24 Hours after the Miracle on HNIC, I think it was the best thing to happen

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
A great Canadian sports story , can't wait for the movie .
Definitely sire and even better than loveguru. Realism is the key here. Also uh, like the other guy said, we deserved this one and the storm was coming. Sometimes and always in fact the God does these thangs and change is inevitable. We had ours coming. We that soft, tender and mellow. Brats and dolls. Thank you Dubas, now is your time.

Other will be jelious still and they laughing at us (for a reason this time), but remember what president Nixon said: "Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
Definitely sire and even better than loveguru. Realism is the key here. Also uh, like the other guy said, we deserved this one and the storm was coming. Sometimes and always in fact the God does these thangs and change is inevitable. We had ours coming. We that soft, tender and mellow. Brats and dolls. Thank you Dubas, now is your time.

Other will be jelious still and they laughing at us (for a reason this time), but remember what president Nixon said: "Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself."
Elite President Nixon quote:laugh:

Reactions: OddyOh

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The entire core needs to be revisited.

Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander lacks an elite PF like Tkachuk to play on that top line. Move Nylander out.
Two top D. If Muzzin is being extended, then trade Rielly + for a RHD.
Sandin + vet can fill out the 3/4 slots. Holl + vet can fill out the bottom pairings.
Sign a 1B goaltender and run with Campbell. Trade Andersen.

With Rielly, Nylander and Andersen as trade pieces I'm sure Dubas can come up with something even if it means trading for near ready prospects.

Reactions: geo25, Al14 and MJK

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
all of this should have happened after losing games 6 and 7 to the Bruins last year.
I would have wanted it that way as well, but I think we need to stop looking at team or individual progress as linear.
Its not realistic to think a guy will just get a bit better and wiser every year until he hits 30, and then he will gradually decline.
Some guys take massive leaps forward (Nathan Mac) some guys regress for a year and rebound (Ovie) and some guys just never seem to truly age (Sid).

The problem when it comes to 'heart' or 'drive' or whatever version of that we use is that we want to see it evolve the same way. We want the hockey players or sports team we all rely on so much to do something bad, or loose a series and instantly learn from it. I think its partially the fault of everyone who grew up hearing Gretzky talk about their loss to the Islanders, that they saw how hard they tried and just 'got it'.

The reality of the situation is most people, rich or poor need more than one instance of something going right or wrong to learn from it. Its not realistic to think that every time someone gets a speeding ticket, or fails a test they learned to change their behavior. Anyone who has gone through their own real world hardships knows it usually takes time (more than it should tbh) to have an honest reflection and deal with the problem.

Part of it, IMO, is having something or someone else to blame. Loosing to Boston? As a player, you can look how close you were and blame it on Kadri, or say that Boston almost won the cup so maybe change isnt needed.

My hope is that this is the year where there arent any excuses, where when things go wrong the players start to realize there is no one to blame or push the problem onto. Its the players mindsets and work ethic and consistency that needs to change. The Leafs have all the skill necessary to win, its developing that next 'instinct' that we can only hope will happen sooner rather than later.

I guess my question is, if the Leafs need to fail this season, need to fall flat and miss the playoffs and feel a bit of embarrassment or shame to realize their true potential and improve, is that a bad thing? Of course we all want the Leafs to become a dynasty and win every cup every year, but if this kind of adversity leads them to getting to that next step, COUNT ME IN!

Reactions: Rogie and MJK

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Honestly I think it’s the worst thing. It was a complete no win scenario.

1.) injure both goalies. Have your own employee in the net and win. Now you have a huge issue in terms of points and standings etc.

2.) injure both goalies. Have your own employee in net and lose. Now you have a massive embarrassment.

Problem is now that the plot is lost. It’s “we got beat by a zamboni driver” much of the team wasn’t trying. I’m sure some are fighting about why they didn’t just try to win.....

But the big issue is regardless of the end. They were outplayed and didn’t play D Again. It’s a Monster issue. The leafs didn’t compete. Didn’t deserve to be in the game.

Reactions: Habz4Evr

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Maybe the Maple Leafs would have been better off with Babcock and Lou after all | The Star

Dubas got the coach he wanted, playing the style he wants his team to play. But now the missing elements that made it difficult for Babcock to have more success are showing up under Keefe.

Perhaps there are reasons we aren’t aware of that compelled Dubas to relieve Babcock. But it was always going to come around again to this group, as it is currently designed, not being able or willing to consistently play a style of hockey that requires diligence, not flair, and an understanding of crucial details that separate contenders from the rest.

So that’s where the Leafs are now. With the NHL’s second-best offence and 27th-best defence. With five regulation wins in the last 20 games.

Too many local observers and commentators talk about how talented this team is, as if we live in a hockey universe where because Auston Matthews has more goals than Sidney Crosby and is making a lot more money than Crosby, he’s the better player. Too few seem interested in calculating the value of experience, consistent effort and ability at both ends of the ice when it comes to assessing the overall potential of the Leafs.

One night Kasperi Kapanen looks like he gets it, the next night he doesn’t. And there are lots of Kapanens on this team, players with tools but still learning how to use them.

The Leafs are just too green everywhere, even more so with Morgan Rielly missing due to injury. Their captain, John Tavares, may be 29 years old, but he has no experience winning in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

This is not a team playing below its capability. It’s a team with average goaltending, a lopsided payroll and a lot of individuals in key positions of responsibility still learning the painful, necessary lessons of what it takes to really win in the world’s top league. That includes the sophomore GM and the freshman head coach.

Barring a truly surprising playoff charge — if Toronto makes it — The Team That Dubas Built is still a team of the future, not the present.

Whether this is the way it had to be is the question. Messrs. Lamoriello and Babcock might have some thoughts on that.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe the Maple Leafs would have been better off with Babcock and Lou after all | The Star

Dubas got the coach he wanted, playing the style he wants his team to play. But now the missing elements that made it difficult for Babcock to have more success are showing up under Keefe.

Perhaps there are reasons we aren’t aware of that compelled Dubas to relieve Babcock. But it was always going to come around again to this group, as it is currently designed, not being able or willing to consistently play a style of hockey that requires diligence, not flair, and an understanding of crucial details that separate contenders from the rest.

So that’s where the Leafs are now. With the NHL’s second-best offence and 27th-best defence. With five regulation wins in the last 20 games.

Too many local observers and commentators talk about how talented this team is, as if we live in a hockey universe where because Auston Matthews has more goals than Sidney Crosby and is making a lot more money than Crosby, he’s the better player. Too few seem interested in calculating the value of experience, consistent effort and ability at both ends of the ice when it comes to assessing the overall potential of the Leafs.

One night Kasperi Kapanen looks like he gets it, the next night he doesn’t. And there are lots of Kapanens on this team, players with tools but still learning how to use them.

The Leafs are just too green everywhere, even more so with Morgan Rielly missing due to injury. Their captain, John Tavares, may be 29 years old, but he has no experience winning in the Stanley Cup playoffs.

This is not a team playing below its capability. It’s a team with average goaltending, a lopsided payroll and a lot of individuals in key positions of responsibility still learning the painful, necessary lessons of what it takes to really win in the world’s top league. That includes the sophomore GM and the freshman head coach.

Barring a truly surprising playoff charge — if Toronto makes it — The Team That Dubas Built is still a team of the future, not the present.

Whether this is the way it had to be is the question. Messrs. Lamoriello and Babcock might have some thoughts on that.
What a surprise, the usual bullshitfest from Damien Cox. Probably had this one squirreled away so he could pull it out at a low point.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The entire core needs to be revisited.

Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander lacks an elite PF like Tkachuk to play on that top line. Move Nylander out.
Two top D. If Muzzin is being extended, then trade Rielly + for a RHD.
Sandin + vet can fill out the 3/4 slots. Holl + vet can fill out the bottom pairings.
Sign a 1B goaltender and run with Campbell. Trade Andersen.

With Rielly, Nylander and Andersen as trade pieces I'm sure Dubas can come up with something even if it means trading for near ready prospects.
I don’t know if moving Nylander out is the fix. And by that I mean if there is and I don’t care mentality, I would put 2 others as the head of the snake. This is all just speculation. Only Dubas/Keefe know for sure.
It seems like the team is divided (again IMO) into team Tavares and possibly team Matthews (with Marner on that team).

If this is all the case, the team needs a gut punch, and that isn’t Nylander.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Marner is played like a creepy evil clown, making Ayers drink urine for the enjoyment of the group.

Matthews is played like a pimp who is sleeping with Ayers wife

Nylander played as a European who is struggling with English, only there for comic relief

Tavares played as a drunk womanizer who has a rink rat in every city and is too drunk to know what’s going on with the team from moment to moment

Ayers overcomes all of these obstacles to defeat the evil Maple Leafs in the Stanley cup finals, while falling in love with a local Carolina reporter who is unlucky in love but a very, very good catch.

Ayers discovers that playing goalie is just like driving a Zamboni, followed by a montage of him practicing slow Zamboni turns to work on his glove hand.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
You have to understand Dubas can't quantify things like heart, commitment, passion and leadership, so he doesn't look for those things or care about them when building a team. He's never been around men at a high level in hockey to understand the intangibles necessary to win.

Sorry but I have to disagree with that. Can't blame him for most of the players as they weren't drafted by him but if he's not looking for some of those qualities when trading or drafting someone then he's a shi**y GM.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I don’t know if moving Nylander out is the fix. And by that I mean if there is and I don’t care mentality, I would put 2 others as the head of the snake. This is all just speculation. Only Dubas/Keefe know for sure.
It seems like the team is divided (again IMO) into team Tavares and possibly team Matthews (with Marner on that team).

While I think you could balance out the roster by moving Nylander, I agree this isn't about him. If the Leafs want to cut the head off this "I don't care, just here for my payday" attitude then you move Marner. At least that would have the potential to shake things up enough to get them moving back towards being a single team that hopefully gives a damn.

But, that's an extreme move that I can't see happening. This team needs a gut punch, but not sure management has the willingness to give it to them. Not after the contracts they willingly handed out.

And yeah, it is all speculation that could be misread. But, it sure feels like there are issues in that room.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
When this team is on they do seem to be getting ahead of the curve with their speed and possession style. Just like the 2nd PIT game. I liked the Team Dubas has put together.....on paper. But as Ive mentioned in other threads, how the fack can we expect him to predict this childish, pathetic effort/play our guys exhibit so often. The lack of character in our top players is baffling and has completely wrecked any plan by Dubas and Shanny. I dont blame management yet. But now we all know. Fix it. Fix it before next season.

This core needs to know they aren't safe.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
It'll be the best thing or the worst thing. Maybe something clicks and the team gets it together. Maybe they spiral out of control and drive the 18 wheeler right over the cliff. Only time will tell.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What a surprise, the usual bullshitfest from Damien Cox. Probably had this one squirreled away so he could pull it out at a low point.

I'm sure he's been writing this one since November.

Almost seems too charitable actually, blaming their problems on inexperience.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
When this team is on they do seem to be getting ahead of the curve with their speed and possession style. Just like the 2nd PIT game. I liked the Team Dubas has put together.....on paper. But as Ive mentioned in other threads, how the fack can we expect him to predict this childish, pathetic effort/play our guys exhibit so often. The lack of character in our top players is baffling and has completely wrecked any plan by Dubas and Shanny. I dont blame management yet. But now we all know. Fix it. Fix it before next season.

This is what happens when you reward players with ridiculous paydays when they accomplished nothing and didn't deserve it. Dubas caused this and ultimately leads to the blame resting on Shanahan for letting Lou walk.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You can blame Cox and the media for many things but really, this team just keeps serving up the gold.
Like a celebrity who keeps getting caught trashing hotel room or speeding down the freeway.
They practically write the material to be used.
They should stop that.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
I totally agree
And another thing .
Marners dad didn't do mitch any favours by coming out talking about Babcock
He wont like it when his kid is know as a snitch
Marner dog its alot too
I'm not defending Damian but he is a good writer
Its not bullcrap I wont be surprised if the leafs only sell UFA S today and dubas is on the hot tin roof

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019

Turns out it was actually very easy to predict, during the first Coaches Corner of the season when the Leafs were 2-0, Don Cherry of all people saw it and declared that this team was built wrong and had no chance of winning a championship.

But a bunch a weiners on twitter who have never played competitive, much less NHL hockey knew better. And will still defend Dubas after the most humiliating loss in the history of NA sports.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
He is correct so rarely it's not even worth talking about.

FYP.

After Nylander was our only player to voluntarily practice yesterday, he is my new favourite player and my untouchable list begins and ends with him.

Reactions: coupe93

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
FYP.

After Nylander was our only player to voluntarily practice yesterday, he is my new favourite player and my untouchable list begins and ends with him.
Did he practice? They said only the Zamboni Goalie and Mikeyhev were on the ice.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The best "bad" thing to happen is that the team has slipped to playing under Keefe to how they were playing under Babcock earlier in the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->