Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft: #23 - LD Pierre-Olivier Joseph

Kaibur

Jan 23, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
I would have taken Tolvanen. If they felt like they needed to take a D, I would have taken Hague.

Posting so that in the future I can come back and see how wrong I was and why we pay the scouts the big money.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Almost seems like the over-thought this one. Hope he turns into something but I'm not optimistic. It's 4 or 5 years away anyway so who cares. They obviously want to be competitive sooner than that.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Almost seems like the over-thought this one. Hope he turns into something but I'm not optimistic. It's 4 or 5 years away anyway so who cares. They obviously want to be competitive sooner than that.

one of the videos Chayka said the scouts loved him and that he was "extra extra smart". A lot of those kinds of picks this year so far.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ

Joseph is a project pick but he's got strong upside. Definitely won't complain rolling the dice on someone like that at 23.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Man, this kid looked so excited to be picked. Face just lit up. I like him. Seems like he has a great attitude and should be pretty big when he fills in.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
He wouldn't have been there at #35 so I'm fine with the pick. Quality prospect with lots of upside potential.

Indeed. I'm happy.

Grimes came over to my house for brews and brats and drafts and he summed it up perfectly "LHS Murphy". That's this pick to me. And sometimes Murphys become Murphys that become Hjalmarssons. Way to cultivate an asset Boys.

It's been a good week. I'm a happy man.

Honestly, if you can't get up for a high top fade, I really don't want to be your friend. Those opposed to high top fades stand and be counted. To the "ignore" you go.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Yes, please stand up if you are against high top fade Murphy now, so you shall be ignored.

The brews and brats are in full effect.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Indeed. I'm happy.

Grimes came over to my house for brews and brats and drafts and he summed it up perfectly "LHS Murphy". That's this pick to me. And sometimes Murphys become Murphys that become Hjalmarssons. Way to cultivate an asset Boys.

It's been a good week. I'm a happy man.

Honestly, if you can't get up for a high top fade, I really don't want to be your friend. Those opposed to high top fades stand and be counted. To the "ignore" you go.

Yes, please stand up if you are against high top fade Murphy now, so you shall be ignored.

The brews and brats are in full effect.

Not a fan of beer (assuming that's what you mean by "brews"). High top fades and brats though, you can sign me up.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Did someone say high top fade?

210e155ccd22a44e7685f1a305307f12.jpg

"It's alright y'all", I think PO will "make noize" on the blue line. It's reported he has a mean "toe 2 toe" drag. I think he will "some 'em how it's done". That is, if the Coyotes don't "bounce" to Seattle first.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
There were better forwards on the board (I had Joseph ranked 28th overall) but I don't hate this pick. He's been a riser for a while, so he's on the right trajectory.

His counting stats are a little low because of a couple acquisitions Charlottetown made around midseason. Two veteran defensemen pushed Joseph down the lineup, so his minutes were fairly limited. Still, he was a sound defensive player and produced just fine.

Joseph is a bit of a project given his lack of experience and need to fill out, but his potential is very high. Because he's so raw, it's hard to say exactly in what shape his skills will develop—he could be a more offensive-minded puckmover like Nick Leddy or more of a shutdown guy like Brent Seabrook—but he's got the mobility and smarts to be a top four guy regardless.

Lucky Luke

Jun 17, 2006
This guy is a gamer.
He will be among the best defencemen in the QMJHL this coming season.
Up to now, his development trajectory looks quite similar to that of Marc-Edouard Vlasic.

Last edited:

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I don't know much about the player, but was really lovely to see the whole family togetherness and happiness when the pick was announced.

Also liked that Chayka seems to keep things simple and listen to his scouting department. It feels like Bernhardt and his team are really listened to and appreciated.

rt

May 13, 2004
Looked great in the Super Series game I caught today. Anyone else check it out?

The OEL and Chychrun contracts and POJ’s progress make me feel a little better about passing on Hughes for Hayton (Hayton’s big season so far isn’t hurting either).

rt

May 13, 2004
It's actually kinda weird. I'm more excited about POJ at his age than I was OEL at his age.
Had you seen OEL play? Haha. Not a knock on POJ but OEL’s all compass mobility and vision were other worldly for his age group. I like POJ and while he’s very impressive and might make a very good NHL player, he’s not “special” like OEL clearly always was. Closer to Connor Murphy than OEL I think. But hopefully somewhere between those two.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
POJ had good camps and was on a technical level more impressive than Hayton, despite not really gaining any weight. He looked 'special' in the way most future top 3 D look among peers. I would not move him in any deal unless it was for a very special young, controlled player.

Both he and Hayton could be the talk of HF after the WJC. Potentially.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad