center Ice or how the they will be televised in general?

Can't imagine they won't be. We paid and we are owed.

I don't know about Center Ice but I've had NHL.TV since it came out and they never show playoff games. Playoff TV rights are owned by the major networks and can't be played on NHL.TV until after 48 hours.

If you have the cash just sign up for AT&T TV, monthly subscription cancel anytime. Pay for two months and quit. It has a DVR feature so you can record any games you can't make.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I don't know about Center Ice but I've had NHL.TV since it came out and they never show playoff games. Playoff TV rights are owned by the major networks and can't be played on NHL.TV until after 48 hours.

If you have the cash just sign up for AT&T TV, monthly subscription cancel anytime. Pay for two months and quit. It has a DVR feature so you can record any games you can't make.

NHL Live (available on Apple TV or similar devices) has the playoffs.

Last edited:

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
Absolutely, more so from a humidity standpoint. Thousands of people breathing with concourse doors opening and closing adds a ton of humidity which is the real enemy of ice. Tiny droplets can form on the ice and freeze causing little bumps throughout the ice.

Source: I'm a refrigeration mechanic (even though I don't specifically work on ice rinks). ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->