Prospect Info: Linus Weissbach (2017, 192nd) signed to ELC

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
CSB 139 among NA Skaters

Black Book quotes:

Quotable: “He’s skilled, can score and can really skate...small though. Parts of his game kinda remind me of a slightly bigger version of a kid I coached with the Vaughan Vipers... Robert Pollesello. - HP Scout, Mark Edwards
Quotable: “That kid can fly...great skater.” - NHL Scout (May 2017)
Quotable: “For me he’s way too skilled offensively to not be worth a pick” – NHL Scout (May 2017)
Quotable: “You know who he is....it just came to my mind but. he’s a 5’8” Zach Senyshyn. He’ll probably get drafted but I’m not that big a fan...it’s all one on one stuff and he’s not on my list.” - NHL Scout (June 2017)

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
going to Wisconsin so everyone can be mad about that again.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
More from the Black Book:

Weissbach, Linus
LC – Tri-City Storm (USHL) 5’09” 156 RANKING: 174

Weissbach is in his 2nd year of Draft Eligibility, coming over to the USHL from playing for Frolunda J20 last season where many thought he had a decent shot of being drafted but were concerned with his size and how his play would translate to North America. Weissbach’s silenced some of those scouts this season as his transition to the North American game seemed flawless. Weissbach lead the Storm in Points for much of the year, despite playing with a depleted roster toward the end of the season and finished 3rd in the USHL in scoring among “Rookies” with 19 Goals and 47 Points.

Weissbach is a highly skilled and creative offensive player who has the ability to strike quickly once in the offensive zone. Linus plays with a lot of pace and energy; his feet are always moving both with the puck and without. He is good in the transition game, using his explosiveness and agility to get beyond the first wave and gain the offensive blue line quickly. Once in the zone Weissbach is difficult for defenseman to handle, his agility and speed make him hard to lineup and get a piece of, despite his smaller frame and slight build.

Linus isn’t a player you see get hit a lot which speaks to his elusiveness with the puck. When on the perimeter with the puck Linus has good vision to thread passes through the slot or is willing to take the puck there himself. Weissbach isn’t the most physical player; he doesn’t deliver a lot of hits on the fore-check or initiate contact going into corners but won’t shy away from the hard areas and is willing to take a hit to make a play. Weissbach is a player that understands what he needs to do to overcome his size
and be successful.

While Weissbach is not a liability defensively there is certainly room for growth in his play in his own end and could do more at times. His effort on the back check can rarely be questioned and is crafty in applying back pressure and creating turnovers. Weissbach probably projects better as a Winger down the road and certainly will need to get stronger but his skilled, high tempo game translates well in today’s pro game. We
would not be shocked to see a team take a flyer on the Swedish Forward. Weissbach has signed his letter of intent and will be off to University of Wisconsin in the fall.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
My program had a lot of interest in this player last fall. Able to execute high skill at high speeds. A bit individualistic, definitely cheats defensively, but capable of making defenders look bad. Not afraid to take a hit or get his nose dirty to make a play.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Was watching that just a few minutes ago. Gotta admit, I have no clue how a player with so much speed and nifty hands drops to the 7th round. Even if he's an overager. It's not like his numbers in Sweden the year before are bad so he's sprung out of nowhere. I think we may have a 7th round gem in him. Obviously still years away from the NHL but I like his chances of making it better than the average 5-7 rounder.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
That highlight reel was pretty fun to watch.

It will be interesting to see how he does in college over the next two seasons. Then we can watch everyone freak out about whether he's going UFA.

:sarcasm:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
I couldn't find a thread for Linus, search function didn't return one.

He's having quite the debut in the NCAA, two goals and just missed another.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I like speedy skilled players. Hope this guy is on the team 3 years from now. We need these kind of picks to start hitting, cant rely on 1st and 2nd rounders only forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->